Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,132 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in a different thread, I have retired. The most remarkable thing I have noticed so far is being able to do things on the weekdays- its wonderful.

I have been playing golf on the weekdays-cheaper, quicker and less crowded.
I have been fishing on the weekdays-less crowded
Took one of the grandkids to a movie- matinee price and hardly anybody in there.
Went to Costco on a Tuesday morning and actually was able to park in the front.
Went to early bird special at chain restaurant-cheaper, only ones in there.

I wanted to inquire if anyone else has any weekday tips or activities that they would like to share????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 10:29 AM

3,473 posts, read 5,266,964 times
Balboa Park is far less crowded during the week. So it's vLa Jolla. Wineries are less crowded. Local reservoirs like Lake Poway or Lake Miramar are quiet. It goes on and on. The only weekday issue is not getting stuck in the afternoon rush hour.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 AM

782 posts, read 760,269 times
Fridays are probably the worse day to travel, traffic volumes are very high. Monday's seem the direct opposite, but YMMV.

I noticed a trend at work, the parking lot is much emptier on Fridays, also some local goverments have off every other Friday, that is offices are closed.

Avoid Balboa Park on Resident Free Tuesdays.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
As I mentioned in a different thread, I have retired. The most remarkable thing I have noticed so far is being able to do things on the weekdays- its wonderful.

Took one of the grandkids to a movie- matinee price and hardly anybody in there.

I wanted to inquire if anyone else has any weekday tips or activities that they would like to share????
Congratulations, Echo! I'm glad to hear that you're already loving retirement!

I have a suggestion! Since retiring two years ago, I've really enjoyed taking classes at both San Diego Oasis and San Diego State's Osher Institute. UCSD has an Osher program as well. The classes are fun and interesting and I've met a lot of great people through them. And, most of the people taking the classes at Oasis are younger retirees like myself. A number of school districts also have adult education programs during the week too. I've even taken a few classes here and there at Grossmont/Cuyamaca and Palomar CC.

Oasis: https://www.oasisnet.org/San-Diego-CA

SDSU Osher: https://ces.sdsu.edu/osher-lifelong-...institute-sdsu

UCSD Osher: https://extension.ucsd.edu/olli/membership

I also really enjoy hiking and road trips to places I've never been on weekdays. It's great to be able to get up in the morning, hop in the car, and just head out to discover someplace new. The San Diego Reader does a regular column, called Roam-A-Roma that has tons of ideas for places to explore throughout the County. I've discovered a lot of great places that I never knew existed -- including a few in my own backyard -- that way. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/roam-o-rama/

Congrats again, and enjoy!

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-06-2018 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 09:00 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Congrats Echo on retiring and also good to see Rosie back!

Being out and about on the weekday, I tend to forget about afternoon rush hour, so try to avoid getting stuck in it.

Since you live in South bay and speak Español, I would drive South to TJ and take advantage of the cheaper services down there now that you have time during the week. Car detail, car repair,/modifications, furniture repair & upholstery... pretty much anything you need to get repaired that you can drive down and bring back now that you have time.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Congrats Echo on retiring and also good to see Rosie back!

Being out and about on the weekday, I tend to forget about afternoon rush hour, so try to avoid getting stuck in it.

Since you live in South bay and speak Español, I would drive South to TJ and take advantage of the cheaper services down there now that you have time during the week. Car detail, car repair,/modifications, furniture repair & upholstery... pretty much anything you need to get repaired that you can drive down and bring back now that you have time.
good idea on getting stuff fixed down there. I just payed 150 bucks to get the washing machine fixed. I should have taken it down there. My first fix-it visit will be to the dentist, I just cracked a tooth.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Congratulations, Echo! I'm glad to hear that you're already loving retirement!

I have a suggestion! Since retiring two years ago, I've really enjoyed taking classes at both San Diego Oasis and San Diego State's Osher Institute. UCSD has an Osher program as well. The classes are fun and interesting and I've met a lot of great people through them. And, most of the people taking the classes at Oasis are younger retirees like myself. A number of school districts also have adult education programs during the week too. I've even taken a few classes here and there at Grossmont/Cuyamaca and Palomar CC.

Oasis: https://www.oasisnet.org/San-Diego-CA

SDSU Osher: https://ces.sdsu.edu/osher-lifelong-...institute-sdsu

UCSD Osher: https://extension.ucsd.edu/olli/membership

I also really enjoy hiking and road trips to places I've never been on weekdays. It's great to be able to get up in the morning, hop in the car, and just head out to discover someplace new. The San Diego Reader does a regular column, called Roam-A-Roma that has tons of ideas for places to explore throughout the County. I've discovered a lot of great places that I never knew existed -- including a few in my own backyard -- that way. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/roam-o-rama/

Congrats again, and enjoy!
good stuff. I never heard about the Osher classes. I am thinking about some kind of gardening class, maybe at Cuyamaca.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:10 AM

8,490 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post

The Costco in Mission Valley is always crowded. Recently I went on a Tuesday morning. I had a temporary disabled parking permit and every disabled parking space in their lot was taken. Unbelievable.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Congrats!

I have Fridays off- I will take care of my business between 9am-3pm because there is less congestion. I grocery shop early-early Saturday Mornings or I find that 10am on Friday is great too.

The biggie for me...
I go to the Beach a handful of times each year. I tend to go on the Fridays I have off. I can usually park without problems and I'm not stepping over people.

Shopping in general easier on the Fridays I'm off.

Haircuts another big one.

A simple public service announcement if you don't need to be on the road from 7am-9am or 3pm-6pm- don't go out. If I could modify my schedule I would, but running errands that you have time to do during non peak hours- save the car space.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The Costco in Mission Valley is always crowded. Recently I went on a Tuesday morning. I had a temporary disabled parking permit and every disabled parking space in their lot was taken. Unbelievable.
Don't get me started on Mission Valley.

They continue to develop with little to no consideration for transportation.

It has become one of the few places to shop- with Horton Plaza going out- and a tourist trap with hotels all over it.

They've decided to do a two year construction project while the Fashion Valley Mall does a huge parking upgrade. Its an absolute mess. They decided to kick off the project just before the holidays last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego