Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,545,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Of course travel / tourism will take a hard hit ... and then it will recover. Although I do wonder about the cruise ship industry. But then I’ve never gotten how that’s such a thing anyway.
Even before coronavirus, cruises seemed like recipes for getting sick. The risk/reward doesn't seem worth it.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM

21,604 posts, read 16,097,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Even before coronavirus, cruises seemed like recipes for getting sick. The risk/reward doesn't seem worth it.
No kidding

Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 PM

83 posts, read 169,107 times
Now that TJ is closing stuff down, does anyone have recent feedback on us citizen ability to cross the border? Can I still cross the border to guy buy medication?

Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,263,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Stores are now doing special hours for seniors, including Costco. I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick after going to Costco.*
You simply can’t shut down food stores and that will not happen. PA systems and helicopters sound like a police state and an extreme fear reaction. I’m not going to be afraid of going out or going to a store, if I need to. We do weekly shopping and we will be going either Friday or Saturday.*
I understand the need for precautions, but not letting fear rule your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Brief, casual co-mingling among people is unlikely the main vector for the virus. Nonetheless, I'm glad stores have put these measures in place. The latest data I read says that more people in the 18-49 year range are testing positive than the higher age groups now. But that shouldn't be a surprise if we assume that the older groups have heeded the warnings from weeks ago and stayed out of the public as much as possible.
Too late based on some posters and newsreports its already feels like a police state for San Diego's beach neighborhoods, since Monday helicopters, Lifeguard stations would go on the PA for anyone including those who live along the boardwalk dare to travel down the boardwalk(some shoreline homes only pedestrian access) or the beach at all even solo. I applaud the restraint some cities show that they may close piers and parking lots i.e Oceanside, Huntington Beach, etc,* but would not run people off the beach itself let alone in the water. I do believe*pull bars, jungle gyms, and fire pits should be sealed off, parking spaces should be one open for each four blocked. But shutting down the whole beach for the whole week seems kneejerk*at best, might as well block parking spaces in Costco instead to discourage going inside and encourage curbside pickups. I have a feeling that much of the West is going to turn into more of a police state than even the CCP soon. In Spain news reports state that surfing and bicycle riding has been specifically banned as a form of exercise and fines had been dished out. Similar to Italy and France.
Interestingly I read in an article that some people in China both Chinese and foreigners took to the beach/waters after everything else was shut. But they never ran them off beaches despite how many tourists of both mainland and foreign origin were already in Hainan before the travel ban begin. And number of hospital cases in that area remained less than 100.

Not covered by mainstream news people living in New York I know personally stated some they know had gotten sick after a Costco run, especially during panic buying last week. Though whether they are sick with Coronavirus or just catching other viruses or bacteria remains to be determined. Though there seem to be no cases that were traced due directly to beach or trail use.* I do wish stores stop anyone from bringing a reusable bag in for now. Some chains in other states already did.And that CA and cities waive any restrictions on bags and other hygienic*disposable items. Some states like NH already did so.*

Its amazing how many senior members 65 and older really took advantage of that early open hour for them and pretty much did an orderly Black Friday line up at the door before it opens on the news last night.*Costco is one of those places where everything is packed in bulk anyways, not much picking and choosing. Thus should really consider having curbside service where the shopper selects the item on the catalog and the staff loads their car with another line for preorders/instacart. This would greatly reduce the number of people taking shopping carts. But if people are allowed to briefly mingle at stores they should be encouraged to go to open spaces as much as possible to build up their immune systems as its the only last line of defense for now.*

If anyone says I am making things up I would be glad to share my quotations of where I got the info in a next report. Except what I heard from someone living in New York.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-25-2020 at 03:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM

987 posts, read 769,969 times
This Week Is ‘Crucial’ for San Diego's Virus Fight, Scientist Warns:

If San Diegans don’t stay home now, says one local scientist who studies viruses, we’ll pay a deadly price.

This is a do-or-die week in San Diego for fighting the coronavirus here, and it’s crucial for everyone to stay home, says a local scientist whose stark warning about the potential for catastrophe spread across social media on Tuesday.

“There are going to be a lot of people carrying and shedding the virus sometime this week … Taking everything together, this is a terrible week to be around other people,” wrote Forest Rohwer, a scientist who studies viruses at San Diego State University, in an email to colleagues that spread beyond the college community to websites like Facebook and Reddit.

Rohwer, who studies viruses in people and in the ocean, didn’t intend for the email to reach the public. “It was just for academics in my lab, honestly, to tell them what it looks like and where we’re at,” he said. But he’s happy to elaborate on why he thinks the next few days are so important in the battle against the coronavirus in San Diego.

In an interview, he said this is an “inflection point” — “a crucial week to flatten the curve” — because models suggest that California in general and San Diego specifically are about two weeks away from exploding past the capacity of hospitals to treat coronavirus patients.

“If we don’t want to let this balloon out of control, we need to stop it literally right now,” he said. The growth in cases “becomes impossible to stop when it really starts going. That’s how those exponentials work.”

He’s talking about how coronavirus cases have been growing exponentially in some parts of the world – doubling, then doubling again at an even faster rate until thousands are sick and dying. In the United States, according to CNN, deaths from the virus doubled from 100 to 200 over three days last week, then doubled again to 400 over two days by Sunday. Another doubling – to 800 – appears likely on Wednesday.

This week is important, he said, because models suggest that cases could overwhelm hospitals two weeks from now under some scenarios. It typically takes about two weeks for patients to need to be hospitalized after they’re infected, so this week is what he calls the “inflection point” that will decide whether we go down a road toward extreme sickness and death.

“The easiest way to think about it is to call it the point of no return, or a break point: A point in time where if too many people get infected, we won’t have enough hospital beds, and that means we’ll start having much higher death rates,” he said.

Rohwer pointed to the Covid Act Now model, created by a team of researchers, that estimates that California’s hospitals will become overwhelmed by April 7 — two weeks from now – if the state’s residents do nothing to prevent the spread of the virus. Nearly 800,000 Californians will die under this scenario.

Simply engaging in “social distancing” would push that date forward to April 19 and lead to an estimated 597,000 deaths. But the model estimates that hospitals won’t reach capacity before mid-summer if the state adopts a “shelter in place” strategy – which it has done – for three months. In this scenario, however, deaths in the state would reach 18,000.

San Diego County health officials are working on a model to predict local cases. But Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s top public health official, declined on Tuesday to tell reporters anything about what these efforts have produced.

As of Tuesday, San Diego County reported 242 cases of patients who tested positive for coronavirus and 45 total hospitalizations (possibly including patients who were released). Only 16 of the hospitalized patients were over the age of 60, and five were under 30. One resident has died in the county, and another resident died in another county.

What should we do this week? Stay away from other people, Rohrer said, and understand that we’re in a danger zone where what we do – or don’t do – matters not just to us but everyone else.

“We really are at that critical point,” he said.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ientist-warns/

Old 03-25-2020, 04:54 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,237,335 times
Most of the NYC deaths were people with underlying health issues. The largest percentage of people hospitalized were 65+.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w?srnd=premium

Old 03-25-2020, 05:07 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
Now that TJ is closing stuff down, does anyone have recent feedback on us citizen ability to cross the border? Can I still cross the border to guy buy medication?
The border isn't closed, and you can cross without a problem.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 PM

987 posts, read 769,969 times
Just got this weeks free Reader from my local store, lots of jobs available if anyone needs a job:

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/class...y/help-wanted/

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

1,600 posts, read 932,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Disbanded the pandemic NSC subgroup, spews fountains of misinformation at pressers (eg, cloroquine), did not reduce to actual practice the Defense Production Act for ventiliators/PPE, shows no empathy/healing, and more. But it is okay, as he take no responsibility at all. Govs Cuomo and Newsom and Dewine acting like responsible leaders in contrast. In the days of olde a time ago, the buck stopped here at the oval office desk, now it is a source of aggrieved whiney b*tchy complaining but I was told to f*kc my feelings.
lol, sorry...but none of what you mentioned is even close to negligence..."shows no empathy/health"? Are you serious? You're looking for something wrong and there's no pleasing you no matter what he does. That's politics.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 825,718 times
I think I just can't believe how many still buy the MSM hype. SMFH....whatever feels good I guess.

SD being on lockdown is some more total BS. Cool....more freedoms we give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego