Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 11,440 times

Advertisements

Not sure why the mountain lion was killed since the incident happened in the canyon preserve. I can understand if the ML was wandering in the streets and nearby homes but it didn't sound like it. If you go out in their territory, you should know the risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 05:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
There are a lot of sharks at La Jolla right now. They are feeding on the large mackerel that are in the area. Watched my buddy hook into one and know of several others. Mostly Thresher sharks.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdlr View Post
Not sure why the mountain lion was killed since the incident happened in the canyon preserve. I can understand if the ML was wandering in the streets and nearby homes but it didn't sound like it. If you go out in their territory, you should know the risks.
The preserve is a joint city/county managed open space preserve. It is heavily used by people.

The mtn lion was euthanized because it exhibited uncharacteristic behavior: it was not shy of humans, and it attacked a child in the middle of a group of 10 people - highly aberrant for a mountain lion.

And, since it did attack a human, according to wildlife officials and other experts, it would be prone now to try again.

Officials followed safety policy by euthanizing it; unfortunate. Re-location was not possible because it would have meant simply relocating the risk to another area (not fair, not safe, not smart).

Old 05-30-2019, 09:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Well, how much of the entire USA was the habitat of wild things before humans got here? I have an ongoing debate with DH about the Children's Pool in La Jolla. I figure that it was humans who built the wall that makes the seals feel protected. So the humans 'own' that beach. But, he replied, how much of other seal habitat have the humans taken from the seals to drive them to claim this bit of now protected beach?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:05 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Exactly, that's why they shot and killed it. Its jaws were locked on someone's face.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:01 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Well, how much of the entire USA was the habitat of wild things before humans got here? I have an ongoing debate with DH about the Children's Pool in La Jolla. I figure that it was humans who built the wall that makes the seals feel protected. So the humans 'own' that beach. But, he replied, how much of other seal habitat have the humans taken from the seals to drive them to claim this bit of now protected beach?
I keep reading this type of response and don't get it.

Is that some sort of insinuation that the attack was deserved like an offering of atonement to 'nature'; "well, too bad about the boy, but it is proper retribution on man"?

That line of thought is kinda disturbing and disgusting.

Yes - 'man' has developed land for housing. San Diego has actually done a well regarded plan of keeping wildlife spaces and corridors between spaces open. Not perfect but better than most other cities in the US.

People wail and whine about wild things being here first - get over it. The fight is about keeping what open space is left. So instead of complaining behind a keyboard - go do something about it.

But, ultimately it will still come back to public safety. If the land is multipurpose use and an apex predator is acting dangerously, not normal, aberrant - it'll be taken out.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
There are a lot of sharks at La Jolla right now. They are feeding on the large mackerel that are in the area. Watched my buddy hook into one and know of several others. Mostly Thresher sharks.
I've seen some local footage of about a six to eighter footer. Nice lil white shark. Probably the one everyone was calling in N of the pier.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
A lot of guys are catching threshers at La Jolla right now.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
This year they are catching bigg'un crappie at Lake Shasta.....

https://www.google.com/search?source...67.QwMSj83AjVY

Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
A lot of guys are catching threshers at La Jolla right now.
That's good to know. I haven't been out since it was raining. I'll fill a freezer with a nice long tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego