Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,132,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrie View Post
I deal with traffic that is the same if not worse in Massachusetts. That isn’t even driving into or out of Boston which is even worse, so when I move the commute won’t bother me. At this point most major cities on the coasts have terrible traffic in rush hours.
This is just so common among new transplants and why San Diego keeps growing. You are exactly right, the traffic will not bother you compared to Boston, even the housing costs and taxes will not bother you compared to Boston.

What will bother you is the salaries offered and the actual amount of opportunity.

I just interviewed someone who would not move to San Diego. The position I was recruiting for actually offered a Bay Area salary here but the person would not take it because they didn't want to be stuck here in case the position didn't work out and they had to find something else. They actually wanted to work remotely from the Bay Area which we couldn't offer in this case. San Diego, much like Florida, has a reputation for a crappy job market.

All that said, I'm bullish on the long term prospects of SD and the job market is nothing like Florida. A lot of companies are setting up shop and I think the job market will be much better in ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,789,683 times
Best to find a place in either Mt Carmel or Scripps high school district. You'd be closer to the "action" and still close enough to Poway. Its not like texas where its easier to move around schools.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Best to find a place in either Mt Carmel or Scripps high school district. You'd be closer to the "action" and still close enough to Poway. Its not like texas where its easier to move around schools.

Just to clarify, so as not to confuse the poster:

"Scripps High School District" doesn't exist in San Diego County. There is a Scripps Ranch High School, but that is in the San Diego Unified School District.

There is also no "Mt. Carmel High School District" or "Mt Carmel" here. There is a Mt. Carmel High School, which is one of the high schools in the Poway Unified School District, which I suggested earlier in this thread.

I know that you probably meant these two high schools, DKM, but since you said "a place in Mt. Carmel" and "Scripps High School District" I just wanted to clarify this for the poster so they won't be searching for towns or school districts in San Diego County with those names.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Poway to Temecula ----------------------> 42 miles

Poway to Rancho Penasquitos ----------> 7 miles

Do you really move all the way to San Diego to spend 2 hours of every work day in your car?

Rosie: 46 Cruitr: 1

Agree with you, of course, Cruitr, but since the poster said that telecommuting was a possibility for them, the suggestion someone else gave of Temecula/Murietta could work for the family, assuming that the spouse was able to find a job up in that area and not have to commute to San Diego either.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:55 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,789,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just to clarify, so as not to confuse the poster:

"Scripps High School District" doesn't exist in San Diego County. There is a Scripps Ranch High School, but that is in the San Diego Unified School District.

There is also no "Mt. Carmel High School District" or "Mt Carmel" here. There is a Mt. Carmel High School, which is one of the high schools in the Poway Unified School District, which I suggested earlier in this thread.

I know that you probably meant these two high schools, DKM, but since you said "a place in Mt. Carmel" and "Scripps High School District" I just wanted to clarify this for the poster so they won't be searching for towns or school districts in San Diego County with those names.
Yes I meant the zoning district of those high schools, not the official state named District they are located in.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,811,495 times
You mentioned wanting to live in diverse area. SD is minority majority Hispanic and pretty well integrated as far as the Hispanic population. However the AA population here is quite low, particularly in North County areas...not sure if that would bother you or not. There are people from all countries, ethnic and religious backgrounds here but not in huge numbers. Spanish is widely spoken here.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You mentioned wanting to live in diverse area. SD is minority majority Hispanic and pretty well integrated as far as the Hispanic population. However the AA population here is quite low, particularly in North County areas...not sure if that would bother you or not. There are people from all countries, ethnic and religious backgrounds here but not in huge numbers. Spanish is widely spoken here.
In case it might be helpful, here are the city-wide demographics of the city of San Diego (data is from the US Census Bureau):

White, non-hispanic 45%
Hispanic, 33%
Asian, 12.5%
African American, 5.5%
Mixed race, 4.4%

For comparison, here are the demographics of Dallas, TX where it sounds like the original poster currently lives:

Hispanic, 41.7%
White, non-Hispanic 29%
African american 24%
Asian, 3.9%
Mixed race 2.6%

And, here are the demographics of the City of Poway, which has been mentioned as a possible idea for relocation:

White, non-hispanic 63.7%
Hispanic, 18%
Asian, 13%
African American, 1.2%
Mixed race 5%

Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 PM

13 posts, read 15,525 times
Thanks for this. It’s a bit skewed for me. Dallas is at least. It said almost 25% AA. The vast majority are located in the southern part of Dallas. Boston has the same percentage but also lumped into a certain section of the city. I’m wondering if this is the same in San Diego or LA. I also wonder about Orange County too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In case it might be helpful, here are the city-wide demographics of the city of San Diego (data is from the US Census Bureau):

White, non-hispanic 45%
Hispanic, 33%
Asian, 12.5%
African American, 5.5%
Mixed race, 4.4%

For comparison, here are the demographics of Dallas, TX where it sounds like the original poster currently lives:

Hispanic, 41.7%
White, non-Hispanic 29%
African american 24%
Asian, 3.9%
Mixed race 2.6%

And, here are the demographics of the City of Poway, which has been mentioned as a possible idea for relocation:

White, non-hispanic 63.7%
Hispanic, 18%
Asian, 13%
African American, 1.2%
Mixed race 5%

Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

298 posts, read 300,547 times
I visited Oceanside once and its a really pretty area. They also have a metrolink there and I looked to see if the metrolink goes to Poway and back and it does. I don't know if this is helpful to you but I forgot if you had children but some of the schools in Oceanside get good ratings. When I was there they had nice shopping areas and nice beach. It seems like a really nice community and one of our friends is retiring there. Just a thought if it helps

Old 06-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2bos2tx2ca View Post
Thanks for this. It’s a bit skewed for me. Dallas is at least. It said almost 25% AA. The vast majority are located in the southern part of Dallas. Boston has the same percentage but also lumped into a certain section of the city. I’m wondering if this is the same in San Diego or LA. I also wonder about Orange County too.

Since it sounds like diversity is an important consideration for you, here's an interesting site that may be helpful to you as you consider where to relocate. It has maps relating to demographics for the entire country.

If you zoom in (click on the plus) quite a bit, you can actually get down to the census tract data for individual neighborhoods to see how diverse they are. Start by zooming in on Dallas to see how diversity is spread out. Then, go over to San Diego and zoom in to the census tract level. You can do the same for LA and Orange county.

Red dots = white non hispanic is largest demographic group

Blue dots =hispanic is largest demographic group.

Green dots = African American is largest demographic group

Purple dots = Asian is largest demographic group

You'll probably immediately notice, as I did, that I had to zoom in a lot farther in San Diego to find green dots than I did in Dallas. That make sense because, even though Dallas and San Diego are close in population size, the number of African Americans here is much lower than it is in Dallas.

Then, go to Orange County and Los Angeles, or any place that interests you.

Click on the dot to get the actual breakdown of numbers by race for that census tract/neighborhood.

https://blackvoicenews.com/project/p...en-population/

The site has many other useful maps and information about diversity in California as well (I just picked the adult population one as it seemed the easiest to navigate). Hope it is helpful!

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-10-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego