Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times

Advertisements

The great thing about govt jobs is that they have to post a salary range. My wife is an RN at Sharp and she makes in the upper part of the below salary range.

Sheriff's Detention Nurse-18454804
County of San Diego, CA
Regular - Full time - $76,523.20 - $103,708.80 Annually
Category: Corrections / Health Services / Public Safety / Nursing
Department: Sheriff
The County of San Diego Sheriff's Department is s eeking enthusiastic nurses with corrections, psychiatric, critical care, or emergency room experience for Sheriff's Detentions (Jail) Nurse (RN) If you are a licensed Registered Nurse willing to work in a locked detention facility, don't let this fantastic career opportunity pass you by! We welcome new graduate nurses! APPLY TODAY!!! For more detailed information on this position, please watch video below Sheriff's Detentions Nurse is an entry/journey level professional registered nurse class allocated only to the Sheriff's Department. Incumbents independently perform the full scope of medical and mental health nursing functions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 09:46 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
27 years working at a Bay Area Hospital and young RN's are one of the few professions I know that can buy a home here...

Typical is two incomes... RN and say Public Safety such a Police or Fire.

For some reason we have several under 30 nurses married to police or fire and they have all bought homes in the last 3 years...

The benefits are great... money is good with lots of potential for overtime.

My one single RN new home owner did it all on her own... she is 30 and decided to buy in Santa Clara... expensive to say the least...

She did it by working to RN jobs... one was three 12 hour shifts and then a second job Friday, Saturday and Sunday at another hospital... she had only Monday's off.

200k income working all the time... now that she has settleled her plan is only one more year and then will cut back to one job...

Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
27 years working at a Bay Area Hospital and young RN's are one of the few professions I know that can buy a home here...

Typical is two incomes... RN and say Public Safety such a Police or Fire.

For some reason we have several under 30 nurses married to police or fire and they have all bought homes in the last 3 years...

The benefits are great... money is good with lots of potential for overtime.

My one single RN new home owner did it all on her own... she is 30 and decided to buy in Santa Clara... expensive to say the least...

She did it by working to RN jobs... one was three 12 hour shifts and then a second job Friday, Saturday and Sunday at another hospital... she had only Monday's off.

200k income working all the time... now that she has settleled her plan is only one more year and then will cut back to one job...
My Cousin is SDPD and my Uncle is NYPD, both are Married to RN /BSN Nurses. The Connection is, the wives and husbands play match maker with all of their friends.
When i went back to NYC a couple of years back my Aunt bragged about how, she had Matched 10 of her RN Friends with 10 of my Uncles NYPD Buddies.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Or you make the sacrifices necessary so you can also be one of the people already here years from now. San Diego has always been an expensive city. Unless you were fortunate enough to be able to buy after the big recession most have had to make sacrifices or compromises to be able to live here. I’m sure there’s no shortage of contributors in this forum that have been here many years that fit this bill. Just my opinion.

As for the OP, a RN should be able to afford housing in the county. My wife is a RN and she qualified for $450K by herself when we bought this past winter. This included student debt and a car payment working against her. My advice to you is to stay put and keep saving while your husband finishes school. Although if your hours keep getting cut it like you say it might be in your best interest to move here sooner and get a better feel for the communities you’ll be able to afford and their commutes while renting in a central location.

San Diego is a great place to be a RN, not too many cities pay more. It also makes it very competitive. Just like many other fields it’s who you know, or just getting your foot in the door and proving yourself. My wife being fresh out of school had to take the latter. Fortunately for us I was able to support the two of us while she worked many low paying jobs in the field. Many organizations that she applied to got back to her 1-2 years later saying they’re now hiring. Hopefully you’ll have better luck with your experience.

Ps. You’ll be very happy when it comes time to qualify being a RN. Having that career is money in the bank to lenders. My wife pretty much got rubber stamped (figuratively speaking), while I had to provide endless financials owning a successful business. Good luck
i have too disagree with Taco, qualifying and being able to afford a 450k Home loan here in San Diego is 2 different things, Add Insurance, property taxes and thats well over 3k a month. Also 450k Doesn't get you very much or very far here in San Diego. Your Choices are, live in the hood in a fixer, or live in a condo/Townhome in a just OK Neighborhood

This is what 450k gets you in San Diego. I did find a couple of good places in El Cajon/ Chula Vista but thats about it

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...21_rect/10_zm/

Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
i have too disagree with Taco, qualifying and being able to afford a 450k Home loan here in San Diego is 2 different things, Add Insurance, property taxes and thats well over 3k a month. Also 450k Doesn't get you very much or very far here in San Diego. Your Choices are, live in the hood in a fixer, or live in a condo/Townhome in a just OK Neighborhood

This is what 450k gets you in San Diego. I did find a couple of good places in El Cajon/ Chula Vista but thats about it

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...21_rect/10_zm/
One, I said housing not a house specifically, and two, what’s wrong with a fixer? We went that route, but I’m pretty handy and my wife isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty either.

I remember this well when figuring out our budget and rates have gone up a bit, but $450K inclusive with tax and insurance was closer to $2,500 not over $3,000. I haven’t looked at rates in awhile, but my guess is it’s probably somewhere in the middle now. It’ still within a RN’s range and they’ll have a second income at some point too.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Funny how you think Phoenix has water.
Let's see... No "drought restrictions", no limits on pools, no laws against hosing off your driveway, no "water police" showing up if water appears in a gutter, water softeners are everywhere with no attempts to ban...

Not sure why you think they don't have water. But maybe ask the experts in Sacramento...

Old 10-31-2018, 11:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Let's see... No "drought restrictions", no limits on pools, no laws against hosing off your driveway, no "water police" showing up if water appears in a gutter, water softeners are everywhere with no attempts to ban...

Not sure why you think they don't have water. But maybe ask the experts in Sacramento...
Where does all this water come from?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
One, I said housing not a house specifically, and two, what’s wrong with a fixer? We went that route, but I’m pretty handy and my wife isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty either.

I remember this well when figuring out our budget and rates have gone up a bit, but $450K inclusive with tax and insurance was closer to $2,500 not over $3,000. I haven’t looked at rates in awhile, but my guess is it’s probably somewhere in the middle now. It’ still within a RN’s range and they’ll have a second income at some point too.
Check the rates

Mortgage is going to be around $2400 Interest rate are around 5% right now
https://www.google.com/search?q=mort...nt=firefox-b-1

Property Taxes are going to be in and around $4000 a Year thats $2000 every Feb/Dec(Even higher if you have some Crazy a$$ Bond)
That adds $330 every month and if you have PMI that can take you up to, and even over 3000k a month mortgage give or take. Then add in the cost of living here and its just not worth it in IMO.

Last edited by hitman619; 10-31-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 04:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
Property Tax is roughly equal to purchase price x 1.25%. For a 450k home that's around $5,625 which is $469 per month

Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Property Tax is roughly equal to purchase price x 1.25%. For a 450k home that's around $5,625 which is $469 per month
Thanks for the Correction. I figured i was off but was to lazy to check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego