Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 01:10 AM

78 posts, read 63,739 times

Advertisements

What are the demographics of normal heights in comparison to surrounding areas like North Park, Kensington, University Heights ..etc I need to live somewhere close to downtown and I know each area has it’s own vibe.
I need to live close to downtown and am still trying to figure out the different characters of each area. I ask about normal heights because a few friends recommended it as well as North Park, Little Italy, Bankers Hill I found a place in Normal Heights .. right in the heart .. fits my budget and has parking. I’m close to taking it but am thinking about safety and just wondering who lives there in comparison to other areas mentioned. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:30 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locali View Post
What are the demographics of normal heights in comparison to surrounding areas like North Park, Kensington, University Heights ..etc I need to live somewhere close to downtown and I know each area has it’s own vibe.
I need to live close to downtown and am still trying to figure out the different characters of each area. I ask about normal heights because a few friends recommended it as well as North Park, Little Italy, Bankers Hill I found a place in Normal Heights .. right in the heart .. fits my budget and has parking. I’m close to taking it but am thinking about safety and just wondering who lives there in comparison to other areas mentioned. Thank you
It’s called Abnormal Heights for a reason. Just kidding, it’s fine. I had a girlfriend that lived right in the heart of it off Adams Ave years ago and my wife lived in University Heights years later and it was basically all the same. The fact you have parking so you don’t have to walk alone at night is huge. That was the only thing they didn’t like living in that area, but I guess that probably goes for most areas with females alone at night? If you found a place in the heart of it with parking and within your budget I’d go for it. There’s a couple of fun bars and several restaurants all within close proximity to each other so driving isn’t an issue. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
North Park, Little Italy, Bankers Hill I found a place in Normal Heights .. right in the heart ..
Anecdotally, I would say Normal Heights is more diverse in income status than these other areas mentioned. Gentrification meets lower income, but alot less gritty than City Heights. Seems like perfectly find place to live.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Anecdotally, I would say Normal Heights is more diverse in income status than these other areas mentioned. Gentrification meets lower income, but alot less gritty than City Heights. Seems like perfectly find place to live.
This is absolutely true, especially in regards Bankers Hill and Little Italy. Those two are in a different league than North Park and Normal Heights. There’s still plenty of $1M+ homes in both areas though. Especially the north end of Normal Heights overlooking Mission Valley. You are correct that it’ll be a lot less gritty than City Heights. There’s a few pockets here and there that are “fine”, but it still has a long way to go. I was just there this weekend buying some fruit trees from a couple that runs a nursery out of their house and remembered how “gritty” it is there despite the fancy flipped houses you see on the market.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:44 PM

Hi, thanks for your responses. I still can’t figure this area out. I get a lot of conflicting comments from people who have lived there. This thread is echoing those comments. It should be fine, but it’s still gritty and I’d be concerned about walking alone at night?

. I’m moving from Marin County and feel extremely safe here. I’m moving though because it is expensive and I’d like to buy in a year or two. I can do that in San Diego.

In the meantime, I want to be somewhere safe but with good restaurants, bookstores, yoga, some action going on. Bankers Hill and Little Italy are just above my budget unless I’m ok living in a tiny studio with no parking.

North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights all have options (with parking) that are within my budget. I’m choosing currently between two different one bed apartments (both with parking) in north park and a very nice two bed with parking in Normal Heights.

I like the idea of an extra room for guests or office. However, if it is “grittier” than North Park, then I’ll take the smaller apartment for safety concerns. I don’t want to live somewhere I’d be afraid to walk at night. I’ve lived in London (never was afraid to walk alone at night) SF (no fear at night) so hearing concerns about that confuses me. I thought San Diego was pretty safe? I’m also concerned about break ins.

I have to stay near downtown, for commute purposes, but would you advise looking in other surrounding areas?

Thanks,

Old 05-21-2020, 05:55 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
I think you would be fine in Normal Heights, and it sounds like what you are looking for. The areas south of Adams tend to be denser, and more noisy. North of Adams is quieter and more residential. Adams Ave is the main business district with restaurants, book stores etc. I actually saw Will Ferrell at a pub there!

Stay away from the first 1 or 2 blocks around El Cajon blvd. To put it in Marin County terms, the blocks close to El Cajon Blvd would be similar to the Canal Area in San Rafael. Not really dangerous though and San Diego is a very safe city much less crime than either SF or London.

You would be fine anywhere in University Heights and pretty much anywhere in North Park as long as you stay west of the 805 freeway and try not to live within the first few blocks of El Cajon Blvd or University Ave.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for your responses. I still can’t figure this area out. I get a lot of conflicting comments from people who have lived there. This thread is echoing those comments. It should be fine, but it’s still gritty and I’d be concerned about walking alone at night?

. I’m moving from Marin County and feel extremely safe here. I’m moving though because it is expensive and I’d like to buy in a year or two. I can do that in San Diego.

In the meantime, I want to be somewhere safe but with good restaurants, bookstores, yoga, some action going on. Bankers Hill and Little Italy are just above my budget unless I’m ok living in a tiny studio with no parking.

North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights all have options (with parking) that are within my budget. I’m choosing currently between two different one bed apartments (both with parking) in north park and a very nice two bed with parking in Normal Heights.

I like the idea of an extra room for guests or office. However, if it is “grittier” than North Park, then I’ll take the smaller apartment for safety concerns. I don’t want to live somewhere I’d be afraid to walk at night. I’ve lived in London (never was afraid to walk alone at night) SF (no fear at night) so hearing concerns about that confuses me. I thought San Diego was pretty safe? I’m also concerned about break ins.

I have to stay near downtown, for commute purposes, but would you advise looking in other surrounding areas?

Thanks,
I’d rather have a 2B in Normal Heights over a 1B in North Park any day of the week. From a safety/gritty standpoint there isn’t much difference in the two.

If you lived in both London and San Francisco and felt safe walking at night you’ll be more than fine in those neighborhoods. The only break ins you need to worry about is your car and if you’re dumb enough to leave something of value in plain sight, or unlocked.

You can think outside the box and look around downtown La Mesa. It has a nice downtown with some cool bars, good restaurants, along with your bookstores and yoga studios. You’ll have a longer commute to downtown San Diego, but there is a trolley stop right there that will take maybe 25-35 minutes depending on what stop you’re getting off at.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 PM

Ok, thanks. that’s really helpful. Doing this from a distance is kind of hard so I’m relying on virtual tours and word of mouth.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I think you would be fine in Normal Heights, and it sounds like what you are looking for. The areas south of Adams tend to be denser, and more noisy. North of Adams is quieter and more residential. Adams Ave is the main business district with restaurants, book stores etc. I actually saw Will Ferrell at a pub there!

Stay away from the first 1 or 2 blocks around El Cajon blvd. To put it in Marin County terms, the blocks close to El Cajon Blvd would be similar to the Canal Area in San Rafael. Not really dangerous though and San Diego is a very safe city much less crime than either SF or London.

You would be fine anywhere in University Heights and pretty much anywhere in North Park as long as you stay west of the 805 freeway and try not to live within the first few blocks of El Cajon Blvd or University Ave.

Good luck.
I missed this earlier! Thank you! The Canal Area of San Rafael comparison is very helpful. thanks! !

Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Its basically gonna be a crapshoot if you're doing this all online. I am a landlord and have a rental in North Park. It is not vacant so I'm not trying to sell you anything. I grew up in the area so I am familiar with it. There are streets and subsections that are not so great. There are people that list it as North Park but damn well know it is City Heights. Just cuz it says one block of University Ave doesn't mean anything. There are people that list things as South Park and they know its North Park...then there are people like me that doubt the very existence of "South Park"...but I digress.

If you can line up a visit to the area that would be wise, if you can't, maybe you could give us the street or intersection area that you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego