Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:30 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

Looking at homes for sale in SD county I am saddened by a general lack of curb appeal and landscaping in the mid price range. While I realize water is scarce, isn’t there a wish for some sort of pretty planting’s around the home to add attractive artistry? Mostly I see gravel, pavers, artificial turf. Is use of gray water allowed with a permit? The SD I remember from a few decades ago was green and lovely. Even north county.

By mid price range I mean maybe 500-800.

Last edited by luv4horses; 09-21-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Many of us have lush green gardens that we maintain with smart irrigation practices. We have three small rain barrels that help out but certainly don't provide much more than a couple of months worth. It's not all gravel and Aloe plants out here though.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Oh T. Damon you are a landscaper hero! If only others would follow your example.

It's impressive that you can do that with collected rain water. Do you need to live close to the coast to get that lush effect or can you live 10 or more miles inland. And if I might ask, did you use the existing soil or did you need to import or strongly amend it.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:33 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Nice set up TDAMON, do you have neighbors in the back? If so, you can't even tell!

You have to be willing to spend lots of money on a water bill or collect rain water.
Living on the coast versus in land will make no difference, if anything it rains more inland and in the mountains than it does on the coast.

If you really want to see what most of San Diego County looks like without homes and planted trees, visit Mission Trails Regional Park.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:37 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Oh T. Damon you are a landscaper hero! If only others would follow your example.

It's impressive that you can do that with collected rain water. Do you need to live close to the coast to get that lush effect or can you live 10 or more miles inland. And if I might ask, did you use the existing soil or did you need to import or strongly amend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Nice set up TDAMON, do you have neighbors in the back? If so, you can't even tell!

You have to be willing to spend lots of money on a water bill or collect rain water.
Living on the coast versus in land will make no difference, if anything it rains more inland and in the mountains than it does on the coast.

If you really want to see what most of San Diego County looks like without homes and planted trees, visit Mission Trails Regional Park.
Thanks. Amazingly this is only an 1/8 acre lot (less watering, maintenance ) surrounded by similar sized properties and I am quite close to the houses in the front yet cannot really see anybody from the back. We have borrowed landscape from the canyon/park behind us.

The soil around here is mostly clay, with cobblestones throughout so amending it is very beneficial but we mostly work with what we have. We definitely water from the municipal supply but we supplement that with captured water from the barrels and grab a gallon from the kitchen faucet when warming up to pour into watering cans. Don't tell the governor but we have three GASP! water features that evaporate some, but try to keep them topped off with the captured water.

The county gets about twice as much annual rain in the mountains but the coastal weather is milder so slightly less need and evaporation and probably makes it a wash.

There really are 1000s of incredible gardens in the city, some like ours and others more native/xeriscape yet equally beautiful. We go on garden tours all over the area and are amazed what people have created.

If you live in San Diego you might as well have a beautiful garden because we are so lucky to live outside year round I say!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 09-21-2019 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 07:18 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
People who live here are busy. They are working and don't have time to maintain landscaping. Some don't earn enough to pay others to maintain their property. Some inherited their mom's house and are intent on riding it into sawdust. This can be surprising when you are looking at neighborhoods with 700k+ home prices, but it's very common in SD.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-21-2019 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Thanks. Amazingly this is only an 1/8 acre lot (less watering, maintenance ) surrounded by similar sized properties and I am quite close to the houses in the front yet cannot really see anybody from the back. We have borrowed landscape from the canyon/park behind us.

The soil around here is mostly clay, with cobblestones throughout so amending it is very beneficial but we mostly work with what we have. We definitely water from the municipal supply but we supplement that with captured water from the barrels and grab a gallon from the kitchen faucet when warming up to pour into watering cans. Don't tell the governor but we have three GASP! water features that evaporate some, but try to keep them topped off with the captured water.

The county gets about twice as much annual rain in the mountains but the coastal weather is milder so slightly less need and evaporation and probably makes it a wash.

There really are 1000s of incredible gardens in the city, some like ours and others more native/xeriscape yet equally beautiful. We go on garden tours all over the area and are amazed what people have created.

If you live in San Diego you might as well have a beautiful garden because we are so lucky to live outside year round I say!
Looks great. Are you using any drip or drip spray irrigation components? If not, they can extend the benefit of your rain water a lot and allow you to also use less city water..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 PM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
T Damon, you have wonderful garden composition. I'm also a huge garden enthusiast and absolutely love what you've done.

I see a lot of lazy people even in the $1.5 mil price range replacing lawns with green carpet or cobble rock with a few succulents stuck in them. It's important to educate homeowners about the wide variety of drought tolerant trees, shrubs, vines, and groundcovers available to them with totally affordable watering costs. It's not only worth the investment in curb appeal, but it makes enjoying our beautiful weather so much more enjoyable, provides important habitats for wildlife, and keeps soil temperatures lower.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
People who live here are busy. They are working and don't have time to maintain landscaping. Some don't earn enough to pay others to maintain their property. Some inherited their mom's house and are intent on riding it into sawdust. This can be surprising when you are looking at neighborhoods with 700k+ home prices, but it's very common in SD.
As usual spot on
I'm going to be a killJoy here and post this about lawns. "Freedom Grass"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS1pZp2ILwg

Old 09-25-2019, 10:05 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I see a lot of lazy people even in the $1.5 mil price range replacing lawns with green carpet or cobble rock with a few succulents stuck in them.

Nothing looks worse than ripping out a genuine 20' x 20' lawn, and throwing the identical synthetic variant back in its place. That's where people go wrong with fake grass. That's the carpet effect. There's way to do it right but that's not it.

As for hardscapes and dry rock rivers with succulents, I'm fine with those. We're in an older neighborhood so there's old growth that doesn't need any water both on and abutting the property. This at least gives a green backdrop even where I've removed the lawns and filled it with mostly hardscape. In newer developments this tends to look scorched earth though. But I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't want to dump literal bucketfuls of money into the dirt. Water is just too expensive to waste like that. I much prefer potted plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: