Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM

438 posts, read 524,375 times

Advertisements

I keep accidentally calling them mockingjays, having watched Hunger Games too many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Jamul

Regular visitors to my property:

Red tail hawks
Hummingbirds (Anna's and Rufus)
Roadrunners
Turkeys
Quail
Barn owls
Horned owls
Egrets
California thrashers
Hooded Orioles
California Jays
Swallows
House finches
California Towees
Gold finches
Turkey vultures
Parrots every now and then
Egrets
Plus the usual sparrows, crows, and doves

Twice, I've spotted Golden Eagles sitting on the telephone pole on our property

We're also in East County, and I swore I saw a Golden Eagle up in the Cuyamachas recently. We know them well from Idaho. So I guess I was right!

Our hawks nesting in our big Eukes seem to be Cooper's hawks, although for years I thought they were Sharpshinned hawks.

For 2-3 years we had White-tailed kites nesting in our trees, or in the canyon below our place--apparently unusual, because they are coastal birds. What a beautiful bird. But eventually the hawks and the crows chased them away.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:26 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
We're also in East County, and I swore I saw a Golden Eagle up in the Cuyamachas recently. We know them well from Idaho. So I guess I was right!

Our hawks nesting in our big Eukes seem to be Cooper's hawks, although for years I thought they were Sharpshinned hawks.

For 2-3 years we had White-tailed kites nesting in our trees, or in the canyon below our place--apparently unusual, because they are coastal birds. What a beautiful bird. But eventually the hawks and the crows chased them away.
Kites are awesome but ya, they get harassed a lot cause they are still raptor, albeit small ones.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:58 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,686,861 times
It's old, but this book is good guide for birds found in SD County. It's a classic like Jerry Schad's Afoot and Afield hiking book.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,635,114 times
Default featherless

I live in the 93013 zip. Bates Beach south of Carpinteria has some naked as Jay Birds in the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego