Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't live in SD but I read this forum quite a bit, as my in-laws are there.

I'm in NYC and one of those '4 seasons' people, lol. I don't like the weather in SoCal actually. I don't find it varied enough. There's something so beautiful about waking up to a snow storm or driving along the parkway and seeing the yellow, red, orange trees before the leaves fall … for me, Christmas when it is warm out just seems weird to me.

Different strokes for different folks, though
Absolutely! Or as my father would say "That's why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors.....".

I'm with you on the warm at Xmas weirdness. Since moving to California we've spent about two-thirds of our Xmas holidays skiing or back east in the cold weather. The ones we spent in SoCal just don't seem right, I don't care how nicely the palm trees look decorated with red and green lights.

But for most of the year, I prefer the SoCal climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:

I'm in NYC and one of those '4 seasons' people, lol. I don't like the weather in SoCal actually. I don't find it varied enough. There's something so beautiful about waking up to a snow storm or driving along the parkway and seeing the yellow, red, orange trees before the leaves fall … for me, Christmas when it is warm out just seems weird to me.

You do you

Old 05-13-2019, 01:38 PM

38 posts, read 33,410 times
i have lived in six states, including CA (both LA and SD), the midwest, the southeast, and the mid-atlantic. i have also visited many more. in my experience, the most "fake" people in the US - hands down - live in georgia (atlanta in particular). "southern hospitality" is such a thin facade that comes off as fast as a hat in a hurricane.

as best i can tell, LA/SF/SD get branded as "fake" for two reasons. one, by all of the white transplants from other parts of the country, who are disoriented that whites in california don't share their local customs, accents, and mannerisms (especially racism). two, there is a common impulse to deny their attempt to be part of some "scene" - particularly within the entertainment industry.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 AM

298 posts, read 303,463 times
Theres lots of homeless people, traffic and crime, unfortunately that's not fake.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,244 times
Calling someone "fake" is often a defense mechanism for someone feeling physically inferior to someone else. There are a lot of good looking people in California, so people are just haters. It's the same thing when I hear women say that "the gym is such a meat market". The fact is, they're just jealous that so many hot girls are there and they feel insecure.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
I wanted to move to San Diego so bad and saved and moved here in 2013. I’m from Michigan and have lived in NYC and Maryland. People are fake yes, but worse yet is they are very shallow and the conversation never gets deep, they are flaky as well and always want someone from you and brag about things that aren’t true. It’s like living in a lonely sunshine ball. I gave it the old college try but after 6 years of hiding my true personality because people here are also to sensitive and can’t take a joke, I am saving to move back to NYC! There is diversity here but everyone is watered down. I hate to be negative but between the lack of friends and ****ty job market no amount of sunshine, cute houses and succulents can make the vibe right. I strongly suggest you think of other cities. And lastly when I came here I had over 20k and after 8 months it was gone and I hardly could pay rent !!

Old 08-08-2019, 11:36 PM

170 posts, read 188,739 times
@Cari226 yes you hit the nail on the head. On one of the few meetups I went to I once had a conversation with a Girl from NY, I was flabbergasted seen the great difference between NY Women and SD Janes . I am at point right now that could sacrifice my well paid Job for the opportunity to live and experience other kind of People, may the NY Jungle or any other State .

Old 08-08-2019, 11:45 PM

170 posts, read 188,739 times
Good looking maybe in LA (Westhollywood,LosFelix,etc) yes, but in SD is not the norm per my experience. I go to the gym in Garnet, women there really have no substance.

But I might wrong , if so please do let me know where those "hot girls" hang around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Calling someone "fake" is often a defense mechanism for someone feeling physically inferior to someone else. There are a lot of good looking people in California, so people are just haters. It's the same thing when I hear women say that "the gym is such a meat market". The fact is, they're just jealous that so many hot girls are there and they feel insecure.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:36 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari226 View Post
I wanted to move to San Diego so bad and saved and moved here in 2013. I’m from Michigan and have lived in NYC and Maryland. People are fake yes, but worse yet is they are very shallow and the conversation never gets deep, they are flaky as well and always want someone from you and brag about things that aren’t true. It’s like living in a lonely sunshine ball. I gave it the old college try but after 6 years of hiding my true personality because people here are also to sensitive and can’t take a joke, I am saving to move back to NYC! There is diversity here but everyone is watered down. I hate to be negative but between the lack of friends and ****ty job market no amount of sunshine, cute houses and succulents can make the vibe right. I strongly suggest you think of other cities. And lastly when I came here I had over 20k and after 8 months it was gone and I hardly could pay rent !!
NY'er born and raised in Manhattan.

I was dying to get out of NYC for over a decade. FAKE PEOPLE ? NYC is loaded to the gills with them. True someone on the sidewalk will tell you to " F Off " or other REALNESS that you won't get in SD but FAKE is the name of the game in NYC networking circles. EVERYONE is trying to be somebody or pretending they are somebody. They all seem to congregate in the gym

There are very few TRUE NY'er left in NYC anymore. Good Riddance with a price tag to match .

What do I think of SD and the people after 4 years ?

Small town okie dokie vibe. I live in NC so that is a pretty reasonable explanation. I like it. It's a nice place to live. Although I really thought I would make more friends than I "haven't " Like true american fashion nobody wants to know other people. I am also 50 and single so I have little to offer moms and dad types but even the singles are much younger or far more conservative. So yeah making friends in SD....not easy ....but then again in America it never is.

SD City has all the ills of an urban environment . Just take a trolley ride for some REALNESS. You will get it all for $2.50.

I came out here for the weed, mexico,weather, and laid back vibe. I get to travel often enough and I stay fit here due to much outdoor time. I remember trying to bicycle ride in Central Park....couldn't with mobs of tourists crossing my path every second.

Nothing is great in America anymore. I chose SD as a safe quiet landing pad and base in America while still having the freedom to escape.

If I need to be in America SD is a good fit. I haven't been to LA since 1991 but I won't lie it does interest me to re visit if I get bored here eventually.

The border issues and parking down south are my biggest complaints.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
NYC Transplant here.

I find people in SD to be more polite and down to earth than NYC. As of 2015 in NYC when I left the people were the #1 issue I had with NYC. Gone were the interesting people who made a day on the streets an interesting experience . The city was filled with middle america transplants longing for a Sex and the City re run to be centered around them.....RANT ENDS.

With that said I don't find anyone in SD that makes a tremendous effort to make friends. People seem to go about their lives without really concerning themselves about others. I find it very hard to meet people ANYWHERE in America. Americans in general aren't a friendly heart warming crowd.

Is California any different ? Not really but having nice weather and being outdoors a lot puts people in a better mood. I think this helps with attitudes in general.

People are just being people
"Americans in general aren't a friendly heart warming crowd." I agree. They certainly aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego