Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
“Electric hotplate”? What camper uses electricity for cooking without service hookups?

You can buy an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle, and they come in different wattages for what's needed. Mine is a 400w, and I only use it for charging my phone, but a higher wattage one will run appliances.
Sure. I understand this. I have a 2000 watt pure sinewave invertor/charger on my boat and another in my diesel van (I pull boats up and down the coast from Canada to Mexico multiple times a year and live in the van and on the boats) ... with house battery banks ... etc. You still wouldn’t use your vehicle / house batteries for electric cooking because it draws down the battery charges too low too fast. Inverters such as you have are great for charging cell phones, computers, electric shavers and toothbrushes ... but not for cooking, microwaving, a/c, and the like that draw 1,000 watts + continuously ...

But anyway, if Taco saw that I would guess the rv was running a generator ... or else it was a propane hot plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 12:18 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sure. I understand this. I have a 2000 watt pure sinewave invertor/charger on my boat and another in my diesel van (I pull boats up and down the coast from Canada to Mexico multiple times a year and live in the van and on the boats) ... with house battery banks ... etc. You still wouldn’t use your vehicle / house batteries for electric cooking because it draws down the battery charges too low too fast. Inverters such as you have are great for charging cell phones, computers, electric shavers and toothbrushes ... but not for cooking, microwaving, a/c, and the like that draw 1,000 watts + continuously ...

But anyway, if Taco saw that I would guess the rv was running a generator ... or else it was a propane hot plate.
It wasn’t an RV in the classic sense. It was a old truck with a camper shell that can fit into a parking spot. He had his engine running (I assume, maybe it was a generator, but it sounded like an engine) with the hot plate on his hood with a cord running through his window. Sorry, maybe I should’ve clarified that a bit better when I said he started cooking on the sidewalk.

I will say not everyone living out of their car at the beach is a derelict. There was a very nice retired aged couple that lived in a tiny old motor home on Hornblend St. between Mission Blvd and Bayard in PB for years before the city enacted the overnight RV rules. I’d often park over and got to know him fairly well. I still see him around in his green and white rig.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
stadium parking lot is a great idea. Sanitary facilities, health resources and outreach all in one place. Letting people live in their car in front of other people's home is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
stadium parking lot is a great idea. Sanitary facilities, health resources and outreach all in one place. Letting people live in their car in front of other people's home is a disaster waiting to happen.
The problem with something like this is you invite everyone and their dog to move here in their jalopy putting a even bigger strain on our resources. Next thing you know we’ll have Slab City by the sea. I do agree having people openly living in their cars in front of peoples houses is a HUGE receipe for disaster.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:

I have one of these bolted to the floor of my truck's console along with an AB switch so I can make sure I don't use too much and not be able to start my diesel. It's wired directly to one battery. I keep a 700 watt microwave in the back along with one of those george forman grill hamburger presses. Oh, and a big ice chest to store my food.

I have a solar panel hooked up to it to so even if I use too much it can have time to charge.

When I managed little league I didn't have time to eat so this allowed me to eat after I got to the field. Especially important on days we didn't open the snack bar.

My cabover camper is all propane so I can use everything but the AC. For that I have a 3000 watt quiet genny built into the side of it.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I have one of these bolted to the floor of my truck's console along with an AB switch so I can make sure I don't use too much and not be able to start my diesel. It's wired directly to one battery. I keep a 700 watt microwave in the back along with one of those george forman grill hamburger presses. Oh, and a big ice chest to store my food.

I have a solar panel hooked up to it to so even if I use too much it can have time to charge.

When I managed little league I didn't have time to eat so this allowed me to eat after I got to the field. Especially important on days we didn't open the snack bar.

My cabover camper is all propane so I can use everything but the AC. For that I have a 3000 watt quiet genny built into the side of it.
Lol. Great minds think alike, etc I also have the shunt to ensure vehicle battery charges first - and the back-up start from house battery bank if vehicle battery fails. Plus auto-transfer switch when I plug in to shore supply ...

It isn’t that what Taco saw can’t be / isn’t done ... it’s that most raggedy street campers don’t engineer their rigs with these [costly] systems ... so his comment made me blink a second.

He mentions later he saw extension cord running into cab and the truck engine was running. So does sound like the cook had an inverter and was running the engine / alternator to boost batteries during draw down best the alternator could put out. So the cook likely had it figured out somewhat even if minimally. I also typically run the diesel a few minutes when microwaving though I don’t have to.

But, once again, most street campers are just trying to get by on fumes and 7-11 burritos microwaved in-store. Taco’s camper probably had some kind of primitive sanitary system figured out as well (as I have), whereas most don’t ... hence the need for sanctioned, supervised facilities.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The problem with something like this is you invite everyone and their dog to move here in their jalopy putting a even bigger strain on our resources. Next thing you know we’ll have Slab City by the sea. I do agree having people openly living in their cars in front of peoples houses is a HUGE receipe for disaster.
Well, not really. Your reaction is understandable ... but if we think on it a minute, not so much.

There aren’t a lot of people just waiting for a better opportunity to live in their cars. Hardly anybody (except maybe me and Angry ) are finding the lifestyle comfy and appealing. Those who are forced into it already exist ... and most are wishing they could find a way out. If what you suggest would happen were the actual case, Santa Barbara would be overrun ... but their homeless parking lots haven’t overflowed with new residents from around the state and country ... been running the program for years without that result.

The “strain on our resources” is already ongoing. In fact, organizing the venue will reduce strain and increase safety for the community through supervision.

By the way: best model is still Housing First, which saves between 20% and 60% wherever around the country it is implemented compared to the respective costs of unmanaged homeless chronics.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Well, not really. Your reaction is understandable ... but if we think on it a minute, not so much.

There aren’t a lot of people just waiting for a better opportunity to live in their cars. Hardly anybody (except maybe me and Angry ) are finding the lifestyle comfy and appealing. Those who are forced into it already exist ... and most are wishing they could find a way out. If what you suggest would happen were the actual case, Santa Barbara would be overrun ... but their homeless parking lots haven’t overflowed with new residents from around the state and country ... been running the program for years without that result.

The “strain on our resources” is already ongoing. In fact, organizing the venue will reduce strain and increase safety for the community through supervision.

By the way: best model is still Housing First, which saves between 20% and 60% wherever around the country it is implemented compared to the respective costs of unmanaged homeless chronics.
I was not aware Santa Barbara had a program like that. I used to spend a lot of time in the area when my sister went to UCSB, but that was many moons ago. I honestly don’t know the last time I’ve actually set foot in that town. Regardless, San Diego is a different beast than Santa Barbara and I still think our lots would get overrun. But you do know the homeless situation better than most so maybe you’re right.

And yes I am jealous of yours and 1ATP rigs. In a different life I’d be more than content in one. I used to spend many nights on my old 25’ sailboat and could live happily in a small space despite my tall stature. Heck I had a couple of cheap studios back in the day that weren’t much bigger, lol.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I was not aware Santa Barbara had a program like that. I used to spend a lot of time in the area when my sister went to UCSB, but that was many moons ago. I honestly don’t know the last time I’ve actually set foot in that town. Regardless, San Diego is a different beast than Santa Barbara and I still think our lots would get overrun. But you do know the homeless situation better than most so maybe you’re right.

And yes I am jealous of yours and 1ATP rigs. In a different life I’d be more than content in one. I used to spend many nights on my old 25’ sailboat and could live happily in a small space despite my tall stature. Heck I had a couple of cheap studios back in the day that weren’t much bigger, lol.
You can google it for more coverage, if you’re interested, of course. Lots of write-ups. But here’s one quick overview from local media:
https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barb...sure/791631441

Article mentions something else I didn’t: many who are living out of their cars are also employed, just not earning enough for rent. Lots of seniors turning to living on 4 wheels as well.

Living small has always suited me. Pretty much everything within reach from my bunk Easy to keep clean and tidy. No space for chaos.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
You can google it for more coverage, if you’re interested, of course. Lots of write-ups. But here’s one quick overview from local media:
https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barb...sure/791631441

Article mentions something else I didn’t: many who are living out of their cars are also employed, just not earning enough for rent. Lots of seniors turning to living on 4 wheels as well.

Living small has always suited me. Pretty much everything within reach from my bunk Easy to keep clean and tidy. No space for chaos.
Pretty cool. I’m gonna search the web for the HBO episode of Vice that goes in depth about it. I guess the difference of what they do with multiple smaller lots is a much more manageable solution. I was envisioning the Qualcomm lot being used and creating a free for all when people suggested that as an option. Although I’m sure, just like with the shelters, many won’t want to use them if there’s rules involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego