Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:19 PM

243 posts, read 228,510 times

Advertisements

I feel the time has come to leave while I’m ahead as far as finances go and to get a job elsewhere before that federal aid runs out and people start taking any job they can get.

When I moved out here I was doing scaffolding so when I got here I stuck with what i knew just to get by and because I knew I could get a job.

On my part I took too long to try and get into electrical but it was a new expensive city and I didn’t know anyone.

As time went on and after a bad shoulder injury finally healed I started looking into electrical and ran into several problems I didn’t account for.

San Diego’s union is very hard to get into but also is a very up and down union. Work is very unsteady unlike other west Coast locals. The IBEW has a website for travelers stating how many guys are out of work “on the books” and the current journeyman pay along with work outlook.

San Diego literally has the 2nd most amount of guys out of work in the U.S. in the IBEW

Right now is supposedly an Up time too. Anyway it’s hard getting in green so just start off non union right ? Wait...

Here’s how it goes on the non union side. Most Shops in San Diego hire what’s called an ET ( electrical trainee) which is just a cheap independent apprentice. The problem though is getting your ET card. CA makes it hard to get it and maintain it. To get it you have to be enrolled and attending in a state cert class and do a certain amount of work and schooling every year to keep.

So there in lies the catch. You have to wait for the next available class and yes that’s including online. When I looked back in March the soonest one was end of sept. Also CA takes their sweet time mailing your card without a temporary one. 8-12 weeks.

Same goes for the non union contractors like ABC and WECA , really hard to get in the apprenticeship even though the pay is bad and if you get accepted the wait time is about 2 years.

CA is literally the only state with licensing like that for the ET card , the other states just require Registering with the DOL and a small amount of class room hours every year to keep it after that.

The whole point is to track all the hours you accumulate in the state really. Not to make it hard for people trying to get started in the trade. You won’t be exploited and making nowhere near 13/$hr as a ET in other high COL states either.

the take away

is there are no skilled jobs available in San Diego and if you already have one expect the same salary at best. I used the skilled trades as a good example because there really is a big shortage in the US.... just everywhere but SoCal with the exception of LA maybe.

Also you really need good established credit to rent anything in San Diego if you want on a lease so you have atleast some legal recourse and trust me if you’re like 90% of the people here you’ll have no choice but to have roommates. I’m talking 750 with credit history and previous rental references. Real landlords , they check. Trust me.

I don’t have bad credit and I could never find anything. I just gave up looking. I’m used to an alternative lifestyle though.

I honestly don’t know how kids my age do it out here (18-23) and most work crap retail jobs. It has to be their parents or slinging illegal substances on the side.

If you’re young like me (22) one more thing to really consider is long term commitment. If you find a way to establish yourself here once you start making any sort of real money the state takes it. If you make 300k you have plenty to spare even though they’ll take half of it.

Different story if you’re upper middle class. You go from making good money to borderline lower class after taxes by national standards. Well below the poverty line by CA lol.

I will miss San Diego despite the 15 months I’ve spent here, about 70% have been me living out of my truck.

Love the pacific coast , the deep blue colored water and tide, the weather , sunsets , cliffs , just the right amount of nightlife and amenities, hook up culture , etc. Not a fan of the desert topography though. I’ll like the PNW a lot more in that regard.

I have to go though if I ever want a real career and my own place. Getting tired of couch surfing and living out my pickup. Will never have roommates ever again after what I’ve experienced.

After my union interview on the 23rd I’m leaving SD that night. Not holding my breathe but by some miracle I’m accepted it’ll be a year or two until I get the call to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 02:40 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
^ I am sorry things did not work out for you in SD. It is definitely a place to be with money already in place before you get here. I am worried that in another few years I might be in the same position as you. Meanwhile I plan on moving to a cheaper area once the Covid thing is under control.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:46 PM

301 posts, read 164,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
I feel the time has come to leave while I’m ahead as far as finances go and to get a job elsewhere before that federal aid runs out and people start taking any job they can get.

When I moved out here I was doing scaffolding so when I got here I stuck with what i knew just to get by and because I knew I could get a job.

On my part I took too long to try and get into electrical but it was a new expensive city and I didn’t know anyone.

As time went on and after a bad shoulder injury finally healed I started looking into electrical and ran into several problems I didn’t account for.

San Diego’s union is very hard to get into but also is a very up and down union. Work is very unsteady unlike other west Coast locals. The IBEW has a website for travelers stating how many guys are out of work “on the books” and the current journeyman pay along with work outlook.

San Diego literally has the 2nd most amount of guys out of work in the U.S. in the IBEW

Right now is supposedly an Up time too. Anyway it’s hard getting in green so just start off non union right ? Wait...

Here’s how it goes on the non union side. Most Shops in San Diego hire what’s called an ET ( electrical trainee) which is just a cheap independent apprentice. The problem though is getting your ET card. CA makes it hard to get it and maintain it. To get it you have to be enrolled and attending in a state cert class and do a certain amount of work and schooling every year to keep.

So there in lies the catch. You have to wait for the next available class and yes that’s including online. When I looked back in March the soonest one was end of sept. Also CA takes their sweet time mailing your card without a temporary one. 8-12 weeks.

Same goes for the non union contractors like ABC and WECA , really hard to get in the apprenticeship even though the pay is bad and if you get accepted the wait time is about 2 years.

CA is literally the only state with licensing like that for the ET card , the other states just require Registering with the DOL and a small amount of class room hours every year to keep it after that.

The whole point is to track all the hours you accumulate in the state really. Not to make it hard for people trying to get started in the trade. You won’t be exploited and making nowhere near 13/$hr as a ET in other high COL states either.

the take away

is there are no skilled jobs available in San Diego and if you already have one expect the same salary at best. I used the skilled trades as a good example because there really is a big shortage in the US.... just everywhere but SoCal with the exception of LA maybe.

Also you really need good established credit to rent anything in San Diego if you want on a lease so you have atleast some legal recourse and trust me if you’re like 90% of the people here you’ll have no choice but to have roommates. I’m talking 750 with credit history and previous rental references. Real landlords , they check. Trust me.

I don’t have bad credit and I could never find anything. I just gave up looking. I’m used to an alternative lifestyle though.

I honestly don’t know how kids my age do it out here (18-23) and most work crap retail jobs. It has to be their parents or slinging illegal substances on the side.

If you’re young like me (22) one more thing to really consider is long term commitment. If you find a way to establish yourself here once you start making any sort of real money the state takes it. If you make 300k you have plenty to spare even though they’ll take half of it.

Different story if you’re upper middle class. You go from making good money to borderline lower class after taxes by national standards. Well below the poverty line by CA lol.

I will miss San Diego despite the 15 months I’ve spent here, about 70% have been me living out of my truck.

Love the pacific coast , the deep blue colored water and tide, the weather , sunsets , cliffs , just the right amount of nightlife and amenities, hook up culture , etc. Not a fan of the desert topography though. I’ll like the PNW a lot more in that regard.

I have to go though if I ever want a real career and my own place. Getting tired of couch surfing and living out my pickup. Will never have roommates ever again after what I’ve experienced.

After my union interview on the 23rd I’m leaving SD that night. Not holding my breathe but by some miracle I’m accepted it’ll be a year or two until I get the call to start.
Have you tried SDGE for work? What about MTS? I used to work for MTS Rail for 19 years. I was in the IBEW local 465. Electromechanics were starting at 24/hr back then I am sure they top out around 50/hr today.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
Have you tried SDGE for work? What about MTS? I used to work for MTS Rail for 19 years. I was in the IBEW local 465. Electromechanics were starting at 24/hr back then I am sure they top out around 50/hr today.
I applied to the lineman/transmission tech apprenticeship for MTS but never heard anything back after I submitted my driving record back in feb.

I haven’t seen anything entry level on SDG&E but then again I’m pretty sure you have to go through the hall.

To get a apprenticeship for the lineman’s local I’m pretty sure you have to have atleast 1 year of experience as a groundman nowadays.

It’s honestly a scary job though and idk if I’m cut out working on towers and propelling off a chopper to fix distribution lines.

They make 60$/hr though. It’s a good living even here.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Good luck in the PNW. Once you get out of the Cali bubble you’ll see how much easier life is. I moved to Arizona 6 weeks ago and I already feel freer

My bro in law is a journey man of many years and he complains all the time about the red tape and inspections he has to go through in Ca.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:42 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
ATT, Cox, Sprectrum are all backlogged with installs so they are going to be hiring. All of them.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
ATT, Cox, Sprectrum are all backlogged with installs so they are going to be hiring. All of them.
Are you comparing a cable company installer to a electrician ? They are nowhere near the same thing.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
Are you comparing a cable company installer to a electrician ? They are nowhere near the same thing.

Do you realize fiber techs are very much compliant with electrical code? Home life, ring etc require the same thing. Some of these guys make well over 100 grand. Whatever, enjoy your move. You apparently think this 100 grand job is below you. Companies spend a lot of money training these folks. You seem to have a very narrow focus with no wiggle room. Not all good paying labor jobs are unions but you do you..

Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you realize fiber techs are very much compliant with electrical code? Home life, ring etc require the same thing. Some of these guys make well over 100 grand. Whatever, enjoy your move. You apparently think this 100 grand job is below you. Companies spend a lot of money training these folks. You seem to have a very narrow focus with no wiggle room. Not all good paying labor jobs are unions but you do you..
This guy made bank as the Cable Guy. He's worth an estimated $100M. And he has no stinkin' college degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBweFDTkF4

Old 06-16-2020, 01:57 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
sorry Sandy Eggo didnt work out for you. I cherish my memories of my 7 years there, but I was young and lived a simple/poor lifestyle. I *could have* stuck it out and made it, but greener pastures beckoned.

I didn't get the kind of job that I could buy a house and build a family on, until I was about 30. George Orwell has a quip about this, and I believe it to this day.

You claim to be young enough to easily move and maybe your fortune is somewhere else - PNW, Alaska, Arizona, Texas, DC - who can say until you try. Maybe you'll end up in Canada or China, if Place is not that important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego