U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:09 AM

26 posts, read 10,179 times

Advertisements

Flights from LAX to anyplace Europe or Asia are 1/2 to 2/3 the price of flying from San Diego. Many are non stop flights without the extra 2 or 3 hour layover. Problem is that driving the 2.5 to 3 hours home after a 10 to 14 hour flight - 36 hour day, is no fun.

I am not about to take a bus to Union Station and then a 3 hour train ride, followed by a taxi or Uber to get home at the end of a long trip

I've driven and parked at LAX. I've rented cars one way (cheaper than parking for 2 weeks), and Ive flown LAX to SAN (waiting more than 3 hours in the commuter terminal for my flight). The last leg home is always a real PITA.

I had a colleague a couple of years ago that knew a personal driver that would take him back and forth for about $60.00 each way. Door to door. I can't seem to find him nowadays. Uber or Lyft ($175.00+/- each way) or the blue shuttle ($300.00 +/-x2) will be a lot more.

Any tips from season travelers, other than spending the night near LAX in yet another hotel, and driving home the next morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM

4,815 posts, read 7,494,940 times
It might work to fly to SF and then take international flight. I think SF has a lot of them.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:20 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,677,907 times
No way around it. If you are from SD and want to fly out of LAX you either:

1. Pay extra for the shuttle flight to LAX
2. Take the train
3. Have a GOOD FRIEND drive you.

4. Perhaps fly out of TIJ if they reach your destination.

If you come across another way please let us know.

I had the bright idea of spending the day in Venice Beach before traveling....until I searched for room prices in the LAX area

Old 06-28-2019, 04:34 PM

26 posts, read 10,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
It might work to fly to SF and then take international flight. I think SF has a lot of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Loveautumn. I just priced a couple of future trips from SFO and they are almost the same as from LAX. Some half the cost as to and from San Diego. I know it adds more miles + time to the trip, but with Southwest offering such ridiculous low fares ($69.00) for non-stops from SAN to SFO, I rather spend the extra 2 or 3 hours doing that than get stuck in an LA freeway at rush hour traffic (my last trip 3 weeks ago) after a 12 hour flight from Scotland.

I found a list of the US airports with the best international deals and the top 4 are:

1. New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
2. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
3. Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
4. San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/these-...-flight-deals/

I will definitely look at SFO on my next trip abroad.

Last edited by Tdecel; 06-28-2019 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 08:28 PM

6,214 posts, read 10,047,746 times
Consider the possibility of shuttle vans from SAN to LAX. A three-hour drive, but it might save you some dollars and annoyance.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:45 PM

5,031 posts, read 2,467,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
We fly to Asia now and then and used to do this. We flew to SF and then on to Asia. Then one year a flight was delayed from SF to San Diego because of fog. That was the flight we were to take back up to SF.

We got to SF late and had to run from one side of the airport to another. I had to grab my six year old daughter, throw her under my arm and RUN. We got to the plane just as they were about to close the door and boarded in a sweaty mess.

From that point on we rented a car one way, left early and drove casually to LAX and flew from there. That’s the best option in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 2,043 times
Unfortunately I don't any advice another than to say that it is something I also have observed - I travel to the UK once a year or two and bite the bullet and pay the extra cost to do SAN-LHR non-stop.

This price increase appears to have happened in the last 10 - 12 years or so - I have flown to asia and the UK from SAN for about the same as what you would pay out of LAX many years ago. Now the price is high even for a non-direct flight. I did try to price out the flights separately - for example SAN-LAX and LAX-LHR and I think the SAN-LAX flight was expensive.

I have friends from India who fly out of LAX due to the cost saving especially for a family. I believe they go up using a rental which they drop off at LAX. Not sure about the return. Not easy to drive in traffic if you have been on a long flight back.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,677,907 times
Does anybody use Las Vegas as a hub to fly from SD internationally ? I was surprised to see only 4 airlines use the airport as a hub...Southwest,Frontier, Spirit and one other uninspiring airline.

I thought maybe Las Vegas was a good idea and easier to get to than LAX.

Anyone have anything to add ?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
980 posts, read 974,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
No way around it. If you are from SD and want to fly out of LAX you either:

1. Pay extra for the shuttle flight to LAX
2. Take the train
3. Have a GOOD FRIEND drive you.
Unfortunately, OP, CNYC is right in my opinion. I've traveled quite extensively around the world, and even used alternative gateway airports because it was such a considerable savings in the airfare. Waiting around isn't much fun, but I always just sucked it up when I did it, and if possible I'd make the most out of my longer layovers. Honestly though, I'd just view part of getting to the airport as part of the trip itself, and you have to adjust your perspective a bit. I once bought separate tickets (round-trip domestic, round-trip international) using New York as my "origin" for the trip (though in reality it was a stopover). I made that a nice little side trip while I waited for my flight. I also saved $800 flying from DFW instead of OKC once, and took a train to Fort Worth. It was a 30-minute drive to the local airport, or a 3-hour train to the Dallas area, plus connections. The latter may seem like a major inconvenience, but you have to ask: what else was I going to do that day? It's not like I made any other plans. The train schedule lined up well with my flight and I considered it part of the trip. If you ever go to more offbeat destinations though, you'll find schedules are more limited and waiting around for a flight is something you'll just have to do (my personal record is a 14-hour layover connecting at Seoul-Incheon).

In sum: if you can save a lot flying out of LAX, I'd book that ticket and plan my schedule around that. You can consider the time it takes getting to LAX to be killing time until your flight anyway.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:47 AM

3,005 posts, read 1,586,617 times
The more stops and details you add, the greater the chances of a monkey wrench being thrown into the works. It isn't worth it to try to save a few bucks. Fly direct, maybe pay a little more, but get there without some random event completely breaking your plans. And who on Earth wants to sit in traffic for three hours to then face the insanity that is LAX??? It's bad enough to do layovers there, I cannot imagine willingly using that nightmare as my point of departure unless I absolutely have to.

When I lived in San Diego, I'd sometimes wind up with a two-legger going back through LAX. Usually, I'd abandon my last leg and take an Uber rather than fight LAX, board another plane, wait, fly to San Diego, and then still have to drive back north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or