Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 02:41 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times

Advertisements

I heard meat was getting scarce. So I stocked up.

But they were lying about the chicken. There was absolutely no chicken. Fresh, roasted, frozen... it didn't matter. No chicken. But I scored some TP. Charmin Ultra Soft. Yow-sah. I was 1 roll away from having to use the 1-ply sand-paper in my garage. Thank you God.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I stocked on chicken at El Super today. They had boneless breast of chicken on sale for $1.59lb, so I bought 12lbs to join the 10lbs that I already have in the freezer. After I package it up, I'll se how much room is left in the freezer for more food.

They had just put signs up for the beef and pork saying that you could only buy 8lbs at a time. There was no sign up for chicken yet, though, and they did try to tell me that I could only buy 4lbs, but I pointed the lack of a sign, and that was that until I got to checkout, and the cashier tried the same thing, which didn't work.

I'm sure as soon as I left, they put a sign up, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Costco Run-receipt1.jpg   Another Costco Run-sign1.jpg  

Old 05-09-2020, 12:14 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
There’s plenty of meat out there. I’ve been at several stores that had enough in stock. I’m beginning to wonder if some people who shop at Costco have a hoarder mentality with the huge quantities they sell. Certainly not everyone.

Geez, enough with the hoarding already. If there’s a news story about processing plants for pork rinds closing, will people hoard those too?

Old 05-09-2020, 12:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I think some people shop at Costco, and nowhere else. I shop at Costco too, but don't buy in huge quantities. I've been going once per week, and am just stocking up on cat litter, which I do anyway.

When I go back to work, I'm not going to have much time to go grocery shopping, so I'm doing it now.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I think some people shop at Costco, and nowhere else. I shop at Costco too, but don't buy in huge quantities. I've been going once per week, and am just stocking up on cat litter, which I do anyway.

When I go back to work, I'm not going to have much time to go grocery shopping, so I'm doing it now.
Pre-pandemic, I would go Costco once every month-and-a-half or so. Last there in mid/late-March.
Regularly, I go Trader Joes with supplemental at Ralphs weekly, but now trying to do that every two weeks, which takes a full morning from exiting house to unpacking clean goods to frig/freez/pantry.
Ralphs should go with the one-way aisles.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:48 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Geez, enough with the hoarding already. If there’s a news story about processing plants for pork rinds closing, will people hoard those too?

The skeptic in me wonders if announced shortages are just a marketing ploy from the various industries. Maybe big pork or whoever senses a slump so they crank up the rumor generator that their products are in short supply.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:59 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The skeptic in me wonders if announced shortages are just a marketing ploy from the various industries. Maybe big pork or whoever senses a slump so they crank up the rumor generator that their products are in short supply.
If that’s true, it’s marketing genius and slimy at the same time. It appears to be working. I went to get gas this morning and yet again people were waiting in line to get into Costco at 7:30 am.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,484,811 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remembe...rtage-of-1973/

Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
If that’s true, it’s marketing genius and slimy at the same time. It appears to be working. I went to get gas this morning and yet again people were waiting in line to get into Costco at 7:30 am.
Thanks. I'm buying more shares of Costco stock on Monday morning. I bought more Apple stock when I noticed all of our Asian tourists were using Iphones. That worked out quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego