U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 AM

8 posts, read 16,456 times

Advertisements

we want to rent a 4 bedroom home for 3 years in san diego area...the most important things to us are...safety and good schools...we realize a commute to san diego WILL be necessary for this and thats ok...
we are looking at these areas...temecula, murrieta, hemet
any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!!
thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 AM

786 posts, read 3,652,988 times
Those areas are awfully far out, any reason you picked them? There are areas closer to San Diego that are safe and have good schools.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM

181 posts, read 841,087 times
Hemet does not have that great schools. My mom is a teacher there. And if you are commuting to san diego proper, your commute will probably be around two hours or so depending on traffic. My parents live in vista, (north san diego) and it takes my mom about 45 min to an hour and she goes against traffic. Plus I wouldnt say that those areas are generally safer than nice areas of san diego. Also many areas of hemet and murietta have a very high ethnic pop. If your kids are white, they may be some of the only ones in the school. This isnt ness. a bad thing, just something to be aware of I guess. Some good things about those areas is that murrieta and hemet are cheaper than san diego. Temecula used to be a lot cheaper, but it is starting to become more pricey. But since you are looking in those areas, you might also want to check out Menifee...It is suppose to be really nice.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Those areas are awfully far out, any reason you picked them? There are areas closer to San Diego that are safe and have good schools.
i guess i was just assuming that they were more suburby and a little less crazy. the biggest city we have lived in was virginia beach/norfolk area and i hated where we lived there...crimey and trafficky...but loved the beach

so what areas of san diego have that small town feel and are affordable?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM

30 posts, read 225,383 times
Almost every part of San Diego has a small town feel, by design. It's more of a collection of communities than a real city.

Now, affordable is a different story altogether. A good basic rule of thumb for housing prices in CA is, the further away from water you get, the cheaper they are. After that, I don't have much specific advice for you. You need to tell us what you're looking for and especially how much you're comfortable paying for a home before we can help you more.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 PM

381 posts, read 376,655 times
I would look into Poway. Some parts are country like and the school district is superior.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 816,659 times
If you're just looking to rent and not buy, check out Coronado (you'd be hard pressed to find a house there for less than a million...that's why I recommend it if you're renting). I used to live there, and it's a safe, cute, touristy area on it's own little "island" off the city of San Diego. They have their own school district comprised of two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. One downside is that you have to take the Coronado bridge or drive way down the Silver Strand into Imperial Beach to get anywhere in San Diego, but it's a nice place to live and has it's own grocery stores, restaurants, and so on, plus a great beach for the family.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM

98 posts, read 315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2khh View Post
we want to rent a 4 bedroom home for 3 years in san diego area...the most important things to us are...safety and good schools...we realize a commute to san diego WILL be necessary for this and thats ok...
we are looking at these areas...temecula, murrieta, hemet
any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!!
thank you
Rancho Penisquitas is a nice area.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 PM

240 posts, read 838,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
Rancho Penisquitas is a nice area.
Rancho Penisquitas?! That must be the gay part of town.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 AM

349 posts, read 1,459,850 times
mom2khh: it's not necessary to commute all the way up to Temecula/Murrietta to find a nice suburb with good schools. Check out eastern Chula Vista (Eastlake/Rolling Hills Ranch/Otay Ranch/San Miguel Ranch). These areas are very nice, family friendly with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego