Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
What in God’s green earth are you talking about? The 73 is a short stretch from San Juan Capistrano to Huntington Beach. Often it’s not even worth the $7-$8 to bypass the 405 for that stretch.
For those unfamiliar with southern California's freeway system-I meant use the 73 toll in addition to other freeways to travel from San Diego to the L.A. Airport(in case anyone reading that actually thought the 73 was a 100 plus mile freeway). To get to an airport that has direct flights to middle tier metros in the midwest that will save me hours (yes, even with the drive) and $100's, I'll pay that toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 01:25 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
For those unfamiliar with southern California's freeway system-I meant use the 73 toll in addition to other freeways to travel from San Diego to the L.A. Airport(in case anyone reading that actually thought the 73 was a 100 plus mile freeway). To get to an airport that has direct flights to middle tier metros in the midwest that will save me hours (yes, even with the drive) and $100's, I'll pay that toll.
Then why say “right now you can take the 73 toll road straight to LAX from San Diego”? The end of the 73 stills leaves you 40 miles away from LAX. It’s hardly worth mentioning a 15 mile toll road on a 125 mile trip.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The average person I talk to who lives in San Diego, "what are you talking about, the airport is so convenient right downtown, its perfect!"

I don't see too much general awareness that a one runway airport to serve a growing 3.4 million metro is even a problem amongst San Diegans, unfortunately. It all goes back to that baked in "If we get (insert basic amenity), then we'll be just like LoS AnGeLEs San Diego mentality.

As it exists now, SAN is good for flights up the coast on Alaska Airlines, and quick flights to Vegas and Phoenix. I don't even check airfares for anything other than that flying out of SAN anymore because there is no point.
No point? I don't follow you. There plenty of flights out of SD to many destinations the world over.

I flew to London direct from SD earlier this year for about the same price as a LAX departure. Flying to NYC for thanksgiving in two weeks also. Flights were a little more expensive than out of LAX, but well worth the small extra cost to not have to do that drive, especially in time for a 7am departure. Plus we'd be landing at 5pm at LAX on the way home... just in time to fight traffic all the way back to SD. No thanks!

Flew to Nashville from SD a few weeks also.

And taking the 73 toll road hardly helps as the worst of the traffic is from Long Beach all the way to LAX.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:08 PM

334 posts, read 362,794 times
What's the limiting factor at the airport?

Old 11-07-2019, 03:20 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

And taking the 73 toll road hardly helps as the worst of the traffic is from Long Beach all the way to LAX.
Yes - the glorious 405, longest car park in Southern California.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yes - the glorious 405, longest car park in Southern California.
I've driven from SD to Santa Barbara twice per month for the last 12 years. I know the 405 like the back of my hand.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 AM

111 posts, read 74,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
What's the limiting factor at the airport?
Single runway, available land, terrain. Pretty much built out.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
Single runway, available land, terrain. Pretty much built out.
Couldn't you just make another airport in the desert somewhere in a rural place?

I'm no expert … but I mean for a city of SD's size, the airport is quite limiting.

My family out there don't bother with it unless they're coming out to see us on the East Coast.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Other than the tourism industry I don't see who benefits. SD is not a business hub type of city.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Couldn't you just make another airport in the desert somewhere in a rural place?

I'm no expert … but I mean for a city of SD's size, the airport is quite limiting.

My family out there don't bother with it unless they're coming out to see us on the East Coast.
Uh sure. They could build a new airport out in the desert someplace, but then it wouldn't be the San Diego airport. It would be the El Centro airport. Great for the residents of El Centro' not so much for the residents of San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego