Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,609,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post

A fighter jet at any altitude near a runway will be on the order of 5 times louder than the worst commercial airplane out there. Since fighters can’t climb fast in controlled airspace like Miramar is, the claim that they are somehow better for your lab glass is completely absurd. Besides, an airport would have as much vehicle traffic as Miramar does, but it would be spread throughout the day which would no doubt make your commute better.
I live close enough to Miramar that we get their jet noise. It's nowhere near as often or constant as airplane noise from SAN. So though it is louder, it's much, much more infrequent than the noise from SAN. The existing surrounding neighborhoods would be up in arms against a commercial airport at Miramar, equally as much as the military is. So there's that to consider too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,242,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I live close enough to Miramar that we get their jet noise. It's nowhere near as often or constant as airplane noise from SAN. So though it is louder, it's much, much more infrequent than the noise from SAN. The existing surrounding neighborhoods would be up in arms against a commercial airport at Miramar, equally as much as the military is. So there's that to consider too.
I used to live in Pt Loma and while not directly under the outbound flight path of planes out of Lindbergh, I was still close enough to really hate the almost non-stop daytime noise of plane, after plane, after plane, after plane, after.....

I'm kinda close to Miramar and right now.....silence.

Sure, when they have flight exercises or engine testing it can be noisy, but then there will be a day or even two of pure golden nothingness.

Turn Miramar into a commercial airport and it'll be like I'm back in Pt Loma...ugh.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 803,392 times
Quote:

A fighter jet at any altitude near a runway will be on the order of 5 times louder than the worst commercial airplane out there. Since fighters can’t climb fast in controlled airspace like Miramar is, the claim that they are somehow better for your lab glass is completely absurd. Besides, an airport would have as much vehicle traffic as Miramar does, but it would be spread throughout the day which would no doubt make your commute better.
Got any data to support that contention? Even if true, 5 dB less than the planes going above right now is still way too loud. If continuous as in a commercial airport, would not be compatible with the current business environment here in Sorrento Valley.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM

111 posts, read 74,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Got any data to support that contention? Even if true, 5 dB less than the planes going above right now is still way too loud. If continuous as in a commercial airport, would not be compatible with the current business environment here in Sorrento Valley.
They did an analysis during the last airport go around. They had noise analysis that showed that it was about 55 decibels at the 805. When they tossed in the fighters, the same noise level exploded all the way to the 5. The one thing the public never argued was that it would be louder. It was an issue of closing a base vs. a new airport. It will be an airport inside of 50 years. San Diego won’t have a choice. Even if they had been able to build it, the thing wouldn’t even have started construction for another five years and opened in 2030. Because new engine technology was unknown back then in terms of what the noise level would be, they would have done all of their analysis on old noise information making the impact larger (787 didn’t exist except on paper back then). 10 years from now, the planes will be significantly quieter thanks to new engines. By then their numbers will be in the thousands making a huge impact. For the newest 737s noise contour is 40% smaller. For the Airbus it’s 50% smaller.

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/73...oise-footprint

https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...ar-at-msp.html

Last edited by Badger09; 11-22-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM

111 posts, read 74,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Wait until the get four squadrons of F-35s. It’ll be the 1980’s again when Miramar was Fightertown.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:42 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,752,648 times
If only our city leaders back then had a vision....

In 1947, the Marines moved to MCAS El Toro in Orange County, California, and Miramar was redesignated as NAAS Miramar (Naval Auxiliary Air Station Miramar). It became NAS Miramar (Naval Air Station Miramar) on 1 March 1952. In 1954, the Navy offered NAS Miramar to San Diego for $1 and the city considered using the base to relocate its airport.[12] But it was deemed at the time to be too far away from most residents and the offer was declined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine...tation_Miramar

And speaking of San Diego Airport, the FAA released passenger info recently and SAN has moved up 3 spots to the 24th busiest in the Country. Impressive for a single runway airport.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/plannin...planements.pdf

Old 11-23-2019, 12:51 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,752,648 times
Regarding Palomar, they approved the runway extension last year. It would be great if the short distance flights to LA, SF, PHX, Las Vegas, among others make a come back. Bummer California Pacific couldn't survive.

https://www.countynewscenter.com/boa...t-master-plan/

Old 11-25-2019, 07:08 AM

50,449 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Wait until the get four squadrons of F-35s. It’ll be the 1980’s again when Miramar was Fightertown.
Can't wait to see those birds on touch and gos.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,320,196 times
I was just as SAN Terminal one which is a necessary evil for those who depart via Southwest. I was surprised to see 7 news reporters interviewing random travelers there about their Thanksgiving travel plans. I will be curious when this terminal would be replaced or renovated its just horrible in every way. First of all, one part of the terminal containing some of Southwest's flights is inaccessible from the secure area of the other Southwest Airlines gates. I don't know if anyone connects in SAN between these gates but that would be a horrible experience as they would need to exit and go through security again and to add insult to the injury there is also no TSA pre line for gates on the east side. Its also interesting how the terminal level is on the tarmac level which means the jetbridge goes up from the ground level to the plane opposite the configuration than most airport terminals including the other parts of SAN. I remember a while ago back when they attached air stairs to the back exit of the plane allowing front and rear boarding and deboarding.

While the main part of terminal 1 has TSA precheck its very tight and the pre line does not have bins(only small bowls)which the normal line has for some unknown reason. While one can sneak a bin to the pre line the personnal will stop you if they see you doing so. Even though we can keep our belts, jackets, 311s, and laptops inside for TSA pre there are still times when bins come in handy. Though the worst thing is unlike the other terminal and most other airports there are no seating right past the checkpoint to put belts on again.
The gate area is extremely cramped the unlike everywhere else and the line up area is also where people walk out the gate and boarding passengers would also need to squeeze past preboarding wheelchairs to get on the plane.
There are also hardly any food options at terminal One especially post-security. The taxi/Rideshare pickup zone is a madhouse as well where the sidewalk is barely passable when a number of planes land and people are all trying to get uber/lyft. It used to be the case with taxis though nowadays almost no one take taxis from the line anymore. On the flip side Terminal 2 is the difference between night and day from Terminal One in terms of Rideshare/taxi/shuttle pickup, TSA checkpoint setup, available food/stores and the overall experience in general. I am really hoping for the day when a new airport would be built in which Southwest can at least use the other terminal and this terminal would be demolished for good.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:04 AM

1,082 posts, read 835,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Can't wait to see those birds on touch and gos.
Agreed...I, for one, love the military aviation that is part of San Diego. My dad was an F-4 pilot, so I grew up loving all things aviation. There is a great pull off right off the 15 where one can watch them circle and do touch and goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego