Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 11:27 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,481,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
I started applying to electrical jobs up in Seattle yesterday for apprentices and already had two calls just hours later from shops that basically offered me a job on the spot because they where looking to hire me immediately.
Good news! Seattle seems to have a lot of opportunities these days. I have two friends who made their way up that way--one a year and a half ago and one this month. One came from LA and the other the Bay Area, both of which have good job markets compared to SD. So if they are liking it, I bet you'll love it! Just brace yourself for all that rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,541,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I mean to be fair to them, no company, Bozo or otherwise would agree to it.
I tried to 'rep' you but I couldn't. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:25 AM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
Just an update.

I started applying to electrical jobs up in Seattle yesterday for apprentices and already had two calls just hours later from shops that basically offered me a job on the spot because they where looking to hire me immediately.

What a completely different experience than trying to find apprentice work here in San Diego. I looked for months before covid hit and hit the pavement hard and barely got a job for a company that tanked because of covid. I only got the one I lost because I had concrete experience and there was a civil crew as well but the electrical crew let me work with them a lot too.

Literally just by the skin of my ass. It’s ****ing brutal out here. Job market of **** and prosperity.
Congrats, OP! Do you know if the pay they're offering is enough to cover rent? Check Craigslist to see how much studios are going for in diff. parts of town, and house shares (renting a room). I vaguely recall, there was someone on the Seattle forum fairly recently in a situation somewhat similar to yours, who said he couldn't find anything to rent at his income level (whatever it was, I don't recall). Do your homework before you commit. Rents are cheaper in the north end of town, around a district called Northgate, btw. Also--the south end, Columbia City neighborhood. And West Seattle.

It's nice, though, to be in demand, no? I hope it works out for you.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 AM

243 posts, read 227,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Congrats, OP! Do you know if the pay they're offering is enough to cover rent? Check Craigslist to see how much studios are going for in diff. parts of town, and house shares (renting a room). I vaguely recall, there was someone on the Seattle forum fairly recently in a situation somewhat similar to yours, who said he couldn't find anything to rent at his income level (whatever it was, I don't recall). Do your homework before you commit. Rents are cheaper in the north end of town, around a district called Northgate, btw. Also--the south end, Columbia City neighborhood. And West Seattle.

It's nice, though, to be in demand, no? I hope it works out for you.
We already discussed pay and since he needs people so bad he’s and immediately he’s offering 23$/hr for 1st year apprientices.

With the no income tax that leaves about 1.0-1.3k for a hole in the wall studio if I want to save a few hundred every month. My truck is extremely reliable and older (2000 Ford) so no payment or worry there tbh.

Seattle also has those cute micro studios with the bed area above the bathroom but despite their cheaper price I doubt there’s parking included in the unit because it’s always in trendy areas. That’s an extra 300$-400$ a month.

I’m more worried about credit. I can’t even convince a landlord to let me rent a bedroom in a shared house or apartment here in SD because the only credit history I have is a year of a secured credit card.

No family support system so a co-signer is out of the question. Score flucates slightly from 680-700 depending on utilization. The references I have are useless without passing the score and history test.

It’s pretty brutal out here. How much credit history do you expect a 22 yr old to have ?

The only places I’ve rented have been sublet rooms and those obviously don’t show up on my report.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:23 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
We already discussed pay and since he needs people so bad he’s and immediately he’s offering 23$/hr for 1st year apprientices.

With the no income tax that leaves about 1.0-1.3k for a hole in the wall studio if I want to save a few hundred every month. My truck is extremely reliable and older (2000 Ford) so no payment or worry there tbh.

Seattle also has those cute micro studios with the bed area above the bathroom but despite their cheaper price I doubt there’s parking included in the unit because it’s always in trendy areas. That’s an extra 300$-400$ a month.

I’m more worried about credit. I can’t even convince a landlord to let me rent a bedroom in a shared house or apartment here in SD because the only credit history I have is a year of a secured credit card.

No family support system so a co-signer is out of the question. Score flucates slightly from 680-700 depending on utilization. The references I have are useless without passing the score and history test.

It’s pretty brutal out here. How much credit history do you expect a 22 yr old to have ?

The only places I’ve rented have been sublet rooms and those obviously don’t show up on my report.
You might have to rent a room at first, while you build up a credit history. That will allow you to save more $$. Yeah, expecting a 22-yr-old to have more than a year's credit history doesn't make too much sense, although these days, college students do have credit cards, often co-signed by their parents specifically so the student can build a credit history. I don't think Seattle is as tough as SD in that regard, but I can't say for sure.

You can ask all your relocation-related questions on the Seattle forum. People will warn you about parking your truck on the street, but it really depends on the neighborhood. I would look at mother-in-law apartments in quiet nabes, and studios in buildings that offer parking.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:32 PM

15,115 posts, read 32,186,155 times
Quote:
You might have to rent a room at first, while you build up a credit history. That will allow you to save more $$. Yeah, expecting a 22-yr-old to have more than a year's credit history doesn't make too much sense, although these days, college students do have credit cards, often co-signed by their parents specifically so the student can build a credit history. I don't think Seattle is as tough as SD in that regard, but I can't say for sure.

You can ask all your relocation-related questions on the Seattle forum. People will warn you about parking your truck on the street, but it really depends on the neighborhood. I would look at mother-in-law apartments in quiet nabes, and studios in buildings that offer parking.

All of the above is a good idea.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:37 PM

243 posts, read 227,037 times
Quote:

I’ll have to find another way if that’s the case. I’ll never have roommates again or put myself at the mercy of someone else. All but one of my roommate situations have turned out bad.

People either want a best friend for a roommate and take my antisocial behavior as rudeness or the people end up not liking me and wanting me out. Last one was kinda crazy and I thought I knew him because I knew him when I worked scaffolding. Violent paranoid felon who’s a drunk.

The first one was the 2nd worst. Told me not to worry about the deposit then changed his mind to get me out.

I got paid the day after he asked for it but he was passive aggressive and didn’t like the fact I came home dirty even though I’d clean up after myself. Also made it pretty clear he didn’t approve of the fact I daily drove a pickup. He was gay and pretty liberal though.

Having roommates is one the stupidest things you could do because you never know the person and the landlord will side with the tenants that have been there longer so there’s no real recourse. Not that I’ve ever been on a real lease.

Worse case I’ll figure something else out and build more credit.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:27 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,404,280 times
The credit catch22 has always been a thing for young people. When I was starting out, oil companies still offered their proprietary credit cards so I applied for every single one of them and just paid the balance every month. Those were easy to get and since I was going to buy gas anyway, it didn't change anything in my month to month finances. That was the biggest boost to my non-existent credit record. Of course, those don't exist any more but I'm sure there's similar avenues. I also took a car loan from one of those shady, usury-limit-type finance companies and simply paid it off within a few months. That helped too. Renting became a lot easier after that. Just a few blips on a credit report can get the ball rolling.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:31 PM

47 posts, read 30,894 times
680 is not bad credit score.
Anything below 670 would be subprime, but 670+ is prime credit. Anything over 730 is super prime.

I had no problem renting apartments when I was younger and my score was in that range.

If your credit is that low from not being established that is all the better, what landlords do not want are irresponsible deadbeats who are late on bills and miss payments. If you have that on your history and a low score due to that then you have a problem, if your just not established you should not have an issue.

If you sit down in most leasing offices and say look I have a good job, and I have no history of evictions, and i pay my bills on time they will work with you.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,541,211 times
dg628... you are getting some really good advice. A good FICO score can make or break you these days. I just bought a new (to me) car at a dealer. I wrote them a personal check and drove off with the car. I'm still a geek and EVs are loaded with technology. At one point in my life, I spoke computer. My few friends called me ESL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego