Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times

Advertisements

The Op says she has a green card. A green card also known as an I-551 or legal alien residency gives someone the right to live and work in the US. There are many ways to acquire one. What is the further investigation going on here. She said she has one, what else do you need to know? Maybe she should post her petition and I-130 online for everyone to see, would that make you happy.

The only two people she will need to prove her legal right to work and live in the US are designated immigration officers (such as Border Patrol, CBP Officers, ICE agents, and HSI) and her perspective employer via I-9 requirements. Definitely no need to explain herself to wannabe internet lawyers.

KareninNH2012...I'm sorry I hurt your feeling with my obvious joking. I suggest you find a safe space to chill out for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:07 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Really? On what basis did you earn a green card? I'm not being snarky -- I am really curious. Bartending is certainly NOT an occupation that would give you a green card, nor is being an occasional massage therapist. AND you never mentioned it, despite 2 other posts asking you about your legal status. (And note, those questions were NOT meant to be mean to you -- they were simply asking how you could be working legally in the U.S. when all indicators said that you COULDN'T be.) Why did you not answer them? (I mean, if you had a green card, which you now say, why didn't you just say it then? Could it be because you could not possibly get a green card for being a bartender?)

Sorry to keep at this, but the hypocrisy of posts in this thread is just really, really troubling. If you substitute "Mexican" for "Irish" in the first post, the responses would have been very, very different -- the first question would have been "Are you an illegal?" But instead, because you say you are 29 and Irish, one of the first posters to respond says that you must be "hot," and he facetiously asks you to come live with him (even though his wife would object). Somehow I don't think he would make that same offer to a Mexican illegal immigrant (in fact, those people are usually just called "illegals," as if their immigrant status is all that they are -- but somehow that did not apply to you).

FOR THE RECORD, I think being an Irish woman bartending at an Irish bar would be FANTASTIC for both you and the patrons (I expect they would find it charming and amusing, as would I) -- BUT U.S. law does not see it the same way, and I simply cannot see how you could do that legally, AND you ignored my previous questions about your legal status, which of course speaks volumes despite your NOW saying you somehow have a green card -- despite being in a profession which would under no circumstances EARN you a green card. So could you perhaps clarify?

For example, if you came to the U.S. four years ago on a student visa (when you would have been 25 -- a BIT old for a student visa), it would have expired long ago (and of course that would not have led to a green card, either). So this is, you know, puzzling.
This is California, please take your racist rant to P and C. We give illegals drivers licenses and tax IDs here. I really doubt you care about someone being illegal, just that you need a prop. I knew 2 straight up white chicks from S Africa and Canada that got deported. Does that help?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:12 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
The Op says she has a green card. A green card also known as an I-551 or legal alien residency gives someone the right to live and work in the US. There are many ways to acquire one. What is the further investigation going on here. She said she has one, what else do you need to know? Maybe she should post her petition and I-130 online for everyone to see, would that make you happy.
Seriously? Come on, I asked her twice about her legal status to work in the US (which, please note, was NOT an attack on her AT ALL -- simply a question about how she would be able to work in San Diego). She completely ignored my questions, while answering other posts. Then later, after yet another poster asked the same thing, she wrote a one-line post saying she had a green card -- ignoring the fact that someone working as a bartender simply could not GET a green card to work in the U.S. If you doubt that, please read the rules about immigrating to the U.S.

Quote:
The only two people she will need to prove her legal right to work and live in the US are designated immigration officers (such as Border Patrol, CBP Officers, ICE agents, and HSI) and her perspective employer via I-9 requirements. Definitely no need to explain herself to wannabe internet lawyers.
Of course she doesn't have to "prove" anything to us, but we do have the right to be dubious, given that she said NOTHING about her legal status in the U.S. when first asked. And I have read dozens if not hundreds of posts on C-D from people who want to move to the U.S. for work, and of course the first question always is, Do you have the legal right to come here? Because if you DON'T, it will be difficult, perhaps impossible under the current administration. It's not a crazy question.

But somehow this 29-year-old Irish woman posts, and it's like, "Yes! You sound hot! Come live with me!" (from you) and advice (from others) about where she might apply for work -- with absolutely no question at all as to whether she has the RIGHT to work in the U.S. -- which would typically be the FIRST question asked. And of course her lack of responses to my original questions, which were not in any way rude or abusive, makes it pretty clear that she DOESN'T have the legal right to be here (despite her later one-line answer "I have a green card" -- seriously? by virtue of being a bartender? um, sorry, but no, that's not possible).

Quote:
KareninNH2012...I'm sorry I hurt your feeling with my obvious joking. I suggest you find a safe space to chill out for a while.
LOL, you didn't hurt my feelings at all -- it was clear you were being silly. My first thought, though, was, would you be silly in the same way if a MEXICAN were saying they wanted to move to San Diego when it was really clear that they were in the U.S. illegally? Maybe you would, but given the anti-illegal-immigrant sentiment in the U.S. (and perhaps especially in California), come on -- I doubt it. Let's be honest here.

Again, do I think that U.S. immigration policy should allow, say, an Irish person to work at a U.S. Irish bar? Actually, yes, I do, in some situations (like students coming to the U.S. on student visas for a year or two). But given that the OP simply could NOT get a green card to the U.S. as a bartender, then can we please acknowledge that fact and ask her how she will work in the city she wants to move to? How is that being rude or oppressive or anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is California, please take your racist rant to P and C. We give illegals drivers licenses and tax IDs here. I really doubt you care about someone being illegal, just that you need a prop. I knew 2 straight up white chicks from S Africa and Canada that got deported. Does that help?
Oh, man. How on earth were my questions some sort of a "racist rant"? You didn't address ANY of the questions I asked (e.g., how could she get a green card by being a bartender?) -- just said mine was a "racist rant." (Given that I am white and the OP is likely white, not sure how that is the case.) And if you knew "2 straight-up white chicks from South Africa and Canada that got deported" ... do you want the same thing to happen to the OP?

Old 03-20-2019, 06:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
And of course her lack of responses to my original questions, which were not in any way rude or abusive, makes it pretty clear that she DOESN'T have the legal right to be here (despite her later one-line answer "I have a green card" -- seriously? by virtue of being a bartender? um, sorry, but no, that's not possible).
Can you imagine how more foreigners would be in the US if they knew they could get a green card by being a bartender. Heck, half of the entire European continent would be over here livin' the dream!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Of course she doesn't have to "prove" anything to us, but we do have the right to be dubious, given that she said NOTHING about her legal status in the U.S. when first asked.

The original poster answered your question. She says she has a green card.

Now, if you have some answers to her questions about SAN DIEGO, which is the topic of this forum, please feel free to chime in.

Otherwise, perhaps you might want to take your "right to be dubious" over to the politics forum, or the immigration forum for further discussion.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-20-2019 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Can you imagine how more foreigners would be in the US if they knew they could get a green card by being a bartender. Heck, half of the entire European continent would be over here livin' the dream!
Again, do you have any information to offer about San Diego? That's the topic of this thread/forum.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-20-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Quote:
Seriously? Come on, I asked her twice about her legal status to work in the US (which, please note, was NOT an attack on her AT ALL -- simply a question about how she would be able to work in San Diego). She completely ignored my questions, while answering other posts. Then later, after yet another poster asked the same thing, she wrote a one-line post saying she had a green card -- ignoring the fact that someone working as a bartender simply could not GET a green card to work in the U.S. If you doubt that, please read the rules about immigrating to the U.S.

Of course she doesn't have to "prove" anything to us, but we do have the right to be dubious, given that she said NOTHING about her legal status in the U.S. when first asked. And I have read dozens if not hundreds of posts on C-D from people who want to move to the U.S. for work, and of course the first question always is, Do you have the legal right to come here? Because if you DON'T, it will be difficult, perhaps impossible under the current administration. It's not a crazy question.

But somehow this 29-year-old Irish woman posts, and it's like, "Yes! You sound hot! Come live with me!" (from you) and advice (from others) about where she might apply for work -- with absolutely no question at all as to whether she has the RIGHT to work in the U.S. -- which would typically be the FIRST question asked. And of course her lack of responses to my original questions, which were not in any way rude or abusive, makes it pretty clear that she DOESN'T have the legal right to be here (despite her later one-line answer "I have a green card" -- seriously? by virtue of being a bartender? um, sorry, but no, that's not possible).

LOL, you didn't hurt my feelings at all -- it was clear you were being silly. My first thought, though, was, would you be silly in the same way if a MEXICAN were saying they wanted to move to San Diego when it was really clear that they were in the U.S. illegally? Maybe you would, but given the anti-illegal-immigrant sentiment in the U.S. (and perhaps especially in California), come on -- I doubt it. Let's be honest here.

Again, do I think that U.S. immigration policy should allow, say, an Irish person to work at a U.S. Irish bar? Actually, yes, I do, in some situations (like students coming to the U.S. on student visas for a year or two). But given that the OP simply could NOT get a green card to the U.S. as a bartender, then can we please acknowledge that fact and ask her how she will work in the city she wants to move to? How is that being rude or oppressive or anything else?

Oh, man. How on earth were my questions some sort of a "racist rant"? You didn't address ANY of the questions I asked (e.g., how could she get a green card by being a bartender?) -- just said mine was a "racist rant." (Given that I am white and the OP is likely white, not sure how that is the case.) And if you knew "2 straight-up white chicks from South Africa and Canada that got deported" ... do you want the same thing to happen to the OP?

Like I said, there are many ways to gain residency in the US. She could have had a family member petition for her ( brother, sister, father, mother...child etc), she could be the recipient of a significant public benefit parole or humanitarian parole. She could have been a victim of trafficking or violence and made eligible through TVPRA. She may have gained it through marriage and then divorced. There are other ways, and I could go on and on. I know a lot about immigration law, I consider myself a subject matter expert. I could debate you on this subject till the end of time but I got better stuff to do.

Also, my wife is from Mexico. Born and raised in Mexico. Now you probably want to ask me about my wife's status in the US.....

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Like I said, there are many ways to gain residency in the US. She could have had a family member petition for her ( brother, sister, father, mother...child etc), she could be the recipient of a significant public benefit parole or humanitarian parole. She could have been a victim of trafficking or violence and made eligible through TVPRA. She may have gained it through marriage and then divorced. There are other ways, and I could go on and on. I know a lot about immigration law, I consider myself a subject matter expert. I could debate you on this subject till the end of time but I got better stuff to do.

Also, my wife is from Mexico. Born and raised in Mexico. Now you probably want to ask me about my wife's status in the US.....
Sounds like it's a go... since she's from Mexico No problemo

Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 10,399 times
WOW - Feeling so in demand right now!!

@ karen_in_nh 2012 the reason i didnt respond to you immediately is
1) Its none of your business. Unless your planning on employing me then i will happily give you my info. (Ive been in NY 4 years now i understand how it works).

2) You asked me (a stranger on the internet) "how" i got my legal right to work here. That is DEFINITELY NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

3) Four recurring posts in a row asking the same question. ONE question does not need numerous PARAGRAPHS to ask it. Therefore you seem a little nuts to me.
Look @moved simple question "do you have a work visa" - i said yes a green card. Although i dont HAVE to answer him, but he seemed normal compared to your lecturing questions. And hoping you will see it, understand it, and therefore calm down! Unfortunately that did not happen... Because you sent me a private message, asking the same question again, well was more of a stupid misinformed question - How could i get a green card by being a bartender? I never said i got it by being a bartender. Nobody did, only you did, by jumping to conclusions about something you know nothing, and, by right shouldn't know either because THIS stranger on the internet does not want to give out my personal business to ANOTHER stranger on the internet! Really - i have to explain that ??!
@echo42 explains there are many ways to get a green card, but you just NEED to know my way!? No you dont.

4) Your posts became pretty funny after a while, the longer i left you wondering the funnier it got! Im irish i got a sense of humour and we dont take things too serioulsy but I just couldnt believe how obsessed you seemed to be getting!

You ask "could i perhaps clarify how i earned my green card?" NO. Absolutely not. I dont see why anybody should answer that. How would you like if i asked you how did your parents/grandparents get their legal documents to live and work here and how did they do it and when did they do it? bla bla bla....

5) Your jumping on the illegal immigration chatter bringing up Mexicans. Why- Is it necessary when u got the answer you wanted? Sounds like you want a big political immigration conversation so as @RosieSD suggested maybe the immigration/political forum is best for you. So hop on over, enjoy and hope to never hear from you again! But i hope i made your day!

To everyone else who replied to her, cheers for stating obvious facts to help her through this difficult time.
Peace out

Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM

587 posts, read 443,717 times
Just wanted to say that my husband and I went to Ireland last year and drove along the west coast to Galway, Dingle, Connemara, and along the Wild Atlantic Way and loved that whole area and can't wait to visit again!

Good luck with your plan to come to San Diego. I hope you are able to make it happen. Feel free to ask any questions you have here as you finalize your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego