Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 09:43 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,233,704 times

Advertisements

Pfizer just announced that their vaccine looks like it has a 90% effectiveness rate in their study. “The preliminary results could pave a way for vaccine by year end.”

Encouraging.

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-va...42be22a2240ae8

Old 11-09-2020, 10:10 AM

9,779 posts, read 11,433,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Pfizer just announced that their vaccine looks like it has a 90% effectiveness rate in their study. “The preliminary results could pave a way for vaccine by year end.”

Encouraging.

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-va...42be22a2240ae8
I read this this morning this is really good News.
Now we just have to make sure everyone takes the Vaccine and doesn't go all Alex Jones on us about, Bill Gates trying to put chips in us Yada, Yada

Old 11-09-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I read this this morning this is really good News.
Now we just have to make sure everyone takes the Vaccine and doesn't go all Alex Jones on us about, Bill Gates trying to put chips in us Yada, Yada
Yeah, we’ll still have to deal with the anti-vaxxers. Maybe people will more confidence without the Trump regime in place.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:45 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
You asked "what’s the FBI’s #1 terrorist threat to America right now?"
You're disputing what the FBI says right on their own website under the heading of Terrorism - The Current Threat. How much more "right now" and "terrorist threat" do you want? Or does current mean something else to you? Cherry picking a quote from Wray, regardless if his figures are right (and I'm not disputing those), doesn't mean anything especially when it's inconsistent with the specific message from the FBI. And that message is specifically tailored to answer the exact question you posed. And I already explained that using the most wanted list, sorting that list for domestic terror suspects, also doesn't support what you're contending. Look at the list if you don't believe me. Find me all the white supremacists whatevers on it.

Anyway, back to the topic.
San Diego slips back into the purple people eater tier amidst all the excitement of yet another terrible presidential election. We're never going to break this cycle.
Just reading about armed right wing militias protesting the vote counts ... reminded me of this dispute ^^…

Joosoon, directly quoting FBI Director Wray speaking in a congressional hearing isn’t “cherry picking”.

And your attempt to conflate the FBI’s domestic terror suspect list with what they consider the #1 domestic terrorism threat is bizarre: individual terror suspects on a list - and consideration of threat from ideological organizations - are not the same thing. Frankly absurd.

Read up:
Quote:
Terrorism in the United States
In 2018, most ideologically motivated murders in the United States of America were linked to right-wing extremism.[8]

As of 2020, right-wing terrorism accounted for the majority of terrorist attacks and plots in the US[9] and has killed more people in the continental United States since the September 11 attacks than Islamic terrorism.[10]

For the past decade, the national conversation on terrorism has largely focused on Islamic extremist acts, however law enforcement groups have made it clear that Muslim extremists make up a minute percentage of ideologically based terror attacks in the United States.[19] Since 9/11/2001, only about 9 American Muslims per year have taken part in terrorist plots in the United States, in total, 20 incidents resulted in about 50 deaths. A 2012 study showed that in about the same time period right-wing extremists were responsible for about 337 attacks per year, in total, they killed more than 5 times the number of people killed by Muslims in the United States.[20]

The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism maintains Profiles of Individual Radicalization in the United States, a database containing over 1,800 profiles of individuals radicalized by ideologies since 1948.[21] The database shows that from 1948 through 2016, 40.0% of identified extremists were far-right, 24.5% were Islamist and 17.4% were far-left, while 18.2% were "single issue" individuals.[22]

In May 2019, the FBI for the first time identified fringe conspiracy theories as a potential source of domestic terrorism, specifically citing QAnon.[23]

A June 2020 study by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) reported that over 25 years of domestic terrorism incidents, the majority of attacks and plots have come from far-right attackers. The trend has accelerated in recent years, with this sector responsible for about 66% of attacks and plots in 2019, and 90% of those in 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror..._United_States

And dozens of (government generated) links here to studies and papers on domestic violence threats ... the majority of which are right-wing extremist:
Quote:
Homeland Security Digital Library
Domestic (U.S.) Terrorism

Government Reports

https://www.hsdl.org/?collection&id=86563

And backing up FBI’s Wray in the same congressional hearings:
Quote:
DHS Report Says White Supremacist Groups Are Deadliest US Terror Threat
By Spectrum News Staff & Associated Press Washington, D.C.
PUBLISHED 3:10 PM ET Oct. 07, 2020

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In its first-ever “Homeland Threat Assessment” released on Tuesday, the Department of Homeland Security named white supremacist groups as the single most dangerous domestic extremist threat to the nation.

“As Secretary, I am concerned about any form of violent extremism. That is why we design our programs to be threat agnostic – ensuring that we can combat a broad range of domestic threats,” acting DHS secretary Chad Wolf said in a written statement. “However, I am particularly concerned about white supremacistviolent extremists who have been exceptionally lethal in their abhorrent, targeted attacks in recent years.”

Among these domestic groups, racially and ethnically motivated violent extremists – in particular, white supremacist extremists – are those who pose the greatest national threat, the report notes.
Just for fun, from a conservative media:
Quote:
FBI warned of white supremacist 'infiltration' of police
... The FBI in 2006 saw danger of white supremacist “infiltration” of American policing, including law enforcement officers who leaked information to groups with which they sympathized, according to a formerly secret document a Democratic congressman released Tuesday.
The 2006 assessment also warned that white supremacist “infiltration” of policing could result in a “passive tolerance of racism.”

... A heavily redacted version of the memo was published by The Intercept in 2017, hinting at the FBI’s awareness of links between white supremacists and law enforcement. The full memo details the exact scenarios the FBI worried about, including police tipping off fringe groups when they were under investigation, or giving them access to areas the public wouldn’t normally have, increasing risks of sabotage.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ration-police/
And for a more detailed look at the same report:
Quote:
I was an FBI agent who infiltrated white supremacists. Too many local police don’t take the far right seriously — or they actively sympathize with them.
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...urgent-concern
More?

Old 11-09-2020, 03:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

More?

That's a lot of work just to avoid going straight to the source, fbi.gov, and seeing what they say instead. If I wanted to get a pulse on what the EPA was up to, I wouldn't go to wikipedia, wapo or the others. I'd just go get the info straight from the horse's mouth directly. And when I do that with respect to the FBI's information on terrorism, the things you're claiming (true or not) are totally absent under that heading, specifically under the heading Terrorism - The Current Threat. Maybe you should contact them to update their website to reflect the reality you desire.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:14 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
That's a lot of work just to avoid going straight to the source, fbi.gov, and seeing what they say instead. If I wanted to get a pulse on what the EPA was up to, I wouldn't go to wikipedia, wapo or the others. I'd just go get the info straight from the horse's mouth directly. And when I do that with respect to the FBI's information on terrorism, the things you're claiming (true or not) are totally absent under that heading, specifically under the heading Terrorism - The Current Threat. Maybe you should contact them to update their website to reflect the reality you desire.
Maybe you should look through a variety of sources before dismissing what the FBI director said to congress? The variety of other sources was offered to demonstrate how solid the claim is (of right wing extremism being the nation’s #1 domestic terror threat according to federal law enforcement and homeland security agencies, including the FBI).

And, most importantly, the point of mentioning the issue was to correct the balance of accusations being flung around the forum of how dangerous and destructive the “leftists” are these days.

By the way, the FBI page you keep referring to and link, is a very generalized statement of mission. It is not any kind of specific assessment naming any group or movement. It refers to “radicalized extremists” which: “further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.” Without ANY specificity, readers may then feel free to look further at any number of studies and reports - conducted and written by agencies including the FBI to parse out the dominant offending groups ... which are: right-wing extremists / white nationalists.

Last edited by Tulemutt; 11-09-2020 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 09:53 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Here we go again

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-tier/2440553/

Old 11-10-2020, 12:25 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,386,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not Surprising. People have given up on safety protocols . COVID hasn't given up on us.

People are going to hate what's coming next.....brought to you by BIDEN.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Dumpling Inn ( good food btw) has a good point about people not wanting to sit outside in this weather.

I also saw a story that people are starting to freak out and hoard again. The good thing is that the stores are more ready this time. They got blindsided in March.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:10 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The Dumpling Inn ( good food btw) has a good point about people not wanting to sit outside in this weather.

I also saw a story that people are starting to freak out and hoard again. The good thing is that the stores are more ready this time. They got blindsided in March.
It's going to kill a lot of businesses, especially small restaurants that don't have a parking lot to setup. The lil restaurant up in Mt Laguna will fold for sure. They rely on drive by tourists, hikers and campers and no one is going to eat outside in a foot of snow and 26 degree weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego