Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM

14 posts, read 53,477 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My husband and I will be moving to N SD County in June. He'll be out in May to find us a place to live. We're looking for a 2-3 bdrm house with garage to rent. His office is in Vista (business park area) I'll be in Escondido for work. We have 2 dogs as well. Any areas recommended?? Also any areas to really stay away from??? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 PM

181 posts, read 892,151 times
well, since your husband works in vista and you will work in escondido I would def. move to vista if I were you. You can still find pretty cheap homes to rent in vista that are pretty large and have yards. Vista is just a short commute down the freeway to escondido, and it is for the most part a more desirable place to live. Vista has a pretty rural feel to it and it is really pretty. I used to live there and I really liked it. Plus you are a short drive away from the beach, and both you and your husband would have easy commutes. And with the traffic, that is always something to consider. There are a lot of diff. neighborhoods in vista so you should be able to find something that suits you I would think. OK that is my opinion.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:04 AM

14 posts, read 53,477 times
Thanks for the reply. Have you heard of and know the differences (good and/or bad) between Shadowridge, Verona Hills?, and any others? Any other housing areas you can think of? Any to stay away from?

Old 04-12-2008, 02:54 PM

181 posts, read 892,151 times
I am not too familiar with those areas. I know there are a few homes for rent around the buena creek area, sort of on the border between vista and san marcos, just a few minutes away from the college. That area would be convenient for an escondido commute, and it is really pretty. Some areas down by the railroad tracks are less desirable. But their are mostly apartments in that area. Your husband should be able to get a good idea of the area you guys would like when he visits.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:08 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,815 times
Try San Marcos. Some of the nicer communities are Discovery Hills, Santa Fe Hills, and San Eljio Hills. It's between Vista and Escondido. Vista can be nice, (Shadowridge is nice), or really sketchy ( w/gang areas) depending on where you are.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Shadowridge is nice. I'm moving back to the area and moving into the same neighborhood that I lived in a couple of years ago, after looking in Carlsbad and Oceanside. My neighborhood is technically Oceanside (Ocean Hills area), but basically in Shadowridge. Traffic can get backed up a little on some of the main roads, but they have made some improvements just in the 2 or 3 years.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Full of traffic on the 5 south on Friday and Saturday.From about 7-7 both days.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,955 times
Check out Hidden Meadows just north of Escondido. It is a very nice community just east of the 15 freeway. You can drop straight into San Marcos via Deer Springs.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 10,370 times
kmk60,
I'm not sure this will still be a timely response for you, but... I actually live not terribly far from the Verona Hills neighborhood and drive past it daily on Buena Creek Rd (which is a 2-lane windy road with zero shoulder, if you're not familiar) on my way to the Business Park area. Although I like the Buena Creek area (which, like most areas, can be sort of hit-and-miss on a street by street basis), I would not personally consider Verona Hills or anything along the "front part" of Buena Creek for the simple fact that Buena Creek is a fairly heavily traveled road during standard commute times; it can be difficult to turn onto Buena Creek from a lot of those properties closer to S. Santa Fe--especially now that the Sprinter commuter light rail is active and traffic backs up more than it used to. If you look at a map, morning traffic (into Vista) frequently backs up from S. Santa Fe to the Verona Hills entry point; sometimes it will back up to Lakeside Rd or Canyon Dr areas, as well. (Beyond that logistical tedium, Verona Hills is probably just fine.)

In addition to Shadowridge, the Twin Oaks Valley Rd area, the area behind Palomar College, or the area generally along the Palomar Airport Rd / San Marcos Blvd corridor might also be options to split your commute; it just depends on current availability and budget. Good luck - and welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego