Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 PM

144 posts, read 128,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The closest is gonna be Imperial Beach. The pros are it isn’t crowded, parking is easy to find, hardly any homeless, and there’s great surf. The cons are there’ll be days (mostly in the winter) the water is too polluted to go in because of runoff from the Tijuana river. There’s also not nearly the same number of dining and entertainment options as most other beaches, but there’s still enough to choose from. Traffic is never really an issue coming or going compared to most other beaches. IB is an underrated and misunderstood beach town.

Coronado is the next closest, and it speaks for itself. It’s alwsys on the different “nicest beaches in the country lists”. Gentle waves (except on south swells), wide sandy beaches, great dinning, one the nicest public golf courses, and the Del make it one of the most popular beaches in the county. That leads to its biggest con, the parking. It can be tough, and often you’re forced to use metered parking (it’s cheap, but a hassle). It also will have the same problems as IB does with runoff from the TJ river, just not as many days. Traffic is brutal leaving the island in the afternoon M-F over the bridge, I can’t speak for taking the Silver Strand.

In between the two is the Silver Strand State Beach. Nice beach with zero crowds and probably the calmest waves in the county, but it’s expensive to park there. I haven’t for many years so I can’t tell you what it is these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
TacoSoup is spot on about IB.

Since you have dogs, you might also be interested to know that both Imperial Beach and Coronado have great dog beaches. In IB, you can walk for over a mile with your dogs at the southern end of Seacoast Drive; it abuts a national wildlife sanctuary so dogs have to be on leash, but it is a great place for a long walk with your dogs. Coronado has an off leash dog beach that's also great.

When we lived near Eastlake, we also went to Pacific Beach a lot; on weekends and mid-day, it really isn't all that much farther than IB or Coronado with the 125 to 8 connection. Ocean Beach and Fiesta Island are easy to get to that way as well, and both also have fantastic beach areas for dogs (my dogs particularly love Fiesta Island).

This is all good stuff. Thanks Rosie and TacoSoup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I think OP may be confusing Allied Gardens and Del Cerro. Del Cerro is still really nice for the most part, and I can't think of any part of Del Cerro that has homes under 800k.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I think OP may be confusing Allied Gardens and Del Cerro. Del Cerro is still really nice for the most part, and I can't think of any part of Del Cerro that has homes under 800k.
The houses I looked up on Redfin were identified as being in Del Cerro under 650K, and sold within the last 6 months.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5440043

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5441083

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5440229

These all look like Del Cerro to my uneducated eyes.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
The houses I looked up on Redfin were identified as being in Del Cerro under 650K, and sold within the last 6 months.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5440043

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5441083

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/...0/home/5440229

These all look like Del Cerro to my uneducated eyes.
Yeah it is, it’s just a small part that’s right next to the freeway. If you drive up the hill literally 3 mins it’s all huge homes over 1m with huge views

Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 PM

55 posts, read 80,872 times
Lived in San Diego County since 1977. Really is xtra cost for the weather here. Just look at Florida now....(lived there) yet another massive life wrecking hurricane coming. No thanks. Most of our problems here are result of very poor politically motivated destructive and very negative decisions (and it continues today). Get out there and vote for more positive changes. ( I approve this message). As a Navy Vet, I can say 'this Ship is 'off course'. This place is worth saving.

Last edited by MovinOnNow; 08-30-2019 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Yeah it is, it’s just a small part that’s right next to the freeway. If you drive up the hill literally 3 mins it’s all huge homes over 1m with huge views
That might.be true, but it doesn't make sense for me to drive up the hill when I'm not buying there, and the area that's in my budget isn't desirable.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:04 AM

3 posts, read 2,549 times
Everyone keeps saying Chula Vista = EAST OF THE 805. For some reason, people don't realize there are some beautiful homes in "Old Chula Vista," WEST OF THE 805... and the weather in W. Chula Vista is quite a bit cooler than E. Chula Vista. In the summer, as I drive east on H Street, toward my vet, I see the car thermometer click up 1 degree for every mile I drive. And that's a good way to figure what the temperature will be in any area you search that is east of the Bay... up to a point, of course. You aren't going to drive 300 miles and see 300 degrees!

I am about 1 1/2 miles from the Bay as the crow flies. I live in a beautiful, custom-built home on a 7,000 ft. lot with low maintenance, and beautiful views from the back of my house: I can see the Bonita Mall (to the east), and further, all the way to Mt. Miguel. If I stand at the top of my driveway, I can see, faintly, the bay on a good day (that's how close I am).

If you look at a map and look at coastal property from north of Los Angeles down to Imperial Beach, you will find that just south of San Diego, all the way down and west of the 805 is THE cheapest coastal property to be found!! It will not stay that way, and Chula Vista will be building a Bay Front development and convention center.

I paid $480 for my home in 2016. It is now worth well over $600k. I have put in solar and other amenities (over $100k), and have increased the value. However, there are still beautiful homes in Chula Vista west of the 805 that would be in your price range and in a lovely, well-kept neighborhood.

Also, I must say, I am SO close to everything: I am literally one mile to one and a half-miles from: Aldi's; Smart and Final; CVS; Dixieline Lumber; Dollar Tree; Grocery Outlet; Food-4-Less; Best Buy; Burlington; Ross; Office Depot; WalMart; McDonalds; Jack-in-the-Box; Zorba's Greek Food; plus many, many wonderful restaurants (including other ethnicities than the Greek Zorba's). These are LITERALLY less than two miles from my home and I could WALK to them if I wanted.

Also, I have Kaiser, and there is a satellite office in Bonita, which is less than three miles from my home.

So, where could I live and have ALL of those amenities within walking distance AND be so close to the bay and the cooler weather? And yet everyone says EAST of the 805 not WEST. Well, good for them! It allowed me to purchase prime property that can only increase substantially in the future.

PLUS, when I get on the 54 Freeway and get on the 5 Freeway, it takes me 15 minutes to get to the Gas Lamp quarter... unless I go in rush-hour traffic.

So, I've given you the info on another part of Chula Vista. East Chula Vista is new and slick and cookie-cutter. Old Chula Vista is quaint and homey and feels like an old shoe. Depends on how "glossy" you want to be. I believe some day people will look back and rue not scooping up homes in W. Chula Vista - so close to the Bay - because it wasn't so shiny.

And, by the way, I can be at the Chula Vista Harbor - where there is actually a yacht club - in less than seven minutes (it is less than four miles away from my house). It's a lovely area and a great place to walk your dogs.

W. Chula Vista will bring you MUCH closer to the San Diego nightlife than E. Chula Vista ever will, and you can find a SFH in your price range quite easily. Do check it out.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
OP I’ve seen East Country mentioned. You said you work from home. Just an FYI, depending on what part, East County may not have fast internet access, if you need it.

I have the option of working from home as does a coworker. He lives in a slightly remote part of East County and can’t get traditional internet. He has to have satellite and it’s very slow. He rarely works from home because it’s too difficult.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 PM

34 posts, read 37,189 times
Curious to see how you feel about moving to SD after visiting. I was going to suggest San Marcos (Lake San Marcos) as there still are a few homes within your price range but its hard to tell if they will have all you are looking for (sq footage, ect) Definitely no pool for under 800,000 is my guess.
The shadowridge area of Vista might be an option.
I live in Carlsbad and love it however we are moving to a more affordable state in the next few years with retirement hopefully not far off on the horizon. CA has just become too expensive for us to retire and we don't want to work till we are in our 80's nor do we want our retirement income taxed twice or at 13% or whatever the state taxes are these days out here.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyddishes View Post
Everyone keeps saying Chula Vista = EAST OF THE 805. For some reason, people don't realize there are some beautiful homes in "Old Chula Vista," WEST OF THE 805... and the weather in W. Chula Vista is quite a bit cooler than E. Chula Vista. In the summer, as I drive east on H Street, toward my vet, I see the car thermometer click up 1 degree for every mile I drive. And that's a good way to figure what the temperature will be in any area you search that is east of the Bay... up to a point, of course. You aren't going to drive 300 miles and see 300 degrees!

I am about 1 1/2 miles from the Bay as the crow flies. I live in a beautiful, custom-built home on a 7,000 ft. lot with low maintenance, and beautiful views from the back of my house: I can see the Bonita Mall (to the east), and further, all the way to Mt. Miguel. If I stand at the top of my driveway, I can see, faintly, the bay on a good day (that's how close I am).

If you look at a map and look at coastal property from north of Los Angeles down to Imperial Beach, you will find that just south of San Diego, all the way down and west of the 805 is THE cheapest coastal property to be found!! It will not stay that way, and Chula Vista will be building a Bay Front development and convention center.

I paid $480 for my home in 2016. It is now worth well over $600k. I have put in solar and other amenities (over $100k), and have increased the value. However, there are still beautiful homes in Chula Vista west of the 805 that would be in your price range and in a lovely, well-kept neighborhood.

Also, I must say, I am SO close to everything: I am literally one mile to one and a half-miles from: Aldi's; Smart and Final; CVS; Dixieline Lumber; Dollar Tree; Grocery Outlet; Food-4-Less; Best Buy; Burlington; Ross; Office Depot; WalMart; McDonalds; Jack-in-the-Box; Zorba's Greek Food; plus many, many wonderful restaurants (including other ethnicities than the Greek Zorba's). These are LITERALLY less than two miles from my home and I could WALK to them if I wanted.

Also, I have Kaiser, and there is a satellite office in Bonita, which is less than three miles from my home.

So, where could I live and have ALL of those amenities within walking distance AND be so close to the bay and the cooler weather? And yet everyone says EAST of the 805 not WEST. Well, good for them! It allowed me to purchase prime property that can only increase substantially in the future.

PLUS, when I get on the 54 Freeway and get on the 5 Freeway, it takes me 15 minutes to get to the Gas Lamp quarter... unless I go in rush-hour traffic.

So, I've given you the info on another part of Chula Vista. East Chula Vista is new and slick and cookie-cutter. Old Chula Vista is quaint and homey and feels like an old shoe. Depends on how "glossy" you want to be. I believe some day people will look back and rue not scooping up homes in W. Chula Vista - so close to the Bay - because it wasn't so shiny.

And, by the way, I can be at the Chula Vista Harbor - where there is actually a yacht club - in less than seven minutes (it is less than four miles away from my house). It's a lovely area and a great place to walk your dogs.

W. Chula Vista will bring you MUCH closer to the San Diego nightlife than E. Chula Vista ever will, and you can find a SFH in your price range quite easily. Do check it out.
I've already checked that part of Chula Vista out, by redfin searches and a quick drive through the last time we were in town. You're right! It's on our short list when we spend extended time there when it gets closer to moving. We didn't get to do a deep dive on all the places we wanted to while we were there because of time, and well...I didn't foresee the suprise of my kids and niece showing up, so time was limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
OP I’ve seen East Country mentioned. You said you work from home. Just an FYI, depending on what part, East County may not have fast internet access, if you need it.

I have the option of working from home as does a coworker. He lives in a slightly remote part of East County and can’t get traditional internet. He has to have satellite and it’s very slow. He rarely works from home because it’s too difficult.
Satellite would introduce too much latency for me. What part of the east does he live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri2455 View Post
Curious to see how you feel about moving to SD after visiting. I was going to suggest San Marcos (Lake San Marcos) as there still are a few homes within your price range but its hard to tell if they will have all you are looking for (sq footage, ect) Definitely no pool for under 800,000 is my guess.
The shadowridge area of Vista might be an option.
I live in Carlsbad and love it however we are moving to a more affordable state in the next few years with retirement hopefully not far off on the horizon. CA has just become too expensive for us to retire and we don't want to work till we are in our 80's nor do we want our retirement income taxed twice or at 13% or whatever the state taxes are these days out here.

Good luck to you!
Thanks!

A pool isn't a neceesity, it's a nice to have. We would have to decide if the cost of maintenance is worth it.

Honestly, we know the state has a high cost of living, and it weighs on our decision. I honestly don't see us retiring here due to our parents/family being mostly in the midwest. I think we're probably looking at 5 to 7 years of staying put and then reevaluating where we are in life. Where are you moving to, if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego