Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 AM

102 posts, read 187,877 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Has anyone here moved from the DC area to San Diego? I've been basically in a 20 mi radius my whole life in and around DC Proper. I've always been curious about the west coast. I've visited but never lived. I have SAD (winter and summer) and the sun and water has always been appealing to me. I have my own biz which would mean a new-ish start and needing to find clients in a new area, but I think it's doable. Living expenses seem to be similar (current mortgage is 2400K on a 2 BR condo incl condo fees). San Diego does seem a bit higher. I would rent my place out here in case I hated it and could always come back. This area will always be "home" but I'm almost 40 and feel like I want to experience living in other places. Would love some suggestions. I plan to go for a visit (I've only been as far south as long beach), and check it out for a week or 2, but gotta wait till things are a little better re: covid. I don't really know how soon I would be moving, could be 6 mo, a year, 2?? Just doing research right now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 09:18 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
I've never lived in DC but worked there on a long-term consulting project, so am familiar with the environment. I used to live in SD, both to attend UCSD and as a young professional (before relocating to the Bay Area). I also knew people in SD who moved there from DC (most eventually moved back to the East Coast).

I think if you're looking for a laid back lifestyle where you have a lot of young people to party with, you'll enjoy SD. If you also want to do a ton of outdoor activities, SD is great. You move there primarily for that lifestyle and can find like minded folks in places like PB, although that tends to skew young.

If you're more into a professional, career oriented scene, you probably will get bored in SD. Once I got out of the UCSD bubble, I found that the overall environment in SD was not very intellectual or career oriented. Young people were more into surfing and partying vs going for a career oriented job. I started to feel old there when I was in my mid-20s. I cannot imagine being single there when I'm in my 40s (which I am now). There are lots of communities in the north and east county which are very family oriented with good schools/communities. But, they seem exactly that, for families, not singles.

I eventually wanted to be in a more cosmopolitan place and moved up to San Francisco. So, depending upon your interests, you may encounter a similar situation.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:26 AM

102 posts, read 187,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I've never lived in DC but worked there on a long-term consulting project, so am familiar with the environment. I used to live in SD, both to attend UCSD and as a young professional (before relocating to the Bay Area). I also knew people in SD who moved there from DC (most eventually moved back to the East Coast).

I think if you're looking for a laid back lifestyle where you have a lot of young people to party with, you'll enjoy SD. If you also want to do a ton of outdoor activities, SD is great. You move there primarily for that lifestyle and can find like minded folks in places like PB, although that tends to skew young.

If you're more into a professional, career oriented scene, you probably will get bored in SD. Once I got out of the UCSD bubble, I found that the overall environment in SD was not very intellectual or career oriented. Young people were more into surfing and partying vs going for a career oriented job. I started to feel old there when I was in my mid-20s. I cannot imagine being single there when I'm in my 40s (which I am now). There are lots of communities in the north and east county which are very family oriented with good schools/communities. But, they seem exactly that, for families, not singles.

I eventually wanted to be in a more cosmopolitan place and moved up to San Francisco. So, depending upon your interests, you may encounter a similar situation.

Interesting, this is helpful thanks. I am not a partier by any means, and am very career oriented. But my career, passion is photography so not a typical government/corporate type career. I work with a lot of interior designers and architects, so I guess creative types are more my speed. Interesting also about young people, because I would hate to feel old wherever I go. hah! I'll have to check out a few different areas when I'm there. I don't have to be on the beach, but somewhere that has a good coffee shop, vegan restaurant, grocery store, and some kind of "main st strip" where people can sit out side and eat and people watch, and I'm set.

I do love san francisco too, just don't think I could ever afford it. Also, I'm a little more "suburban" in nature now than I used to be. Perhaps the SF suburbs could be a place to research too.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2020, 09:28 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcgirl View Post
Interesting, this is helpful thanks. I am not a partier by any means, and am very career oriented. But my career, passion is photography so not a typical government/corporate type career. I work with a lot of interior designers and architects, so I guess creative types are more my speed. Interesting also about young people, because I would hate to feel old wherever I go. hah! I'll have to check out a few different areas when I'm there. I don't have to be on the beach, but somewhere that has a good coffee shop, vegan restaurant, grocery store, and some kind of "main st strip" where people can sit out side and eat and people watch, and I'm set.

I do love san francisco too, just don't think I could ever afford it. Also, I'm a little more "suburban" in nature now than I used to be. Perhaps the SF suburbs could be a place to research too.

Thanks again!
I'm sure you can find your niche. SD county has over 3 million residents. It just felt too slow paced and not intellectual enough for me once I was no longer in college. Interestingly enough, I'm in a suburban area now to raise a family, but have access to a more robust job market and can go into SF anytime when I need that urban fix.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM

38 posts, read 33,410 times
i moved from rockville to SD a couple of years ago.

the culture of san diego seems to be dominated by the navy & marine corps bases. there is a fairly strong mexican community in south county, but not much elsewhere. there is a small asian community along convoy street, which won't feel much different from dc's china block, but there is very little else.

public transportation is extremely limited. the cities are built into canyons so a reliable cell phone signal is a unicorn.

the city's cultural center is balboa park, and a good place to "people watch." the zoo is generally better but you do have to pay to go in.

since you mentioned SAD, you should know that SD is frequently cloudy, especially near the coast with the marine layer. and speaking of climate, there are no native trees, so if you go outside of developed areas, expect only low brush and bushes. when i first moved to maryland from california, it took me a long time to get used to all of the trees, so i imagine something similar could happen to someone moving here.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:15 AM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
If you can't find trees in San Diego County, you ain't lookin' very hard.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
There are lots of areas that fit your bill of "a good coffee shop, vegan restaurant, grocery store, and some kind of 'main st strip' where people can sit out side and eat and people watch".

Within the metro center of San Diego, these are Little Italy, Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, and Kensington. Along the oceanfront, many of the communities up and down the coast have this: Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar, Leucadia (a part of Encinitas), and others further up that I'm not so well versed in.

Some of these areas skew younger with a surfer, slacker vibe, but others skew older and more professional, and are where you would feel very comfortable. Personally, I find the beach areas to be a bit too chaotic for my tastes, but you might enjoy them.

On the beach side, I would suggest La Jolla, Del Mar, and Leucadia. For inland communities, look at Kensington, University Heights, and Little Italy, and perhaps South Park or Normal Heights.

Some random things you will notice if you move to SD are that you no longer have to dress to impress. It's summer casual most of the year, and most places you go.

You will have to wrap your mind around summers being brown rather than green, and late winters being green rather than brown.

Overall, much less pollen.

You will miss having thunderstorms.

You will miss the architecture of DC's older row house neighborhoods.

My biggest concern is could you find a new client base here in San Diego. I'm not exactly sure what you do, but yes, San Diego has moneyed people who spend their money. However, are there enough of these people to support whatever it is you are doing for a living?

These observations are based on having lived in the DC area for about 2 years, a long time ago.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If you can't find trees in San Diego County, you ain't lookin' very hard.
Every single canyon has an oak grove, a native tree.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:45 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Carlsbad or Encinitas are your best bets.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:22 PM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
You mention a $240K mortgage in DC (I'm assuming you didn't actually mean 2.4M which is a VERY different realm!) but not what your equity is -- what would your budget be in SD? I imagine you're thinking of renting first and then buying if you like it?

I suggest plugging in appropriate parameters on Redfin and seeing what shows up. If you're thinking of buying something at $400K, you are unlikely to be near the coast. I don't know what condo fees typically look like in DC, but be aware that many condos, especially those "cheaper" ones (say under $500K) often carry $350-$500+/mo fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego