Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 15,730 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the San Diego area and currently planning a scouting trip this spring. Would love some feedback on areas to explore while I am there.

Some Background:
Female, 40, single, no kids, work from home with my own e-commerce business. Currently living in Phoenix AZ and the summer heat has finally gotten to me. Can't stand it here anymore! I grew up in San Marcos during the 80s and I thought it was a nice place but I'm sure it's completely different now.

Looking for:
  • Condo/townhome to purchase (1-2 bedroom)
  • Private, attached garage (no underground garages shared by all residents)
  • Gated complex
  • Low HOA fees
  • No more than 20 min. drive to the beach
  • Close to a freeway
  • Quiet neighborhood with nice people
  • Low crime area, I want to feel safe walking down the street alone
  • Would like San Diego area but open to other coastal communities, will go as far north as Oceanside
  • Budget is $500k

Don't care about:
  • Schools
  • Nightlife
  • Social events/concerts
  • Restaurants

For fun I mostly go hiking or to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 12:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
I've lived in Phoenix. I know your pain.

You have a big shopping list. You'll need to make a few concessions to keep to your budget. You're going to get a lot of opinions but you sound like a UTC area resident to me. Zip codes: 92122, 92121, and 92037. Rent before you buy. We rented 15 years ago (it was a royal pain) and we are glad we did. Once you live in the ever-changing San Diego, you'll find you're ideal neighborhood. Don't let anyone talk you into the "buy now or you'll be priced out" meme.

Btw... we host lots of old Phoenix friends at our house in the summer months. It must be getting hotter in Phoenix because our calendar is full for 2020.

Last edited by cruitr; 01-01-2020 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
Hi, Pink378!

Looking at what you'd like, I immediately thought of Carlsbad. There are lots of condo communities there, close to the beach, there is shopping, and lots of nice areas. We have friends that live there and they love it.

I second the "rent before you buy" advice. San Diego is so big, and you may fall in love with an area that is not the one you are renting in. Then you can take your time to look.

Happy relocation!

Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink378 View Post
I am looking to relocate to the San Diego area and currently planning a scouting trip this spring. Would love some feedback on areas to explore while I am there.

Some Background:
Female, 40, single, no kids, work from home with my own e-commerce business. Currently living in Phoenix AZ and the summer heat has finally gotten to me. Can't stand it here anymore! I grew up in San Marcos during the 80s and I thought it was a nice place but I'm sure it's completely different now.

Looking for:
  • Condo/townhome to purchase (1-2 bedroom)
  • Private, attached garage (no underground garages shared by all residents)
  • Gated complex
  • Low HOA fees
  • No more than 20 min. drive to the beach
  • Close to a freeway
  • Quiet neighborhood with nice people
  • Low crime area, I want to feel safe walking down the street alone
  • Would like San Diego area but open to other coastal communities, will go as far north as Oceanside
  • Budget is $500k

For fun I mostly go hiking or to the beach.
I think I found a really good home for you:

Tierrasanta (Listing)
  • Close to 52/15 freeways;
  • Attached garage;
  • $475K 2BR;
  • Safe, quiet
  • Reasonable HOA ($300)
  • 20-min drive to La Jolla shores! ;
  • Mission Trails park is literally right behind you. The hiking trail starts on both sides of the complex!
  • Not gated
Or did you want a more walkable area? (not sure that exists given your other criteria)

Here is a gated community in Chula Vista/Otay Ranch (listing):
  • $465K 3BR
  • Attached garage
  • Reasonable HOA
  • Gated
  • Close to Otay Lake + hiking
  • Walking distance to Otay Ranch town center, parks, etc.
  • 30+ minutes to beach
  • Close to major roads and toll road, but not freeway

A few mentioned UTC or Carlsbad, but I don't think you'll meet much of your criteria due to price, gated communities, attached garage, etc. I just did an exhaustive search on zillow and didn't come up with much.

Had I not done that search I would have recommended the same. The housing supply is very low right now

Old 01-04-2020, 08:14 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
It all depends on what you want. Both places above are in very car centric, strip mall type areas. If you want a truly walkable place in a great area, I’d pick this place.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/.../home/12165180

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:51 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
It all depends on what you want. Both places above are in very car centric, strip mall type areas. If you want a truly walkable place in a great area, I’d pick this place.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/.../home/12165180

Good luck.
Great suggestion! I would totally choose this one based on my own preferences.

I wonder if anyone can speak to how quiet it is. It's a commercial street, but it looks far enough north to be away from most of the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego