Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The CA state proposition system is flawed in part because it forces popular votes on basic legislative agenda items like selling bonds and raising taxes. If you don't like how the elected officials vote, you can vote them out. It would be better for everyone if we did.
Voting out tax and spend liberals in a liberal state? Nice in theory, but next to impossible to do in reality.

Vote YES on 6. Propositions such Prop 6 are the citizen's check and balance in a government with no check and balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
As fuel efficiency improves, the amount of gas purchased and tax revenue generated goes down.

So how do you suggest recouping the decline in gas tax revenues? Why are we catering to drivers who refuse to buy fuel efficient autos?

No on 6.
Don't forget electric cars. How much gas tax are they paying? I can't believe it but I'm a No on 6 too.

Let's just take the Libertarian approach. Pay for a road if you need to use it. We could put tolls on all roads like they do in Texas.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:24 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
I see both sides for Prop 6 and have no problem paying my way. My biggest question is this. Is the money actually going to go to roads and highways or just line the pockets of A-holes? There sin't any accountability. My vote would be yes and then reform it so KNOW beyond any doubt that we will start to see immediate efforts to improve infrastructure. Other wise, no
effing way. I'll spend my money how I see fit, thanks....not for shoes for Gov. Chithead.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Don't forget electric cars. How much gas tax are they paying? I can't believe it but I'm a No on 6 too.

Let's just take the Libertarian approach. Pay for a road if you need to use it. We could put tolls on all roads like they do in Texas.
I see your point, and it's a good one.....but being married to a Texan means we go there at least twice a year to see family. I get an earful from the FIL every time we go to eat or do whatever. The toll roads are a big point of contention and rightfully so because they are a PITA!! It's really no different than a tax forced on you because you need to get somewhere and you want to avoid a toll road, but you really can't....so there isn't "true" choice in the matter. It's just another way to force money form the citizen. Most Texans feel the same way Californians do regarding forced taxation.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
do Not vote for censured racist birther creeps judge Kreep
((too bad Judge Garland Peed did not defeat kreep last time))

Old 11-06-2018, 06:40 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Everyone has a gut reaction against "increased" taxes. The reality is that the state will continue to see declining tax revenues because people don't need to consume as much gas.

Quote:
Highways/road networks cannot exist without massive government subsidy. A libertarian approach to transportation/land use planning would have American cities focused around privately-run (or publicly-owned, profitable) transit.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
As fuel efficiency improves, the amount of gas purchased and tax revenue generated goes down.

So how do you suggest recouping the decline in gas tax revenues? Why are we catering to drivers who refuse to buy fuel efficient autos?

No on 6.
Brown already said at LEAST 30% of that tax will be diverted right on the get go, which means most of this new gas tax was created for projects "other then". Otherwise, they would have earmarked existing funding for roads don't you think?

Yes on 6 all the way. It's like giving your kid your atm card and hoping it is not spent on candy and xbox. We need defined taxes before we get hit with them. Everyone knows the union's pensions are killing the budget. The payment we have to come up with will double in just a few short years. What then? A tax on what? It's got to be reeled in.

Our kids will get stuck with this mess. https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...198062129.html

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 11-06-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Brown already said at LEAST 30% of that tax will be diverted right on the get go, which means most of this new gas tax was created for projects "other then". Yes on 6 all the way. It's like giving your kid your atm card and hoping it is not spent on candy and xbox.
+1 Yes on 6! The gov't pulls in WAY too much in taxes already. They need to cut the biggest pieces of fat like pension obligations, not ask for more money. Starve the beast and they're forced to figure it out.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:59 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Wow, a Democrat on the historically Republican County Board of Supervisors and Duncan Hunter beat out Najar Campa in the 50th Congressional District despite being under indictment.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:54 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Looks like 6 is not going to make it and since most people vote no without even looking at the matter, not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego