Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I'm suggesting an intracity transit hub, maybe like L'Enfant Plaza in DC. Obviously not the '60s design though

Transportation (i.e. moving people between places) will always be needed. Who knows what the office/retail/residential market in downtown will be in 30 years. I think the redevelopment of the largest central piece of land in downtown should be focused on civic uses, as well as private (office).

That is the latest push by advocacy group Circulate San Diego and the newest chief executive over at SANDAG. They are suggesting an intermodal center on the north side of the property. People movers are better geared towards airports than light/heavy rail due to ridership patterns, so I like that idea.
Responding to this because the thread has been refreshed by the increase in jobs announced by Apple.

I like the idea of a transit hub at Horton Plaza, but only in conjunction with office space, which you mentioned. The land is too valuable not to build up, up, up.

Certainly, we never know how the market anywhere will be for anything, and it's possible modern technology will decrease demand for office space all over the world, in which case some office buildings may become repurposed as residential. But I would like to see tall buildings go up there, with the goal of having office tenants now. Developers build for now, because they have to fill buildings now. Cities will shift and change for sure down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 12:04 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Responding to this because the thread has been refreshed by the increase in jobs announced by Apple.

I like the idea of a transit hub at Horton Plaza, but only in conjunction with office space, which you mentioned. The land is too valuable not to build up, up, up.

Certainly, we never know how the market anywhere will be for anything, and it's possible modern technology will decrease demand for office space all over the world, in which case some office buildings may become repurposed as residential. But I would like to see tall buildings go up there, with the goal of having office tenants now. Developers build for now, because they have to fill buildings now. Cities will shift and change for sure down the road.
Yes, definitely. Building simply a transit hub is no good. The only way to maximize the value of the public investment is to allow it to spur significant private investment.

That is why I also am in favor of increased density along the Midcoast trolley corridor. We are spending $2+ billion on a massive infrastructure investment and we should be putting homes along that investment. It's called land value capture ("LVC") and is essentially the same economic model that built out LA (Henry Huntington) and other major cities during the early streetcar days. It's also how Asian cities justify huge transit infrastructure investments.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:38 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Yes, definitely. Building simply a transit hub is no good. The only way to maximize the value of the public investment is to allow it to spur significant private investment.

That is why I also am in favor of increased density along the Midcoast trolley corridor. We are spending $2+ billion on a massive infrastructure investment and we should be putting homes along that investment. It's called land value capture ("LVC") and is essentially the same economic model that built out LA (Henry Huntington) and other major cities during the early streetcar days. It's also how Asian cities justify huge transit infrastructure investments.

There's been a changing of the guard among the Uptown Planners group. Goodbye Phoenix and Dallas. Hello Portland and Seattle.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2019/mar/0...yimby-housing/

Old 03-13-2019, 01:53 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
There's been a changing of the guard among the Uptown Planners group. Goodbye Phoenix and Dallas. Hello Portland and Seattle.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2019/mar/0...yimby-housing/
Not sure San Diego has been comparable to Phoenix or Dallas since the mid-90s. San Diego has had significant urban infill, especially in the 2000s. If I remember correctly, San Diego is only second to Seattle (maybe even more) in % increase in downtown population amongst all major U.S. cities.

The change was inevitable. Hopefully we can ease our way into it and really start to invest in a variety of multi-modal transportation solutions.

The old guard will fall in more communities, which is a good thing. The demographics of these outspoken planning groups rarely reflect the diversity of our communities and its about time that the long-term future of San Diego isn't dictated by people who won't be around in 20 years.

I guess it's the difference between making future growth as painful as possible, or trying to proactively plan for it to mitigate impacts to quality of life. I'm just not a fan of the visionless "do nothing" approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego