Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Generally a house built in 1989 in Southern California should be up to code and solid when it come s to electricity and Plumbing.
The truth ^^^^ In the grand scheme of things, 1989 is a young home. It may have Formica countertops and earth-tone carpet. Maybe a little wallpaper too. But those are easy fixes. Just hire a good professional inspector during the 'due diligence' phase of your home purchase. Don't really on friends and father-in-laws to do the inspection.

After you buy, San Diego has some really good handymen who can fix almost anything at reasonable prices. Don't rely on people who knock on your door. Good handymen are always busy. I find my home fixers thru neighbors, friends, and Yelp.

Also be sure to negotiate that the seller pay for a 1 year Home Warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 11,756 times
We plan to live in it for a long time. We have school going kids. I will move this post to the real estate section as suggested, but the answers here did surely help! Thanks much!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:16 PM

84 posts, read 88,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This thread should be moved to the real estate section where you can the answer you need
Generally a house built in 1989 in Southern California should be up to code and solid when it come s to electricity and Plumbing.
820k is the going prices for some houses built in Carlsbad in the late 80's early 90's 2000's.
My question to you is, How long are you planing on staying in the house?
Is going to a rental, air bnb ect...
hhhmmmmm.....Where is the 'real estate section' thread? I thought everything was all together...thanks!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 PM

He's probably talking about the C-D House forum. But to me, real estate is a local issue.

Here's the House forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 10-01-2018, 06:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
There's also a real estate forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/

Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
In most of the country, a 30 year old house would be considered a "newer" home.

My house was built in 1980. I've lived in it for 28 years and we haven't had any major disasters, although we did update both the kitchen and bathrooms a few years after moving in (the electrical and plumbing didn't need to be replaced!). Meanwhile, a friend bought a custom-built house that was built in 2012, and has had major plumbing and slab issues pop up.

So, just because a house is newer, it doesn't mean it won't have issues.

Assuming your house is in a development of homes built around the same time, a good realtor who knows the area should be able to give you the heads up on any common issues for homes in that development. If not, consider talking to a few people who own homes in the neighborhood on your own if you can.

As Anita wisely notes, you can also talk to your realtor about negotiating a home repair warranty as part of your bid, but be sure you know what it does - and does not - cover.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Tile roof? Ask if the tar paper underlay has been changed.

The tiles can be in excellent shape but the tar paper gets burnt and crispy from the heat of the sun over many years. Very expensive to remove all of the tiles, put new tar paper and put the tiles back.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Tile roof? Ask if the tar paper underlay has been changed.

The tiles can be in excellent shape but the tar paper gets burnt and crispy from the heat of the sun over many years. Very expensive to remove all of the tiles, put new tar paper and put the tiles back.
We had a roof leak a few years back. Typical shingle roof. My first leak ever and we've owned homes since 1978.

So we had a local roofer come over and fix it. I asked how I can prevent future leaks. He said "You'll be fine. Just don't get a tile roof. I've put my kids thru college with all the work I've done on tile roofs."

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 PM

15 posts, read 11,756 times
Reading all these responses does make me feel a lot more at ease about considering the house. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:31 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhomemom77 View Post
Reading all these responses does make me feel a lot more at ease about considering the house. Thanks everyone!
Don’t forget you can always walk if you don’t like what you see after the inspection report, or any reason really for that matter. I’ve walked away $400 poorer during escrow vs buying a house that needed much more work than I thought after the inspection. If you don’t have a good feeling about a house, but your realtor still tries to persuade you to buy it, cancel escrow and fire your realtor.

The fact that you have kids and plan on staying in the house for the long haul is great for fixing it up to your exact liking over time. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego