Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Do understand that San Diego city limits can be very vast. For example, the San Diego Wild Animal Park is close to Escondido and Vista, well to the north of downtown San Diego, but is within San Diego city limits. So is Rancho Bernardo, Mira Mesa, Rancho Penasquitos which all have San Diego, CA addresses to the best of my knowledge.

OTOH, La Jolla is also within city limits but its address is La Jolla, CA rather than San Diego, CA.
Exactly. Kinda hard comparing a town of 115K mostly on/near the coast with a city of 1.4M. If you were to take the dimensions of Carlsbad and place it over the coast from La Jolla to Point Loma and however far inland you’d get a much different home price. Apples to oranges comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:20 PM

14 posts, read 19,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Exactly. Kinda hard comparing a town of 115K mostly on/near the coast with a city of 1.4M. If you were to take the dimensions of Carlsbad and place it over the coast from La Jolla to Point Loma and however far inland you’d get a much different home price. Apples to oranges comparison.
I agree with this. Carlsbad is an extremely small community to compare with San Diego proper. If you just compared Carlsbad to Ocean Beach, that would be a better comparison. Carlsbad is expensive because people choose to pay higher prices for things (houses, food, cars, etc) and it drives the price of everything up. Anywhere on the coast will be expensive. I think what makes Carlsbad more expensive than Ocean Beach is good urban planning and the reputation it has established. Ocean Beach is known as the alternative scene that attracts homeless people, has a funky arts/music scene, and has a surfer vibe. It is close to a college and has a younger crowd. Carlsbad is seen as more sophisticated, rich, and has more space between houses. Although Carlsbad has more people, they're not trying to cram as many people into their community as Ocean Beach. The lot sizes seem a lot smaller in Ocean Beach. Also, Carlsbad has developed an industrial business park to attract more businesses. I haven't seen Ocean Beach stepping into that arena. They focus on the food scene.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,685,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unique234 View Post
I agree with this. Carlsbad is an extremely small community to compare with San Diego proper. If you just compared Carlsbad to Ocean Beach, that would be a better comparison. Carlsbad is expensive because people choose to pay higher prices for things (houses, food, cars, etc) and it drives the price of everything up. Anywhere on the coast will be expensive. I think what makes Carlsbad more expensive than Ocean Beach is good urban planning and the reputation it has established. Ocean Beach is known as the alternative scene that attracts homeless people, has a funky arts/music scene, and has a surfer vibe. It is close to a college and has a younger crowd. Carlsbad is seen as more sophisticated, rich, and has more space between houses. Although Carlsbad has more people, they're not trying to cram as many people into their community as Ocean Beach. The lot sizes seem a lot smaller in Ocean Beach. Also, Carlsbad has developed an industrial business park to attract more businesses. I haven't seen Ocean Beach stepping into that arena. They focus on the food scene.
Houses are def more expensive in Carlsbad than OB, but food? How are you basing this?

And I do not see how cars can be more expensive. There are probably more euro cars (expensive) on the roads in carlsbad than in OB.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:50 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Houses are def more expensive in Carlsbad than OB, but food? How are you basing this?

And I do not see how cars can be more expensive. There are probably more euro cars (expensive) on the roads in carlsbad than in OB.
Yeah OB probably wouldn’t be the strip of San Diego I’d compare when you have La Jolla and Point Loma within it’s city limits, but it does have many great restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego