Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,545,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I don't get the whole Temple of Costco and putting up with lines.

Ever since this situation has started, I've gone to either Vons or Stater Brothers; no lines - just walk in and shop.
I haven't seen toilet paper in my Vons for almost a month now and they've been ransacked when it comes to anything canned or frozen. If I'm going out, I want to at least get the stuff I'm looking for, and other than toilet paper, I can get it at Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 11:48 AM

332 posts, read 629,607 times
Quote:

Ever since this situation has started, I've gone to either Vons or Stater Brothers; no lines - just walk in and shop.
There appears to be a cult that enjoys wasting their time by standing in line with hundreds of others, versus just walking in a grocery store to get in and get out.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:08 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
Quote:

Apparently, Kirkland brand TP is the preferred kind to use, hence it disappearing off the shelves so fast. I don't shop in the expensive grocery stores, and can find whatever I need elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 PM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
There appears to be a cult that enjoys wasting their time by standing in line with hundreds of others,
Yes, I have now tragically seen that since year 2016

Old 04-04-2020, 12:17 PM

4,236 posts, read 2,129,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Apparently, Kirkland brand TP is the preferred kind to use, hence it disappearing off the shelves so fast. I don't shop in the expensive grocery stores, and can find whatever I need elsewhere.
I did the Temple of Costco ritual and the local grocery store - tracked the expenses between the two.

There was no OMG LOOK AT THE SAVINGS!!

Costco was a bit cheaper, sure; but not worth the drive, the time, and the crowds (even before CV19).

My time is money and I don't do lines.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:27 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,237,335 times
Quote:

Before this morning, it took 5 min to get inside from the line. All of a sudden it seems like the hoarders and panic buyers are back. We went this morning and left. The line wrapped around the building and I couldn’t see the end of it. I’m not waiting an hour in line. Maybe because it was a Saturday morning. I’ll just start shopping mid-week instead of the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I haven't seen toilet paper in my Vons for almost a month now and they've been ransacked when it comes to anything canned or frozen. If I'm going out, I want to at least get the stuff I'm looking for, and other than toilet paper, I can get it at Costco.
This is the main reason for Costco now. The stores I’ve been to have very little on the shelves. Sprouts has been the worst. Whole isles bare. At least Costco is stocked.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
Quote:
My time is money and I don't do lines.
Costco is a lot more than a grocery store. You can't buy furniture or tires at a grocery store.

My top 5 reasons for being a Costco junkie:
1. $1.50 for a hot dog and coke. $10 for a decent pizza the size of a trash can lid.
2. Return policy. They take back anything with no restocking charges. Unboxed and no receipt needed. The only question they ask is "Did you use it?"
3. Samples. You can eat a buffet-style lunch in the store for free.
4. Free extended warranties and tech support on electronic items.
5. Friendly employees. Costco employees really care about their customers. I've been invited to promotion parties.
5a. 4% rebate on gasoline / 2% rebate on everything you buy in the store and Costco.com.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Costco is a lot more than a grocery store. You can't buy furniture or tires at a grocery store.

My top 5 reasons for being a Costco junkie:
1. $1.50 for a hot dog and coke. $10 for a decent pizza the size of a trash can lid.
2. Return policy. They take back anything with no restocking charges. Unboxed and no receipt needed. The only question they ask is "Did you use it?"
3. Samples. You can eat a buffet-style lunch in the store for free.
4. Free extended warranties and tech support on electronic items.
5. Friendly employees. Costco employees really care about their customers. I've been invited to promotion parties.
5a. 4% rebate on gasoline / 2% rebate on everything you buy in the store and Costco.com.

All of this doesn't apply anymore.

2. Return policy. They're not taking back TP and water.
3. Samples. No more samples, the company that provided the demonstrators has pulled out of Costco, and all of the demonstrators have been laid off.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
All of this doesn't apply anymore.

2. Return policy. They take back anything with no restocking charges. Unboxed and no receipt needed. The only question they ask is "Did you use it?" They're not taking back TP and water.
3. Samples. You can eat a buffet-style lunch in the store for free. No more samples, the company that provided the demonstrators has pulled out of Costco, and all of the demonstrators have been laid off.
Costco did make a few adjustments for the coronavirus. Why would you want to take back TP and water?

Also, our food court is outdoors and it's closed. So no hot dogs or pizza for awhile.

And some items have quantity limits ie. a member can buy only 5 trays of eggs.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:14 PM

When people realize that they have too much TP and water, they're going to try to return it. Stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego