Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 05:46 PM

21 posts, read 19,547 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to San Diego for family reasons with a limited skillset and varied sales and customer experience. I do not have any debt whatsoever. With that said, I don't make a lot of money right now, just around 40k a year. I am looking to get that same amount or higher in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:48 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Good luck.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:45 PM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
Wow.
I believe the previous poster was being sincere and gracious. Your response is frankly outrageous. And incredibly rude.

$40k? Per quarter maybe.
Annually that's far below the poverty level in SD. You may want to stay put.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:16 PM

21 posts, read 19,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Wow.
I believe the previous poster was being sincere and gracious. Your response is frankly outrageous. And incredibly rude.

$40k? Per quarter maybe.
Annually that's far below the poverty level in SD. You may want to stay put.
so everyone living in san diego makes 160k a year? I don't think so. I am simply looking for blue collar work that provides a living. like I said,no debt

Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
By the time taxes are taken out, $40K won’t do it. I don’t think $160k is needed, but $40k is simply not enough. Google a cost of living calculator.

You should also take time to read the TOS.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:36 PM

I was being realistic, but just make sure and line up a job before you get here, or you may be in for a surprise.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
$40k = $3.35 per month.

I'm going to assume $40k is gross, that you do have a car so you can access all of the city's jobs, and you will have employer provided healthcare that won't require a monthly premium, only co-payments.

$3,350 before taxes = $2,680 after taxes. 20% for taxes might be a bit too high given the lowness of your income, which would help a little bit.

Various automotive costs = $250 per month,
car insurance, gas (live reasonably close to work - avg 1k miles per month), oil changes, registration (hoping it's an old car, but if it is, there go the repair bills)

Food at home = $225/month

Food at work (lunch) = $200/month - but there could be big savings if you can pack your own lunch

Utilities = $50 (Gas & Electric - more if you get A/C happy in the summer)

Medical = $100 (Dentist 2x year, Dr deductible & co-payments occasional drugs of the Rx variety - assumes you're basically healthy.)

Phone = $60? (I have no idea what people are paying for monthly mobile phone service these days. Go landline only?)

Cable = $125 (If you get TV package - If you go internet only you could be at $50)

Entertainment = $50 (restaurant, pizza, club, once a month, twice if it's pizza)

Clothes = $50 (including shoes, towels and linens)

Misc = $50 (shampoo, TP, etc)

$1160/month

Rent:
Old apartment in marginal area = $1200
Old apartment in somewhat better area = $1500
Nicer more modern Apartment = $1800
It goes up from there, but those aren't in the cards.

My thought is yes you could live in San Diego. It would be a circumscribed existence.
Almost never going out.
Always having to worry about that big car repair bill, or medical bill.
Always buying secondhand furniture.

If you found a roommate, it would be easier.
If you lived WITH family, it would be much easier.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstwin View Post
I am relocating to San Diego for family reasons with a limited skillset and varied sales and customer experience. I do not have any debt whatsoever. With that said, I don't make a lot of money right now, just around 40k a year. I am looking to get that same amount or higher in San Diego.
You do realize that people have lost their jobs, don't you? Some people have not only lost their jobs, but also lost their housing due to COVID-19, and it's not exactly a good time to make a move.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:56 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
How do you know you'll get a job for $40k here? Right now good jobs are very scarce.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:51 AM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
If you are alone (no companion or kids), you plan on having a roommate or live with family so you can share expenses and you mention that you have no outstanding debt.

It wouldn't be ideal but it is possible.

1. Find work. Don't expect wages to be any higher than where you are coming from some areas they are higher others you are looking at the national average here.

2. Live close to work to minimize car related expenses.

3. You may find that you need a second job so you have to be willing to work a little extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego