Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times

Advertisements

Yikes.

I had a similar thread awhile back I think. Just like the title says. There was an unfortunate water leak in my kitchen and now the landlord needs to rip up the entire bottom level wood floor and re-do it. They also want to repaint the kitchen.

I am leaving on a trip for 3 weeks so they can do it then but they want to put a lock box on my door. Ummm who will watch the contractor crew when I am not here ? Obviously someone needs to be there every day monitoring these guys right ? I can't have a crew in there with no one there. That's crazy.

If the landlord says " I will replace any stolen item" how would I ever prove it legally ?

Any tips ? I like the rental and the landlord and she likes me. She is a solid landlord but I also want to protect myself.

Thoughts ? And won't the paint smell get on my clothes from having the fumes in the house ?

Thanks

Last edited by CNYC; 01-16-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 PM

987 posts, read 779,931 times
Do you have cameras inside the property?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Do you have cameras inside the property?
Yes I have two NEST cameras which are amazing.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yikes.

I had a similar thread awhile back I think. Just like the title says. There was an unfortunate water leak in my kitchen and now the landlord needs to rip up the entire bottom level wood floor and re-do it. They also want to repaint the kitchen.

I am leaving on a trip for 3 weeks so they can do it then but they want to put a lock box on my door. Ummm who will watch the contractor crew when I am not here ? Obviously someone needs to be there every day monitoring these guys right ? I can't have a crew in there with no one there. That's crazy.

If the landlord says " I will replace any stolen item" how would I ever prove it legally ?

Any tips ? I like the rental and the landlord and she likes me. She is a solid landlord but I also want to protect myself.

Thoughts ? And won't the paint smell get on my clothes from having the fumes in the house ?

Thanks
Photograph everything, take any real small valuable out.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
There are zero laws that require the landlord to watch over the workers he hires.

Take plenty of photos, hide your valuables, bag your clothing and get yourself some renters insurance.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM

How would photographing my items help ? Ie. I have a photo of my bicycle then it disappears. How does the photo help minus showing what it looks like...a watch same thing ?

There are no laws ? Hard to believe. There is a law that gives them entrance to fix things but once inside no law on theft or damage ????

Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
How would photographing my items help ? Ie. I have a photo of my bicycle then it disappears. How does the photo help minus showing what it looks like...a watch same thing ?

There are no laws ? Hard to believe. There is a law that gives them entrance to fix things but once inside no law on theft or damage ????
What law would you like to see? That they have to sit there and stare at people while they work? Know what would happen then? They'd give you notice to get out, work in an empty house, and then put it back on the market at a higher rate.

You know strangers are going to be in your house, and you can't be bothered to watch them. So lock your stuff up. What else can you do?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post

You know strangers are going to be in your house, and you can't be bothered to watch them. So lock your stuff up. What else can you do?
Lets see go on a 3 week trip to Acapulco which has been paid in full or cancel trip with no reimbursement because there was a leak in the kitchen sink and you wanted to help the landlord by telling her sooner rather than later ??????

Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
I think you’re worrying about nothing. Unless you’re stupid enough to leave cash and valuable jewelry out in the open no one is gonna take anything. Most landlords/property managers and contractors I know all work with the same people for multiple jobs, it’s not worth losing steady work over taking something. Now if you answered/placed an ad yourself and took off for 3 weeks that could be a different story.

If you’re really worried about it they sell fake cameras that light up for cheap online. Spend $20 and place a few around your place for piece of mind.

If I was in your position I’d be more ecstatic that I would be gone while they did the work. I lived through the hell of contractors coming over at 7am, after getting home at 3am, for months while they put in new windows, a new roof, remodeled the bathroom, and rewired the place. Our landlord was a cool guy and never raised our rent, but we saw this as a test of wills to see if we’d move so he could.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
I'd put a lock on the bedroom door and move anything small (of value) in there. If the LL says no to altering the bedroom door, i'd at least put a lock on the biggest closet door and place my things in there.

Take photographs of the tv and other large items that can't be moved back there.

Have a renter's insurance policy in place (not trying to advertise, but as an example, Lemonade is quick and easy to sign up online and starts at around $6/mo)

Direct one of the Nest cameras toward the locked door area, if possible. At least you can log on and peek in now and again.

I know it sounds like a lot, but if I was gone for 3 weeks, i'd feel better knowing I took action against the temptations of some random sub contractors the LL found wandering outside Home Depot

edit: I used to work at Lowe's on the weekends in the Paint department. Most interior latex paints these days have low or no VOC, also low odor that shouldn't seep and stay in soft items for long. If they're using oil based paints in there though, that smell is still strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: