Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:49 PM

957 posts, read 3,341,826 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody,

I'm wondering if people remember what they paid for the cost of moving when relocating to SD-a general ball park figure of course. I am trying to get a good idea of how much I will need to have set aside for my move. I hate to ask here when I could look online, but every time I try to get a quote from a moving company, they want me to fill out a form and then someone will call me. I'm hardly home during the day, so it's useless right now. It's annoying since I only want an estimation. I have a med. size 2 bedroom townhouse (1080 sq. ft) in SA, TX with an avg. amount of furniture. If anyone moved from this area and remembers what they paid, please let me know.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:01 PM

233 posts, read 883,469 times
I had a moving company come to give me an estimate for my 2 bedroom apartment. They go by weight and it woulld have cost me almost $9,000. I decided to use a POD instead (PODS - Reinventing Moving and Storage > HOME) and now it is only $4,300. Let me know if you need any additional info. when is your actual move?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Wow, move from where? I checked out the POD site but the only problem I see with that is that I live in an apt. now and there's nowhere to park a POD. Also, I really need help with loading and unloading my furniture.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 AM

27 posts, read 127,860 times
U Haul. SF to SD cost 650.00 back in Jan. Gas was 3.00 a gal. then.

Think the total for us was 1000.00 and a few 12 packs for friends who help load up the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Wow, move from where? I checked out the POD site but the only problem I see with that is that I live in an apt. now and there's nowhere to park a POD. Also, I really need help with loading and unloading my furniture.
check Craigslist or newpaper u can find people for 15-20 bucks a hour who will load / unload for you.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks so much for the advice futo. I would definitely hire someone as I have no friends in SD now. I checked the Uhaul site and got a quote for the truck and someone to load/unload in SA and SD and it was very reasonable.

Now the only problem is who would drive that thing? I can't take my little one on the truck for that long.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 107,374 times
I had someone come over for an estimate. I have a 2BR APT but I was only moving less then half the stuff we have and they wanted $2800. It seems a lot better to just get new stuff so we are selling a lot of things before we move and bring the stuff we HAVE to have.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,432,024 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice futo. I would definitely hire someone as I have no friends in SD now. I checked the Uhaul site and got a quote for the truck and someone to load/unload in SA and SD and it was very reasonable.

Now the only problem is who would drive that thing? I can't take my little one on the truck for that long.
Sure you can! I drove my babies from San Antonio to Madera, CA the first time I moved to California. I drove the U-Haul myself. Of course, with two young ones, I had to make several stops along the way. W stayed in El Paso the first night and the second night, we stayed in Needles, CA. Fortunately, they are just as adventurous as I am and enjoyed traveling.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Since we're coming from the same exact place QT, do you remember how much you paid?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,432,024 times
Quote:
Since we're coming from the same exact place QT, do you remember how much you paid?
When I moved the first time, it around 15 years ago. I wasn't using their biggest truck, but the next size down. I think my truck was around $250. Of course, that didn't include gas.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Wow have times changed. I think the quote the other day I got was around $1200, but that also included a trailer for my car and the loading and unloading of my items in SA and SD. Then of course, we all know that doesn't include gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego