Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 PM

25 posts, read 20,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Remember when Saturday Night Live exposed the San Diego Bruh on national TV? Still cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLpMqo8LnIQ
Kyle Mooney is from San Diego. He graduated from Scripps Ranch High in '03. Him and Beck Bennett were doing those SoCal sketches/videos since before SNL and I guess Lorne liked them enough to let them keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Sally Field type

Old 03-27-2019, 09:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak3 View Post
Kyle Mooney is from San Diego. He graduated from Scripps Ranch High in '03. Him and Beck Bennett were doing those SoCal sketches/videos since before SNL and I guess Lorne liked them enough to let them keep doing it.
I remember one of these sketches from the CityData Bros thread lol!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Curious if people have noticed any traits, peculiarisms, dialects, words, driving habits, fashion etc. of a person that would make you think "oh this person is from San Diego/Southern California"?

I recently read that San Diegans were voted one of the worst drivers in the nation.

Also, as a San Diegan, we all know what breakfast burritos and California burritos are, and that every other taco shop is a "bertos" of some type.

What other things give away San Diegans?
As a transplant, here are the things I see as giveaways:

1) When you bring up the fact that San Diego is one of the largest cities in North America and only has one pro sports franchise and how weird that is, they will get defensive and reply, 100% of the time with "well, it's different because there is just so much to do here so pro sports are irrelevant."

This, of course, is ridiculous, as Los Angeles has exponentially more things to do than San Diego (in the same setting with MORE parks, mountains, etc), has NINE pro franchises in the metro area, all of which are very popular.

2) Proclaim that San Diego has amazing Mexican food-another thing I've never understood. If you really wanted to go all in on Mexican food, well the fifth largest city in Mexico is right here. In SD you pay more for less, and its never really the same.

Those are the big ones.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
Having the uncanny ability to make you think they really like you and want to be friends although there is zero interest to actually do so, while simultaneously having the uncanny inability to pick up on when people think they are an idiot and do not like them. Truly an interesting combination!

Social chameleons completely lacking in self awareness would be my description? I've met many over the years, and I can't say I've ever really gotten a good feel for any of them in terms of figuring out whether they have their sh*t together and are going to be dependable when the time comes.

Do not hold people accountable to commitments, and by the same token do not expect to be held accountable to commitments they make. For example, in my Midwestern hometown if you say "i'm going to stop by and have a drink tomorrow", then don't show up, I'd be okay to ask "where the hell were you??!!!!". Whereas here, if you say the same thing, don't show up, and I say "where the hell were you??!!!", then I'm an ******* and a bummer, etc. for being "mean" and calling you out. Not living up to your word will get you called out elsewhere, here it seems to be perfectly acceptable.

Sorry that seems negative, in a more positive sense, natives seem to truly have "no worries" and really do not want to hear anything negative at all, all positive vibes only. It seems to make them seem really happy on the surface at least?
I think this a good description of me. I am a San Diego native. I don't feel offended by this.

I try to be friendly with people I meet and put my best foot forward-what other choice is there?. I also have the inability to figure out who thinks I'm an idiot or who doesn't like me, honestly, I just don't worry about such things. I'm probably lacking in self awareness.....again, I just don't care about such things.

I'm a flake when it comes to social gatherings, sometimes I just don't make it. Sorry.

BUT, if the boat leaves at 6am, I will be there at 530am or the tee time is at noon, I'll be there at 11. There's things that are important to me and things that are not...and yes, you are a bummer when you call me out on them.

I love positive vibes and hate negative stuff. When I need to get my fill of negative stuff, I come look at this board. It is also a relief valve to blow off all the negative "vibes". Positive vibes make me feel good, maybe just on the surface though.

One last thing, I'm glad there are people out there that have been duly appointed to figure out if I have my sh*t together. How does one go about earning a certificate in something like that. Maybe a class at Mesa College.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
1) When you bring up the fact that San Diego is one of the largest cities in North America and only has one pro sports franchise and how weird that is, they will get defensive and reply, 100% of the time with "well, it's different because there is just so much to do here so pro sports are irrelevant."

This, of course, is ridiculous, as Los Angeles has exponentially more things to do than San Diego (in the same setting with MORE parks, mountains, etc), has NINE pro franchises in the metro area, all of which are very popular.
IMO, the lack of pro sports here is mostly due to the lack of large corporations here. To build and successfully run an NFL team today with a nice new stadium like the Rams, you need lots of corporate money. San Diego is a huge city of startup companies. Startup companies don't buy luxury suites and pay sponsorship money.

We have San Diego Fleet season tickets. I know the people in the ticket office quite well. They found very quickly that corporate money just ain't here.

SDCCU now sponsors the old Qualcomm stadium. SDCCU has $8B in assets. A bank like Wells Fargo has $2T in assets. Johnson & Johnson has $152B in assets. Google has $232B in assets.

Qualcomm has only $32B in assets. Jack in the Box has about $1B in assets. You can't play in today's NFL business with major corporations like that.

If we had 1/4 the corporate money of LA, the Chargers would still be here and we'd have a new NFL-quality stadium.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,850 times
Quote:
Sports-focused people with inferiority complexes might get legitimately defensive, but most people simply don't care enough to have that complex. Informing people that enjoying SD weather is a better value than an $85 seat in a hot stadium is just a reality check. Professional sports are a waste of money and, in most cases, a burden to taxpayers.

Quote:
2) Proclaim that San Diego has amazing Mexican food-another thing I've never understood. If you really wanted to go all in on Mexican food, well the fifth largest city in Mexico is right here. In SD you pay more for less, and its never really the same.
Those are the big ones.
Relative to other American cities it does, so I'm not sure what point you are making. Relative to Mexico..well of course not. But I will say that I trust food safety & sanitation in San Diego over a hodge-podge border town.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I always wondered if San Diego has its own accent. One of my Celeb crushes is Caity Lotz. She is a native San Diegan. She is an actress in the Arrowverse.

I noticed something peculiar with her oral posture. She trumpets a sometimes like she is from NY/NJ or something.

It definitely sounds different from Californians Accent on SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iIGCj_QgVg

This is the Californians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-tG6ufH90

Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
IMO, the lack of pro sports here is mostly due to the lack of large corporations here. To build and successfully run an NFL team today with a nice new stadium like the Rams, you need lots of corporate money. San Diego is a huge city of startup companies. Startup companies don't buy luxury suites and pay sponsorship money.
Don't forget the taxpayer money being used to pay for those stadiums and arenas those teams play in. SD paid the ultimate price by not funding a new Chargers stadium, so the team left. Poor St. Louis, the Rams are gone but the city is still on the hook for the stadium debt.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/t...stadiums.html/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN0VC0EP

Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:

Those are the big ones.

1. I don't give a about anything sports related in SD- I have my own teams but.... They have one major franchise because a football owner and a City had a major difference of opinion regarding who funded what and through various city administrations different ideas were floated... And I tend to think based on what has happened in other cities that the City of SD was actually more in the right on the issue.

There are other undeniable attractions (beaches/hiking/mountains/amusement parks/Zoo/Gulls hockey now) and some of the best weather in continental US to enjoy these things. And Why compare SD to just one city? Sports teams all over the country fight for ticket sales. Let me use Cleveland as an example they have a really cool Rock Hall of Fame and Pro Football Hall and lousy weather to compete with- when the Cavs were making deep playoff runs people weren't attending a first place baseball teams games in April-June.

2. Is San Diego's Mexican food influenced by Mexico? I think so. Its pretty good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego