Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 34,807 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently have discovered this website, and I must say that I am ever-so grateful, because this is just the thing that I was looking for to assist me in my relocation. I come from NorthEast,Ohio (Akron to be exact) and as far back as I can remember I have always had the desire to relocate. I have family located in Napa Valley, San francisco,Sacramento,and Los Angeles(L.A. is not an option- I spent alot of summers out there, and I am terrified of the crime rate as well as the L.A.P.D.)
I love California, and I am looking for a city that is more progressive than Akron e.g.- job opportunites, more Universities to choose from, more nightlife ect. Well now I am 25yrs.old and I have recently graduated with my A.A.B. in Criminal Justice. I know that it isn't much but I really just want to relocate so I can continue my education with my B.A. in Political Science, then I plan on attending Law School or Grad School to major in Law.

I am torn because there are certain requirements for the next city/state that I choose to relocate to that must be satisfied:
1) NO SNOW- born and raised here and sick of it/Coastal(must be near water)
2) Good school system- I also have a ten year old that will relocate w/me
3) Decent Universities within a reasonable commute time
4) Crime rate- which should have gone unsaid(don't want to end up on Forensic Files)

I am very much aware of the cost of living difference and not really worried too much about the rent and such-(the same survival amenities that I have used to survive here on my own since I was 17yrs.old are everywhere)- I just really want to reloctae to a sunny, safe, progressive city where I can cont. my education. I have recently been considering San Diego, North San Diego to be exact. Any good thorough suggestions? Tampa, Florida is an option also, but the same rules apply...please help, I am looking to relocate w/i 1yr. any advise that I haven't read already will be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 11:42 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,515 times
If you're looking in North County coastal, try Encinitas, Del Mar, or Leucadia. All are small, nice, liveable cities. Crime rates are not high in these areas. Most of the beach communities in North County are progressive (although San Diego, in general is considered to be conservative, politically speaking). None are terribly close to any universities, but distance is relative. Not sure how close to any college you'll want to be.
These cities also have good schools for your child. (Check out greatschools.net for school stats and info).

The only University in North County is CSU San Marcos. It's a newer university, and growing. The city of San Marcos is nice. More suburban than the beach cities. (Schools on the south side of the 78 freeway are good, north of the 78 are a bit dicey). I mention San Marcos because it's about 10 miles from the ocean, and depending on where you live, you can get a nice breeze off the ocean. Rents/housing will also be cheaper the further inland you go, and it'll be hotter. Most days count on around upwards of 10 degrees warmer inland than on the coast.

Other schools are mostly in the San Diego area. USD (I seem to recall it's known for it's law curriculum); it's centrally located in the Mission Valley area, Point Loma Nazarene College in Point Loma (right on the cliffs/ocean - beautiful campus!), and UCSD in Torrey Pines (coastal area). It really depends on where in north county you lived as to which campus is easiest to get to. Here's why:
* We have 2 freeways that run roughly North/South. The "5" along the coast, and the "15" inland. Both tend to be close to parking lots during rush hours. People who live in North County tend to commute to San Diego for work, so traffic runs south in the AM, and north during the PM hours. Traffic isn't too bad otherwise. (Unless it rains).
Close to UCSD: off the 5 freeway: La Jolla, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas.
Close to USD: off the 8, 5 freeways: central beach areas are closest, Pacific Beach, Del Mar, Pt Loma.

(SDSU is inland quite a ways, east off the 8 freeway, and won't be convenient to beach areas that aren't in central San Diego).

CSU San Marcos is in between the 5 and 15 freeways. Relatively close to: Encinitas, Leucadia, Oceanside (oh, but crappy schools in O'side), Carlsbad. (not sure about the schools in Carlsbad).

I personally really like Encinitas. Nice, clean town, lots to do, walkable, good schools. You might have a commute though, depending on your school load and times you'd be on the road. If you lived in Encinitas and went to school at UCSD, you'd probably have around a 30 minute commute time if there were no traffic.

Not sure what else you would look for in a commute time. San Diego traffic has gotten out of hand in the last 15 years, or so. I would pick my school first, then find a place to live within a commute I could handle.

Hopefully this helps.

BTW: Not sure why people on these forums call California, "Cali", but no one from California actually calls it that : ) Depending on where we live, we either say "So. Cal", or "No. Cal".

Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 34,807 times
Smile Thanks 4 Everything

Thanks alot,

The information that you supplied was priceless.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM

33 posts, read 298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
BTW: Not sure why people on these forums call California, "Cali", but no one from California actually calls it that : ) Depending on where we live, we either say "So. Cal", or "No. Cal".
I was wondering this myself. Same goes for calling SF "Frisco".

Old 12-27-2006, 07:58 PM

144 posts, read 935,480 times
I live in Leucadia (which is a part of Encinitas) and it's a great place to live. However, for a clubbing, bar hopping 20 something you should look elsewhere. It's more of a 'family' town, which isn't bad. Good schools, amazing beaches (you can find some that aren't crowded in the summer...you just have to know where to go), good food and it's safe. Plus, you have the great coastal moderate climate.

As a highschool student, Encinitas is ideal for me. If you choose the more beach areas in encinitas it is also more attractive in terms of bigger trees/lusher landscaping. Especially the area between Santa Fe Drive and La Costa but west of the 5 is a great area. Huge trees and lush landscaping, no sidewalks give it a 'throwback' feel to what cali was like 20 or so years ago instead of the plain, tractcrap of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego