Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM

116 posts, read 124,556 times

Advertisements

I'll be heading out to SD in August to do some scouting of the area. Some of our requirements:

• I work from home most of the time so commuting isn't an issue. However, broadband is a must.
  • Looking to buy a house - 3/2 with a large garage (3 car preferred). $650k-$850k is the target budget. I know this rules out the beach front communities and we're ok with that.
  • No more than an hour drive to the airport (1.5 hours absolute max)
  • Decent High School as I still have 1 kid at home who will be a Junior/Senior (depending on if/when we pull the trigger).
  • Nice to have's - views of hills, breweries/restaurants/wineries that are ~15-20 mins away would be awesome

What areas I should research/look at while I'm in town?

Anything I didn't put in my list that maybe I should consider?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
I can address the broadband issue, although it seems to vary by neighborhood with some companies. I also work at home sometimes. I have Spectrum and they have been very good. In the last few years the internet has gone out a few times and it’s usually in the middle of the night and just for a couple of hours at most.

AT&T on the other hand, sucks and is worthless in my opinion. My friend has them and they’re constantly going out.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Don't worry too much about schools. Look into the choice program. It sounds like Clairemont, Serra Mesa, Tierra Santa would all work for you. Look into COX business for a possible fiber connection. It will be more expensive but I believe they offer it city wide now.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
I would check out Jamul. Its rural living close in to the city. Lots of hills and mountain views, even a few with peeks of the ocean. Close to wineries. Has a relatively new high school with a good reputation. Less than hour to the airport. I'm not sure about broadband though.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
If you want a newer master-planned community or a more suburban area with good schools, I'd do a drive through of the following areas while you are in the area. I've grouped them together by their proximity to each other. If you wanted to, you could drive through each group in an afternoon.

Inland Northeast:

Poway
Rancho Penasquitos
Rancho Bernardo
Scripps Ranch
Tierrasanta
San Marcos

Inland Central:

San Carlos
La Mesa
Rancho San Diego
Granite Hills
Santee
Tierrasanta

Inland Southeast:

East Chula Vista (this area is east of the 805 along Telegraph Canyon Road --- look for Otay Ranch, Rolling Hills, Rancho Del Rey).**

Bonita

**Eastern Chula Vista consists of newer, master planned communities with all of the amenities. It may be possible to buy a brand new home there in your price range. It's a really nice area and often overlooked!

I also wouldn't immediately rule out the possibility of something closer to the coast. These areas would be worth a look if you want to be near the coast and should have some options in your price range:

Coastal Communities:

Carlsbad
Oceanside (be careful here as there are some areas that are not the best -- Ivy Ranch is a nice family area)
University City
Clairemont Mesa

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-29-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I would check out Jamul. Its rural living close in to the city. Lots of hills and mountain views, even a few with peeks of the ocean. Close to wineries. Has a relatively new high school with a good reputation. Less than hour to the airport. I'm not sure about broadband though.
I live in Jamul and like it a lot. It may not be for everyone because it is a little rural in certain areas and very spread out. Some parts of Jamul are a long way to shopping, entertainment, schools, etc.

But overall, if you want elbow room Jamul can be a nice place to live, and I can get to the airport in 30 minutes if there's no traffic.

There are definitely homes available here in your price range. Here are a few examples -- these are all in North Jamul, which would be the area of Jamul closest to shopping, schools, entertainment and downtown/airport.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...376,-116.88403

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/14_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...pid/?mmlb=g,23

Areas that would be similar to Jamul, but which are a little farther out include: Alpine, Ramona, Valley Center, Blossom Valley.

However, that said, Jamul is probably not right for everyone. If you're looking for a master planned community or a more suburban area, I'd start with the others I listed above first before looking at these areas.

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-29-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Also, here are a few resources about living in the San Diego area that you might find helpful:

From the archives: People who live in different parts of the county described what they like, and don't like about the areas where they live. This is a good introduction to a lot of places! //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

Newcomers Guide to Moving to San Diego: https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/Newcomers-Guide/

Lots of good information here, including an overview of 17 San Diego neighborhoods:

https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/New...Neighborhoods/

For schools:

Parents Guide to San Diego Public Schools: Loading the map...

Private Schools Guide: https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San...ol-Guide-2018/

And, tip: If there's a chance your child might want to attend college in the University of California or California State University systems, I'd suggest reading up on the UC A-G requirements (courses that kids have to complete to be eligible for admission to both UC and Cal States) and, if you won't be moving to senior year, make sure that your child will be on track to complete them.

You can find that information here: A-G courses | UC Admissions

Also, to be eligible for instate tuition in the UC, CSU, and California Community Colleges, you'll need to make sure your family moves here no later than 366 days before the first day of the semester where your child would start classes. (Full residency requirements here: https://www.ucop.edu/residency/resid...uirements.html)

Both of these things can sometimes blindside parents and students moving to California from out of state so they're worth checking out, if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego