Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Are there any tenants left in Horton Plaza? I just saw some pictures a friend took and it looks like the entire mall is a ghost town?
Yes, there are still tenants left in Horton Plaza, but I don't know who's left. Why don't you take a trip there and take a look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9p1 View Post
Great news for San Diego! I’m very happy to hear that Horton Plaza was approved for a remodel as it's become more of a stomping ground for the homeless then what it was originally intended for, an upscale shopping experience. Horton Plaza is nostalgic to me because I remember back in it’s heyday when it was such a happening mall. It was packed to the brim with people and there wasn't a vacant store in the entire mall. I even remember dining at an amazing Brazilian restaurant (forget the name) on the top floor. Hell, I even bought my very first cell phone from a sprint kiosk back in January 2000. One of the few bright spots at the end of the century in downtown at the time and it was by far my favorite mall in all of San Diego. So sad to watch its despair over the past few decades, so I’m pretty ecstatic that they’re reviving it.

https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/05/20/...laza-makeover/
I remember the heyday of the 90s, especially at the holidays--loved it at Christmas -- Potted poinsettias covering he floors, the hustle and bustle of shoppers, and ice skating across the street at the Lyceum, and nary a parking space to be found on weekends. I would make it a point to go there a couple of times between Thanksgiving and Christmas just to take it all in. Went there a couple of months ago --wow, sad what has happened in a mere 20 years.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Comma AI from the Bay Area is currently relocating to that area as well. I think we'll see some tech companies wanting to locate downtown for the vibrant culture surrounding it, as well as the phenomenal airport access.

But don't forget, the employees from those companies are going to move down here in droves as well and take those jobs in the form of a "transfer", which means more strain on the housing market, more inflated prices. Yippee--more people! LOL! At the end of the day, how many of those jobs will current San Diegans get?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
While I'm all in for changing the primary use of Horton Plaza from retail to office, Curbed has a good article about the center's unique architecture.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/6/5/1865...stmodern-jerde
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego