Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:13 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Agreed. My uncle is a GC in this state and never once while working with him all those summers during HS and college did we bring in an electrician. This includes reconfiguring office space in a government building in Sacramento.
Pretty sure my office has zero electricians directly employed and they do 99% of all electrical work and rewires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Even municipalities with in-house people to do work that typically is *supposed* to be qualified like electrical, won't bother. In my former business, it wasn't uncommon to have to hardwire equipment or bring a small subpanel to it. The guys in one department wouldn't want to wait on their own people to get that done so they'd request it from me. I never billed stuff like that though. It was just a courtesy extended so as not to get in trouble with cslb.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Sounds like the OP picked the wrong trade.
Marine mechanic would have been much smarter. Especially if he wants to stay in SD.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post

At least in the private sector unless they own their own business.
Public sector is different though.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:24 PM

243 posts, read 228,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Marine mechanic would have been much smarter. Especially if he wants to stay in SD.
Marine mechanics make a lot less. San Diego just isn’t a good place for even the top tier trades like electrical unless you get lucky.

Lol @ thinking I’m talking about just changing outlets. I said commercial and industrial guys ? Handymen can’t do that type of work. That actually takes some skill. The grunt work is still pretty straightforward though like cutting and bending pipe. A lot of GCs try to cut as much costs down here I see in every way they can.

No I didn’t choose the wrong trade. Go north of California or to the Midwest like Chicago or saint louis and electricians either make 6 figures or easily do with OT both non union and union.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post

No I didn’t choose the wrong trade. Go north of California or to the Midwest like Chicago or saint louis and electricians either make 6 figures or easily do with OT both non union and union.
Sure.

Are you willing to move?

Old 09-08-2020, 10:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
This. It's just an extension of the old business adage 'where there's mystery, there's margin'. It takes very little expertise do 99% of this grunt work (no mystery) so unless you find some related niche, the pool of competition is immense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Agreed. My uncle is a GC in this state and never once while working with him all those summers during HS and college did we bring in an electrician. This includes reconfiguring office space in a government building in Sacramento.
A lot of the business generated for "skilled trades" is through Govt mandates. The local municipality demands anyone doing some kind of work has to get an "expert" to at least watch over them, and sign off. Their expertise however really is just about knowing the codes, and regulations that must be followed which also is mandated by govt.

Quote:
Marine mechanics make a lot less. San Diego just isn’t a good place for even the top tier trades like electrical unless you get lucky.

Lol @ thinking I’m talking about just changing outlets. I said commercial and industrial guys ? Handymen can’t do that type of work. That actually takes some skill. The grunt work is still pretty straightforward though like cutting and bending pipe. A lot of GCs try to cut as much costs down here I see in every way they can.

What kind of commercial are we talking about though? If we are talking brick and mortar, is not much different than residential. It is just outlets, and light fixtures. Amusement parks, theatres, or movie sets etc, etc I guess need creative wiring. Industrial, I assume, require very high supply. But how many personnel do those places need, and how many of those places exist?

I sure there are electricians that have their hooks/connection, and can get the big paying jobs when they want. But is 6 figures really the average for places like St Louis? If so, perhaps there is a dearth of electricians in those places, and more should think about moving there.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:46 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

You've just figured out what many can't. You aren't entitled to live here. I had to switch fields from biology to computer science to make good money here. Otherwise I would have had to move or.... take a lesser paying job.

Plumbers are always in great demand here.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You've just figured out what many can't. You aren't entitled to live here. I had to switch fields from biology to computer science to make good money here. Otherwise I would have had to move or.... take a lesser paying job.

Plumbers are always in great demand here.
This^^^
I did the same in my Field. Sometimes you have to switch it up and adjust with the times. If the field you're in has an unlimited supply of cheap labor than guess what

Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I sure there are electricians that have their hooks/connection, and can get the big paying jobs when they want. But is 6 figures really the average for places like St Louis? If so, perhaps there is a dearth of electricians in those places, and more should think about moving there.

I would expect an electrician working on an oil platform or at Mcmurdo Sound to be pulling six figures. Then again, I'd expect a janitor in either of those locations to be making an above average salary too. I'm a bit dubious of guys pulling this off most anywhere in the U.S. though.

As you said, it's the official sanctioning that artificially inflates the value of these "skilled" trades, not really the work itself. And California regulates/licenses tons of occupations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego