Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM

144 posts, read 128,397 times

Advertisements

We just toured another area of La Mesa and El Cajon that we hadn't visited yet and Fletcher Hills for the first time.

Fletcher Hills is a winner. We really loved this area. Houses are unique, quiet area...well kept. Some didn't have neighbors in the back which was nice. We'll definitely be looking for anything "affordable" that pops up here.

There was also a pocket of La Mesa that was really nice. It reminded us of Alameda. Well kept homes, quiet area, mostly unique. It was on/near Monona Drive. We liked that area too.

Other areas we looked at in El Cajon/La Mesa area were...not optimal. Homes were in several states of disarray. No red flags other than that but no...not for us.

Headed back north to check out Rancho Penasquitos. Tomorrow we're going to check out Clairemont East and see if it's any different than the rest of Clairemont we saw back in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 04:30 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
We just toured another area of La Mesa and El Cajon that we hadn't visited yet and Fletcher Hills for the first time.

Fletcher Hills is a winner. We really loved this area. Houses are unique, quiet area...well kept. Some didn't have neighbors in the back which was nice. We'll definitely be looking for anything "affordable" that pops up here.

There was also a pocket of La Mesa that was really nice. It reminded us of Alameda. Well kept homes, quiet area, mostly unique. It was on/near Monona Drive. We liked that area too.

Other areas we looked at in El Cajon/La Mesa area were...not optimal. Homes were in several states of disarray. No red flags other than that but no...not for us.

Headed back north to check out Rancho Penasquitos. Tomorrow we're going to check out Clairemont East and see if it's any different than the rest of Clairemont we saw back in March.
Check out the area S of Balboa and W of Gennessee. You may be surprised. Also an area down Ulrich in Linda Vista to the East towards Mission Valley. Some hidden gems in there too.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:47 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
BB~ You might do just as well (if not better) by employing a real estate agent. Since properties are scattered, and you're looking in general areas, they'd be your best resource to get a place.

Prices in my neck of the woods are $825 per sqft, currently....

Old 06-17-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
BB~ You might do just as well (if not better) by employing a real estate agent. Since properties are scattered, and you're looking in general areas, they'd be your best resource to get a place.

Prices in my neck of the woods are $825 per sqft, currently....
I'm already working with one I trust. They are giving me areas to check out based on feedback I've given them. This process is me driving around and telling them what we like and don't like will give them the tools to make good decisions on our part. A real estate agent would have a hard time presenting their clients with properties that they would like...if they don't know what they want/like Once we narrow down the "yes, show us these areas... But don't show us these areas" we will turn it over to our agent and trust their judgement.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 PM

Random stuff:

Why are there so many dentists here? I mean, I know WHY..but still. Wow...like 3 or 4 every block around here. No joke.

And, I'm legit laughing at the "Heat advisory" I'm seeing....I'm walking around like...y'all worried about this sun? **** feels good to me! No humidty and a breeze? Sign me up! I imagine further east in the desert areas might be different...but still. If this is "heat advisory" worthy, sign me up.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Random stuff:

Why are there so many dentists here? I mean, I know WHY..but still. Wow...like 3 or 4 every block around here. No joke.

And, I'm legit laughing at the "Heat advisory" I'm seeing....I'm walking around like...y'all worried about this sun? **** feels good to me! No humidty and a breeze? Sign me up! I imagine further east in the desert areas might be different...but still. If this is "heat advisory" worthy, sign me up.
Ya, it's a hoot. It hits 80 at the beach and they are freaking out. 105 in Campo? Ya.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:

Yes it is. To this day my favorite house we looked at was in Fletcher Hills. Dollar for dollar the area is a “bargain”.

I don’t live too far from there now, and it’s home to my favorite sushi place. My wife and I love sushi, and we’ve been to most, and Narumi is at the top of the list. It’s not Sushi Ota, but like Fletcher Hills, dollar for dollar it’s a bargain. Seriously though, check out Narumi reviews, prices, and obviously food. If you’re not impressed by them I’d be shocked?

Old 06-18-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yes it is. To this day my favorite house we looked at was in Fletcher Hills. Dollar for dollar the area is a “bargain”.

I don’t live too far from there now, and it’s home to my favorite sushi place. My wife and I love sushi, and we’ve been to most, and Narumi is at the top of the list. It’s not Sushi Ota, but like Fletcher Hills, dollar for dollar it’s a bargain. Seriously though, check out Narumi reviews, prices, and obviously food. If you’re not impressed by them I’d be shocked?
We dabble in sushi as well. I'll put Narumi in my "must go" notes.

Pound for pound (or square foot by square foot), Fletcher Hills has the most value of any place we've looked at since 2019. Even my wife who was "Team Mt. Helix" loved the area.

It looks like FH is in La Mesa AND El Cajon? Is that correct? Is there a difference?

I think we'll be making one more trip here before the end of the year, and then hopefully looking to start putting offers in around December. If we can't find anything within a month or two (considering how competitive the market is), we'll find a short term rental and put our stuff in storage until we find something.

Next time (later this year), we'll get an AirBNB in the areas we're focusing on (right now, that's Mt. Helix/Fletcher Hills (La Mesa/El Cajon/Lake Murray) and stay for a few days in each location.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
We dabble in sushi as well. I'll put Narumi in my "must go" notes.

Pound for pound (or square foot by square foot), Fletcher Hills has the most value of any place we've looked at since 2019. Even my wife who was "Team Mt. Helix" loved the area.

It looks like FH is in La Mesa AND El Cajon? Is that correct? Is there a difference?

I think we'll be making one more trip here before the end of the year, and then hopefully looking to start putting offers in around December. If we can't find anything within a month or two (considering how competitive the market is), we'll find a short term rental and put our stuff in storage until we find something.

Next time (later this year), we'll get an AirBNB in the areas we're focusing on (right now, that's Mt. Helix/Fletcher Hills (La Mesa/El Cajon/Lake Murray) and stay for a few days in each location.
Did ya get to hit all of Clairemont? Go ahead and say it, I can take it

Old 06-18-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Check out the area S of Balboa and W of Gennessee. You may be surprised. Also an area down Ulrich in Linda Vista to the East towards Mission Valley. Some hidden gems in there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did ya get to hit all of Clairemont? Go ahead and say it, I can take it
Yes...

We ended up just north of there, west of Gennessee and North of Balboa. Are you talking about the "Mount streets" area? If so, we really liked that area. It's the first area that we've looked at in that part of town (that we can afford...hopefully...I haven't looked at prices yet since we just got to our new hotel a few minutes ago) that we liked. It reminded us of Alameda. Homes were well kepy, unique...cute even.

So yeah, you were spot on. Thank you!! I'm glad we saw it before we leave tomorrow. I'll add it to the search.

So far it's:
  • That area of Clairemont above
  • Fletcher Hills
  • Mt. Helix
  • Parts of La Mesa/West El Cajon
  • Lake Murray
  • Windsor Hills (I just stumbled onto that this morning at 3am)
  • Tiny area of North Racho Penasquitos that isn't all cookie cutter master planned (no offense to those that live somewhere like that)

Again...SOOO many dentists!! And wow, it's been a long time since I've been in this part of downtown. Decades even. Things have definitely changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego