Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Don’t forget you can always walk if you don’t like what you see after the inspection report, or any reason really for that matter. I’ve walked away $400 poorer during escrow vs buying a house that needed much more work than I thought after the inspection. If you don’t have a good feeling about a house, but your realtor still tries to persuade you to buy it, cancel escrow and fire your realtor.
^^^ StayHomeMom... I think you're getting an MBA in home-buying and home-ownership right here online. There's a wealth of real estate knowledge in this forum. We all have the battle scars to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 AM

84 posts, read 87,295 times
phew! thank you cruitr! Good to know I am not that crazy... haha

Old 10-02-2018, 09:36 AM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
^^^ StayHomeMom... I think you're getting an MBA in home-buying and home-ownership right here online. There's a wealth of real estate knowledge in this forum. We all have the battle scars to prove it.
This^^^

Old 10-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita house View Post
hhhmmmmm.....Where is the 'real estate section' thread? I thought everything was all together...thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
He's probably talking about the C-D House forum. But to me, real estate is a local issue.

Here's the House forum:
//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

You Guys need to get out of the San Diego and explore
See Bottom J/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There's also a real estate forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/

Old 10-02-2018, 02:21 PM

15 posts, read 11,586 times
True! Thanks!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,811,441 times
Heck, I have a 91 y.o. house and it has generally been less expensive to maintain, update and repair than most of my friends who have post 1980s houses. We’ve almost all changed out our kitchens and bathrooms over the decades but other than a couple of inexpensive roof jobs, (mostly flat roof) one just completed in conjunction with a solar PV system, a couple of window replacements (custom wood windows, NOT VINYL!) which wasn’t crazy expensive and one paint job in 20 years the old place is looking awesome and ready to go another 100 years.

As far as investment, location matters but having a mostly unmolested vintage house (we replaced ‘60s kitchen and bathrooms) in a historic neighborhood yields a 1 added in front of our purchase price 20 years ago today.

I think it matters much more as to the house’s original construction quality, including design, siting and drainage, the systems in place and the maintenance over the years than the build date. As an architect there honestly would be few post 1960 homes except for custom architect designed and/or high-end contractor built that I would invest in.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-02-2018 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Heck, I have a 91 y.o. house and it has generally been less expensive to maintain, update and repair than most of my friends who have post 1980s houses. We’ve almost all changed out our kitchens and bathrooms over the decades but other than a couple of inexpensive roof jobs, (mostly flat roof) one just completed in conjunction with a solar PV system, a couple of window replacements (custom wood windows, NOT VINYL!) which wasn’t crazy expensive and one paint job in 20 years the old place is looking awesome and ready to go another 100 years.

As far as investment, location matters but having a mostly unmolested vintage house (we replaced ‘60s kitchen and bathrooms) in a historic neighborhood yields a 1 added in front of our purchase price 20 years ago today.

I think it matters much more as to the house’s original construction quality, including design, siting and drainage, the systems in place and the maintenance over the years than the build date. As an architect there honestly would be few post 1960 homes except for custom architect designed and/or high-end contractor built that I would invest in.
Truth^^
A lot of the older homes here in San Diego used better materials, and were better constructed.
The only down side to older homes is cast iron plumbing, copper and Abs are better suited now a days.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:27 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,774,018 times
First off, House is not that old.

Secondly, worry about the following: Foundation issues/cracked slabs, major termite issues, cast iron drain lines. Other things like Roof- no0t so much the age of the roof but leaks or mold issues and Water Heaters.

Review an inspection report and negotiate costs with the seller or simply back out and be out inspection and Appraisal fees

Old 10-04-2018, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 11,586 times
Points taken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego