Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 01:58 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Well fortunately California’s public universities are made up of more than just Chinese nationals and residents of this state. I’m sure plenty of other parents from around this country would gladly pay the out of state tuition if their kid is now able to get into a prestigious UC school that they were unable to get into before vs paying for a private university, or another out of state school.

I understand you’re basically robbing Peter to pay Paul as you won’t be able to replace every student lost throughout the entire US university system, but that’s when schools do what every other business does and make changes, or go out of business.
There are plenty of prestigious universities in other parts of the country as well. And, sure, Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD are going to get students who were shut out before, but kids in Texas aren't going to be rushing to SDSU or Cal State San Marcos. You can't remove 1 million plus international students and not have it affect American universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 02:00 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Domestic terrorism is more of a problem than China?????

You must be joking.
You're correct. Different categories.
China is a looming major power and pretty smart not wasting money on wars and incrementally building up their military prowess.
Domestic terrorism is a problem here. Look at those goons in MI this week.
The Bush Obama war on Islamic terror seems winning so far.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:09 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There are plenty of prestigious universities in other parts of the country as well. And, sure, Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD are going to get students who were shut out before, but kids in Texas aren't going to be rushing to SDSU or Cal State San Marcos. You can't remove 1 million plus international students and not have it affect American universities.
We don't have to remove 1 million plus international students, we just have to remove the vast majority of the Chinese students. Also the ones from other hostile countries.

Kids from all over want to go to SDSU. Cal State LA or Cal State San Marcos, maybe less so, but given a choice between Southwest Missouri State, Eastern Michigan and such schools, CSLA and CSSM look pretty inviting.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:47 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
You're correct. Different categories.
China is a looming major power and pretty smart not wasting money on wars and incrementally building up their military prowess.
Domestic terrorism is a problem here. Look at those goons in MI this week.
The Bush Obama war on Islamic terror seems winning so far.
Ah. Now I understand you.

Those "goons" in MI were patriots exercising their right to free speech and protest.

If you call that "domestic terrorism" then no wonder you keep defending china.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Ah. Now I understand you.

Those "goons" in MI were patriots exercising their right to free speech and protest.

If you call that "domestic terrorism" then no wonder you keep defending china.
The fringe goons were terrorizing the state house.
Love it or Leave it.
They were not social distancing. They do not care about protecting other people - selfish and dumbies.
They were defending Kap's right to kneel, protest, free speech.
I do not defend China. They appear to lie about the pandemic statistics etc. Leader Trump loves Xi and his transparency and likely some personal fiscal relationships (banking and Ivanka's poor quality shoe branding).
Let's win the hearts & minds of the Chinese young people.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
The fringe goons were terrorizing the state house.
Love it or Leave it.
They were not social distancing. They do not care about protecting other people - selfish and dumbies.
They were defending Kap's right to kneel, protest, free speech.
I do not defend China. They appear to lie about the pandemic statistics etc. Leader Trump loves Xi and his transparency and likely some personal fiscal relationships (banking and Ivanka's poor quality shoe branding).
Let's win the hearts & minds of the Chinese young people.
I can't stand Kap and his kneeling, but damn right I support his ability to do so.

That's what this country stands for.

Freedom to speak one's mind, popular or not.

If you think we're going to win the hearts and minds of chinese youth, you're naive.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I can't stand Kap and his kneeling, but damn right I support his ability to do so.

That's what this country stands for.

Freedom to speak one's mind, popular or not.

If you think we're going to win the hearts and minds of chinese youth, you're naive.
Good, agree. Damn right indeed.

I have studied trained with scholars from these pinko nations in the 1990s and 2000s, and many have remained in the US contributing to our way of life.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Good, agree. Damn right indeed.

I have studied trained with scholars from these pinko nations in the 1990s and 2000s, and many have remained in the US contributing to our way of life.
Absolutely. Look at the percentage of doctors and those who work in Silicon Valley who are foreign born.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:34 PM

Both my wife (6th grade teacher) and myself (professor) have gotten cryptic messages that seem to be strongly hinting that education will be on-line again for the fall semester.

At this point, it might be just as much of a financial decision as a health decision - - although it obviously affects so many people when it comes to daycare.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:47 PM

332 posts, read 632,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Both my wife (6th grade teacher) and myself (professor) have gotten cryptic messages that seem to be strongly hinting that education will be on-line again for the fall semester.

At this point, it might be just as much of a financial decision as a health decision - - although it obviously affects so many people when it comes to daycare.
I expect things will get better (or remain the same with more and more people breaking distancing policies) in the next 3 months, so before we get all pissed (which I would be more than words can describe), let's hope people wise up and the fear mongering winds down by then.

I already have been emailing the PUSD superintendent. My next emails will be to the SDCOE superintendent, then state superintendent Thurmond, and finally the governor. Oh...can't forget about the County supervisors, mayor, and Dr. Wilma Wooten.

JUST SAY NO TO ONLINE LEARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego