Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM

103 posts, read 215,920 times

Advertisements

I'm finally getting fed up with paying almost $300/month for internet and cable TV via COX.

I'm starting my investigations into dropping everything except internet via COX.

What have been your experiences and recommendations and their cost?

I've presently got Amazon Prime.. but use Netflix more.. I'm not a traditional sports guy but do like to watch motor racing.. IMSA.. Formula 1 etc

Thanks in advance..

-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 01:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
I have youtubeTV, Amazon and Netflix. I got rid of cable a few years ago. And a high quality antennae for local channels.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:22 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
This topic was just beat to death this past spring/summer.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...lling-get.html

Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I looked into it. However, I get 400Meg broadband service, free equipment (updated periodically), almost every channel Spectrum (fka Time Warner) offers, a free hard-wired call-anywhere phone, and priority tech support 24 hours a day. I also get free iPhone apps and free Roku apps with all possible channels. For $200 a month, it's hard to beat a Spectrum package.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Dropped $130/mo DTV and Verizon mifi for internet once wireless broadband became available, now Prime/Hulu w/liveTV, and HBO is $55/mo.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Here's another recent thread where the subject was beat to death:
//www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...pros-cons.html

You can read yourself silly reading all the posts. There's another thread, too, on the very same subject. Those of us who have responded to those threads probably aren't going to bother giving the very same detailed information again and again.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitViper View Post
I'm finally getting fed up with paying almost $300/month for internet and cable TV via COX.

I'm starting my investigations into dropping everything except internet via COX.

What have been your experiences and recommendations and their cost?

I've presently got Amazon Prime.. but use Netflix more.. I'm not a traditional sports guy but do like to watch motor racing.. IMSA.. Formula 1 etc

Thanks in advance..

-A
I had DirectTV (NFL Ticket and Sport Upgrade) 84.00, ATT Internet and Phone 79.00 and Netflix 10.99. Netflix just went up to 12.99 a month.

I’ve been a DirectTV user for over a decade and now I hate that ATT bought them out. I just recently got rid of AT&T internet and phone. They have no fiber optics in some areas and the service was awful. They made me purchase a 50.00 extender that did nothing...I had to call multiple times to get them to drop a termination fee after the service didn’t work. It was so bad my Netflix cut out.

I went to Cox and have much better connectivity and it’s the same price. We had spectrum internet before AT$T and had no issues with spectrum.

I love Directv. And I need it for the Ticket. They were very easy to work with and I’ve also negotiated my rate and have gotten nfl ticket for a reduced rate or free every year. Since the move to AT&T their service and flexibility have gotten worse.

300 a month is extremely costly. I have what I consider a really good mix of things for 175 a month. Just Stay far away from AT&T

Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I dropped COX about 3 months ago and don't miss it one bit.
Was glad to drop off the cable boxes and rented modems, routers, etc to their office.

I now have Google Fiber (i live in Irvine) and pay about $50/month for that plus Nextflix, Amazon Prime and HULU.
Love that I give none of my money to COX. I was paying over $200/month in cable and internet with COX. Had a basic service with the HD box on 2 TVs...that was it. I felt like all I ever did was watch commercials and very very few of the channels offered.

Now, I pay total of $85 for all the services I need...many of them with no commercials. Watch only what I want, when I want... including HGTV, CNN, local channels, NatGeo, Bravo, E!and all the other shows affiliated with the apps. Currently watching Handmaid's Tale on HULU.. #obsessed. and im saving money! Take that, COX!

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Hilarious stuff here. You are all still giving money to a company that mostly uses some type of medium, cable, fiber, dish or twisted pair to get your fix. But hey, if it makes you feel better. Rabbit ears or you are paying a "cable company/phone company" for content.

No one wants to admit that though, do they? Just get the cheapest internet and go the sling box, aka other knock off product out there and be done with it.

I use my phone as a modem with unlimited data. Get everything over my computer.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 PM

987 posts, read 779,462 times
I have clear tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego