Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move to San Diego, seeking general information on San Diego, conservative, liberal, fast paced, slow paced, religious, non-religious, stereo types

Old 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,415 times

Advertisements

Conservative or Liberal? Fast paced or laid back? Does religion/church play a big role in people's lives? Are people accepting of others? Any stereotypes? Give me the low-down on San Diego. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
It's considered a conservative place overall, at least by CA standards. Personally I feel it's fairly moderate and less of the old, fashioned social conservativeness and more practical, libertarian values and more fiscally conservative. It's not Orange County but it ain't San Francisco either. The City of San Diego overall has more registered democrats than republicans. And a study of voting patterns of cities over 100,000 in the US placed SD right smack dab in the middle of the most liberal and most conservative cities. The county tends to swing right in most elections b/c of the more conservative northern suburbs. Being a military town you kind of have to expect it will be on the conservative side. There definitely are it's more liberal and conservative parts. At least that is my take on it, I don't consider myself conservative or liberal and am pretty moderate overall so I don't mind the politics here, don't love them though either.

San Diego is definitely LAID BACK! That is an essential part of the "San Diego lifestyle". Except on the freeways, people drive pretty fast in the fast lane but we just want to hurry up and get to the beach and out of our cars, haha. With the weather always so good, you just want to be outside kicking back or enjoying yourself. For some it's too slow and laid back and that can translate in boredom. For others it's exactly what they want; less stress, less hassle, less pressure to make money, ect... That's what I like about San Diego, most people here seem to work to live rather than live to work.

I'm not too sure how to answer the religion question. I myself am not religious and most people I know aren't, but I'm only 25. It is somewhat conservative so there definitely are a good cohort of church goers. It's not the bible belt but not completely devoid of organized religion either, I see plenty of churches around.

I think CA is pretty open minded and accepting of all people overall. Yes there are some close minded, racists types here and there but not anymore than elsewhere. I'm hispanic and asian mix and look full hispanic and I have never encountered racism here. Homosexuals seem to be pretty accepted here as well and for the most part don't seem alienated or anything like that. Our republican mayor supports gay marriage and most people seem to have the attitude of just wanting the govt out of people's personal lives when it comes to that issue. But I don't have many gay friends so maybe it's different from their perspective but they seem to do well and help improve some of SD's once seedy neighborhoods like Hillcrest, North Park, and U Heights.

SD does have some stereotypes and many of them are related to general Southern CA stereotypes more common in LA and Orange County. There will always be the stereotype of people in SoCal being fake and materialistic. There are some people like that here but not a significant number to where it affects the whole vibe of SD. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and people think that place is more down to earth but I find but there aren't any less fake and materialistic people there either, just a different breed; the only difference btwn the two regions is the materialistic Northern Californian will have brown hair and a Lexus hybrid instead of blond hair and a regular gas Lexus. SD being full of meatheads and frat boys is one I hear occasionally. There are those types here, again it is a military town, but it's not overwhelming and plenty of regular folks to dilute the idiots.

I love San Diego, it has many types of people. You can try to stereotype it and generalize it all you want but I don't think you can. If met and come across to many different types of people and personalities to really make some gross generalization about the people here.

I love San Diego and despite what some people say, I think the people here are great. I think we are the most friendly and nicest people in CA and are not too judgmental as much as other places like LA or the Bay Area. People don't come here to be famous or strut their stuff like LA or to be in a liberal, like minded environment or for a high paying job in the Bay Area. They come here b/c they want to and for it's lifestyle, which San Diegan's help create. It has its good and bad point like everyplace and is not for everyone. I hear people complain how it's different from where they are from or how it lacks this compared to other cities, well it is what it is. You can't have it all and if you can appreciate what SD has to offer rather then complain about its short comings relative to other places then this place can be great. We may not have the big city, high culture crap of SF, LA, NYC, ect... but we have great beaches, great weather, great outdoors, great people, and a great laid back lifestyle.

Anyways, that's my take on this place and just one man's opinion. Others may see it differently though.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's considered a conservative place overall, at least by CA standards. Personally I feel it's fairly moderate and less of the old, fashioned social conservativeness and more practical, libertarian values and more fiscally conservative. It's not Orange County but it ain't San Francisco either. The City of San Diego overall has more registered democrats than republicans. And a study of voting patterns of cities over 100,000 in the US placed SD right smack dab in the middle of the most liberal and most conservative cities. The county tends to swing right in most elections b/c of the more conservative northern suburbs. Being a military town you kind of have to expect it will be on the conservative side. There definitely are it's more liberal and conservative parts. At least that is my take on it, I don't consider myself conservative or liberal and am pretty moderate overall so I don't mind the politics here, don't love them though either.

San Diego is definitely LAID BACK! That is an essential part of the "San Diego lifestyle". Except on the freeways, people drive pretty fast in the fast lane but we just want to hurry up and get to the beach and out of our cars, haha. With the weather always so good, you just want to be outside kicking back or enjoying yourself. For some it's too slow and laid back and that can translate in boredom. For others it's exactly what they want; less stress, less hassle, less pressure to make money, ect... That's what I like about San Diego, most people here seem to work to live rather than live to work.

I'm not too sure how to answer the religion question. I myself am not religious and most people I know aren't, but I'm only 25. It is somewhat conservative so there definitely are a good cohort of church goers. It's not the bible belt but not completely devoid of organized religion either, I see plenty of churches around.

I think CA is pretty open minded and accepting of all people overall. Yes there are some close minded, racists types here and there but not anymore than elsewhere. I'm hispanic and asian mix and look full hispanic and I have never encountered racism here. Homosexuals seem to be pretty accepted here as well and for the most part don't seem alienated or anything like that. Our republican mayor supports gay marriage and most people seem to have the attitude of just wanting the govt out of people's personal lives when it comes to that issue. But I don't have many gay friends so maybe it's different from their perspective but they seem to do well and help improve some of SD's once seedy neighborhoods like Hillcrest, North Park, and U Heights.

SD does have some stereotypes and many of them are related to general Southern CA stereotypes more common in LA and Orange County. There will always be the stereotype of people in SoCal being fake and materialistic. There are some people like that here but not a significant number to where it affects the whole vibe of SD. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and people think that place is more down to earth but I find but there aren't any less fake and materialistic people there either, just a different breed; the only difference btwn the two regions is the materialistic Northern Californian will have brown hair and a Lexus hybrid instead of blond hair and a regular gas Lexus. SD being full of meatheads and frat boys is one I hear occasionally. There are those types here, again it is a military town, but it's not overwhelming and plenty of regular folks to dilute the idiots.

I love San Diego, it has many types of people. You can try to stereotype it and generalize it all you want but I don't think you can. If met and come across to many different types of people and personalities to really make some gross generalization about the people here.

I love San Diego and despite what some people say, I think the people here are great. I think we are the most friendly and nicest people in CA and are not too judgmental as much as other places like LA or the Bay Area. People don't come here to be famous or strut their stuff like LA or to be in a liberal, like minded environment or for a high paying job in the Bay Area. They come here b/c they want to and for it's lifestyle, which San Diegan's help create. It has its good and bad point like everyplace and is not for everyone. I hear people complain how it's different from where they are from or how it lacks this compared to other cities, well it is what it is. You can't have it all and if you can appreciate what SD has to offer rather then complain about its short comings relative to other places then this place can be great. We may not have the big city, high culture crap of SF, LA, NYC, ect... but we have great beaches, great weather, great outdoors, great people, and a great laid back lifestyle.

Anyways, that's my take on this place and just one man's opinion. Others may see it differently though.
That pretty much sums it up. By Texas standards it would be considered liberal but by San Francisco standards it is considered conservative. But I grew up in an extremely conservative town and I know conservative and, luckily, San Diego is not. To be honest, it could probably be considered socially apathetic. If it is conservative all, it is "Southern California conservative:" fiscally moderate/conservative, socially liberal/libertarian. And of course military friendly, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "pro-war."

Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 PM

33 posts, read 44,714 times
Hi sav858,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response to a general question!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,177 times
I lived in Utah which is extremely conservative. And while San Diego is not as far conservative as Utah (not many places are), it is far from liberal.
So yea, more moderate. The people are very laid back here. I work in the legal field and the dress is business casual all the time (unless we have to go to court). Im guessing religion does play a role in peoples lives, but its not controlling. People out here seem to be realistic, as they dont seem to let their religion control their aspirations in life. People are accepting of others (from what Ive seen).
Stereotypes may be the fake/materialistic southern californian.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM

32 posts, read 111,168 times
I've spent time in San Diego, mostly in La Jolla. It is a beautiful area with great restaurants, lots of shopping, natural beauty, excellent weather (although sometimes cooler and cloudier than you might expect, especially during the June Gloom - watch that marine layer), and nice homes. I found the people to be mainly friendly but not especially deep. I don't know if I would have many "true" friends if I lived in that area. There seems to be something of a lack of genuineness and depth to folks in that area. I don't mean to generalize but this is something I've noticed.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,978 times
Laid Back
=(

Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCowboy010 View Post
I found the people to be mainly friendly but not especially deep. I don't know if I would have many "true" friends if I lived in that area. There seems to be something of a lack of genuineness and depth to folks in that area. I don't mean to generalize but this is something I've noticed.
I think that's true for a lot of Southern California in general. Very friendly, but in a fake sort of way. People here stop to small talk in stores where back east they wouldn't bother, but it can' fool you. Both have the same opinion of "he's just some stranger" when it comes down to it.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
I think that's true for a lot of Southern California in general. Very friendly, but in a fake sort of way. People here stop to small talk in stores where back east they wouldn't bother, but it can' fool you. Both have the same opinion of "he's just some stranger" when it comes down to it.
I think that's many states, but don't know about back east. I have random conversations with strangers in stores, but at the end of the day, we're both going our separate ways as strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego