Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,670 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are ready to retre in San Diego. We now live in Washington, D.C. in a neighborhood not far from downtown. We've visited SD a number of times and love the weather (who doesn't). However we're thinking of checking out a few places in LA area-namely Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey and Pasadena. We're looking for urban environment (neighborhood feel) with restaurants and shops in walking distance and some public transportation so we don't always have to drive. Price range 600-900K for a condo. Anyone out there who can provide some insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewb View Post
My wife and I are ready to retre in San Diego. We now live in Washington, D.C. in a neighborhood not far from downtown. We've visited SD a number of times and love the weather (who doesn't). However we're thinking of checking out a few places in LA area-namely Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey and Pasadena. We're looking for urban environment (neighborhood feel) with restaurants and shops in walking distance and some public transportation so we don't always have to drive. Price range 600-900K for a condo. Anyone out there who can provide some insights?
Well, I work for San Diego mass transit...

I meet people from all over who come to visit, even those from LA

I would be looking for a condo in downtown san diego,
and try

Downtown San Diego Condos Reviewed

I have no affiliation's, just had chatted with him in the past

and he seems like he knows his stuff regarding downtown San Diego

Old 04-06-2008, 02:41 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Fortunately, your price range is realistic and allows for an extensive selection in good areas. I'll assume that selecting a condominium was a deliberate choice to ensure hassle free living, and that a small house is not something you will consider.

Downtown is definitely urban, and in addition to Downtown, Park West (aka Bankers Hill) would also work. Both areas have seen extensive building of upscale condominium developments. Those in Park West are more likely to have views of either Balboa Park or the Bay.

However, if what you are looking for is a condominium in an urban neighborhood, rather than a pure urban/commercial setting, then you should also consider neighborhoods such as Little Italy, Hillcrest, Mission and South Mission Hills (aka Midtown). Also, North Park just north of Balboa Park along Park Boulevard has had several condominium projects go in.

To some extent all of these neighborhoods are a mixed bag so you should enlist the help of a skilled tour guide. Mission Hills is upscale, but is still mostly single family home oriented. Living in a condominium there may make you fill like the odd duck. Hillcrest is a bit congested, but also has the most intense street life of any of these areas. Little Italy has undergone major redevelopment in the past 20 years. It is a clean condo-centered urban neighborhood, however, being near the airport, it has some noise issues to be considered. North Park is gentrifying in areas close to the park, but is more downscale north of University Avenue.

While Coronado in some sense may fail your public transportation test, given that it is a self contained city across the bay, and is a very walkable old style town, you should give it a look. The town of Del Mar would also fit in along those lines.

And if in the end, the idea of a small house begins to appeal, then you might want to consider Kensington, certain parts of University Heights, and more parts of North Park alongside the eastern side of Balboa Park.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
There are lots of areas in San Diego that are easily accessible by trolley but downtown is obviously the most walkable. I really like Mission Valley as well. You'd be right around University of San Diego, Fashion Valley, trolley service, and a bunch of nice condos. Just search an MLS to look at the areas you are most interested in. I usually use this MLS to search properties because you don't need to register, it's pretty useful but you can only search up to 150 results at a time so you have to be specific. You can choose the area where you want to search. In your case I'd choose areas 1, 2, 3, and 4 and you can choose either attached or detached properties. You can also remove areas you're not interested in like East San Diego, Chula Vista, Normal Heights, Logan Heights, and Encanto (not nice areas) to name a few. Anyways, a basic search that I did searching only in downtown with price range $600,000-$900,000 with at least 2 bedrooms only came up with 5 results but you could easily expand it. I actually saw some really cute downtown condos for less than $600,00 when I searched earlier. Hope that helps, good luck!

This is the link to the MLS (not sure why the title comes up that way):

Search Parameters (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego