Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am looking to move to San Diego in the next several months with my caretaker and my two companion animals. We currently reside in Northern California and my health is not only compromised by the air quality due to my asthma, allergies and other serious health issues, but by the lack of professional care offered.

In San Diego I will have not only have a better climate but the proper medical staff that I need for a better quality of life.

We have been searching for rentals for several months now but have not had much success as of yet.

We have also spoken to several realtors but where they directed us was not very successful, and we even attempted craigslist which we will never do again.

We would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the San Diego County area knows of any rental realty agents that perhaps we may have missed or if they have any ideas we may not have entertained as of yet. Any help to get to San Diego/County would be so welcomed.

Thank You.
Seth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Unlike some cities, San Diego does not have a centralized rental listing service. Your best deals will be directly with the rental property owners.

Personally, I would never rent a place without setting foot in it. Many people rent/buy 'sight unseen'. Too risky for me.

When I moved here almost 20 years ago, I bought 30 days at a cheap hotel. I made finding a rental property a full-time job. I'm from Missouri. You need to 'show me' before I sign anything.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,107 times
Of course you view a place before you rent it. Everyone knows that. There are many property managers and rental agents throughout SD. I have dealt with many.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci38 View Post
Of course you view a place before you rent it. Everyone knows that. There are many property managers and rental agents throughout SD. I have dealt with many.
Not everybody thinks like you. I have a neighbor who paid $900k for a house based on pictures. They were not happy when they set foot in the house.

Craigslist is probably your best place for rental properties. However, there are a ton of scams on Craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably a scam.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM

84 posts, read 88,215 times
The rental market in San Diego is tough! ( as I am sure you have noticed...haha). Although I usually don't recommend it, Zillow does have a rental tab that allows rental property owners to 'advertise' for free. Oftentimes, they will let potential renters take a look at the property on a specific day during a specific time-- I have seem as many as 30 people show up for these 'views' and opportunity to rent. There are some independent companies I know of that manage specific regions fairly well so that may help in your search. Perhaps you have already done all of this but hang in there, something will come up! Good luck!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Hello:

I am looking to move to San Diego in the next several months with my caretaker and my two companion animals. We currently reside in Northern California and my health is not only compromised by the air quality due to my asthma, allergies and other serious health issues, but by the lack of professional care offered.

In San Diego I will have not only have a better climate but the proper medical staff that I need for a better quality of life.

We have been searching for rentals for several months now but have not had much success as of yet.

We have also spoken to several realtors but where they directed us was not very successful, and we even attempted craigslist which we will never do again.

We would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the San Diego County area knows of any rental realty agents that perhaps we may have missed or if they have any ideas we may not have entertained as of yet. Any help to get to San Diego/County would be so welcomed.

Thank You.
Seth
Unless you can afford to live right on the coast the air quality will not be good and can aggravate your asthma.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Unless you can afford to live right on the coast the air quality will not be good and can aggravate your asthma.
For some values of 'not good'. Especially compared to where the OP is moving from. I have mild asthma and have no problem living not at all right on the coast.

But, OP, it is something more for you to investigate if even mild air quality issues are a problem for you.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 12,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is correct. I relocated to N. County from SF East Bay a few years ago; I'm 4 miles from the beach. I have pretty bad Grass and Tree pollen allergies, which became more problematic after I moved South - allergist advised this is not a good area for me.

Reason: mild year-round climate means that virtually any tree, grass, etc. will grow here AND it will grow virtually year-round, there is no dormant season as the coldest time in winter is not cold enough to really shut down pollination.

If you suffer from plant pollen allergies think hard about relocation- San Diego may not be the best choice.

Good Luck/Bill

Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
Hello:

Thank You.
Seth
Hopefully you know exactly which allergens are a problem for you. I'm a native San Diegan who lived near the coast - Point Loma and La Jolla specifically - until age 10. My asthma was life-threatening. Then we discovered I was deathly allergic to mold which is prevalent in coastal areas, even outdoors. Eucalyptus trees are notorious for mold, for example. We moved to the more arid East County and I never had any more asthma issues until I lived very briefly in Santa Monica while house hunting. Another life-threatening asthma attack. As long as I live in dry areas (now near Sacramento), I'm fine. So be sure you know what your triggers are - it will help you make the right decision the first time.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your quest for housing but I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
You haven't found anything? Or you haven't found the 3 bedroom two blocks from the beach for $800?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego