Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Great input on the gas thing. I absolutely agree with that mentality. Most of it is perceived and not really based in truth. Coming home for good....unless it sinks into the ocean like it's been predicted LOL....but yeah, looking forward to it more than I can put into words. Hope all is well with you!

Not in AZ like it was claimed. And if gas prices are someone's end-all-be-all for a good life, then move to where gas is cheaper. And FACT...I looked on the Flying J/Pilot website where they post real-time daily fuel prices. The cheapest is found in West Monroe at $1.85. Diesel, which I use, is $2.99. In CA it is $3.45. Not a huge savings and certainly not enough to consider a chithole like Louisiana. I am sure you can find it for $1.25 if you want to drive around and find some local convenience store that is selling cheap....but I didn't come on here to argue about fuel prices nor bitsch about them. If someone doesn't like it, move to the cheaper gas country and be happy.
Sorry didn't read all the posts so didn't know you were talking about AS. You are right though,, $1 gallon less doesn't make for a happy life anyway. Housing and utilities are actually bigger factors to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 AM

1,600 posts, read 939,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Just mentioning getting rid of Prop 13 will have people ready to burn you at the Stake here in California
Of course. When people have an unfair advantage, they fight like hell to keep it regardless of who else it hurts...as long as it's not them.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
If you have a job, Trump's new tax plan has already wiped out most of the tax breaks for your PRIMARY home. Trump eliminated most State and Local Property Tax (SALT) deductions starting with your 2018 tax return.
Wipes out "most" of the tax breaks? That's hardly true. You still have the mortgage deduction, which is worth far more than the property tax deduction for most people. No doubt his tax plan hurts many CA homeowners, but I agree with it. Further levels the playing field with renters.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Young people should be encouraged to buy houses. Trumps tax plan encourages them to rent.

House prices will still go higher. Renters will lose in the long run.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
House prices will still go higher. Renters will lose in the long run.
Then why are you wasting time on City Data? Go call your realtor today!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Wipes out "most" of the tax breaks? That's hardly true. You still have the mortgage deduction, which is worth far more than the property tax deduction for most people. No doubt his tax plan hurts many CA homeowners, but I agree with it. Further levels the playing field with renters.
Or so says somebody under 55.

People pay off their mortgages and then don't want to have to leave the state.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Or so says somebody under 55.

People pay off their mortgages and then don't want to have to leave the state.
With their housing appreciation and unfair Prop13 tax advantage, I hardly feel sorry for those people.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
With their housing appreciation and unfair Prop13 tax advantage, I hardly feel sorry for those people.
Would you feel any sorrier for them if there was no Prop13 and they were forced out of their homes due to increasing property taxes they couldn't afford on their retirement incomes and so were made homeless? (This is not a fantasy. This happened often before property tax considerations for retired people on fixed income came into existence.) Or would you criticize them for "not planning ahead" and thereby becoming homeless?

I don't mean to pick on you personally. This is a widespread attitude I've heard from many people whose real complaint is that they feel disadvantaged. We're all sometimes disadvantaged and all sometimes advantaged. Get used to it, people.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Would you feel any sorrier for them if there was no Prop13 and they were forced out of their homes due to increasing property taxes they couldn't afford on their retirement incomes and so were made homeless? (This is not a fantasy. This happened often before property tax considerations for retired people on fixed income came into existence.) Or would you criticize them for "not planning ahead" and thereby becoming homeless?

I don't mean to pick on you personally. This is a widespread attitude I've heard from many people whose real complaint is that they feel disadvantaged. We're all sometimes disadvantaged and all sometimes advantaged. Get used to it, people.
That's why I voted for Prop 13 in the first place. I knew of people making $20,000 a year who were being charged $5,000 a year in property tax. They didn't become homeless but they had to leave the state.

I figured if it turned out to be a bad idea the law would be changed. A gradual phaseout of the program can be justified on the grounds that there is a housing shortage and older people are hoarding housing to save on taxes. So let them gradually phase it out.

Of course, this will never happen with a Democratic majority in both houses and a Democratic governor. I'm not sure the Republicans would do better but can we please let them try? Most California Republicans are moderates, not Trumps.

Last edited by Larry Siegel; 12-12-2018 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Then why are you wasting time on City Data? Go call your realtor today!
I am a CA real estate broker. I hope everyone rents. It's a lose / lose deal for house renters.

My neighbors pay $3500 a month for 1700 sq ft. That's $2 a sq ft . Rent on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego