Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:26 AM

3,005 posts, read 1,675,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
IMO, WFH is an underrated benefit; moreso in a place like SD.
I agree although full-time WFH has been hard. I'm an introvert and pretty anti-social, and even I struggle with it. Ideally, I'd like to be in the office 1-2 days per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 07:17 AM

771 posts, read 829,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I agree although full-time WFH has been hard. I'm an introvert and pretty anti-social, and even I struggle with it. Ideally, I'd like to be in the office 1-2 days per week.
I'm similar. Outside the short term, it caused me to realize it's possible (maybe even preferable?) to separate my work and personal lives more. I had to find hobbies and other outlets in which to form social circles. The benefit is that then you evaluate your employer only on work -- you aren't tied in to having to consider uprooting your only/primary social outlet.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:47 AM

160 posts, read 154,093 times
This may help someone else searching the threat.

Based on your situation, I support the Kensington/Normal Heights/University Heights areas. That's a great place to be if you want a walkable area, and still not far from the northern part of the city for work. You can also grow into that area if you have a family.
Prices seem to have only gotten higher here the last several years. While you may not have a problem finding a rental within your budget, it will be more challenging to purchase. I saw a previous post about a 3 bedroom house for 200k; that's not anywhere near SD.

Don't be scared by the state income taxes. The state has progressive tax brackets. You hardly pay any tax until you hit the 6 figure mark, and you can write off lots of deductions on your state return. I still scratch my head at people who talk about how expensive this is. My spouse and I have paid between 3-4% of our gross income to state income taxes since we moved here, our lowest income was $225k.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:52 PM

771 posts, read 829,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
This may help someone else searching the threat.

Don't be scared by the state income taxes. The state has progressive tax brackets. You hardly pay any tax until you hit the 6 figure mark, and you can write off lots of deductions on your state return. I still scratch my head at people who talk about how expensive this is. My spouse and I have paid between 3-4% of our gross income to state income taxes since we moved here, our lowest income was $225k.
Curious what you're writing off to get down to that? I'd expect 6-7% at $225K MFJ and marginal at 9+%. Also, CA is aggressive with income tax in other ways such as treating all cap gains as ordinary income and (assuming you're a CA resident/domiciled), treating ALL your income as CA income, regardless of where earned. In fly-over country, paid 2.x% effective on over twice that income which works out to $30K+/year difference.

Old Today, 04:14 PM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gondola View Post
Hey all - moving to SD, seeking advice. Probably renting for a year then will look at buying.

We are currently in Seattle, and hate the weather and the city gov. My SO, from NYC, thought she was a liberal until she saw the PNW. She's decided she's more of a moderate...

Details:
- Late 30s, DINKs (+dog). We don't party, and don't want to be on top of college kids or party/bar scenes. We do want to be walkable to restaurants/bars/shops.
- Safe, fairly calm area. We're coming out of Capitol Hill in Seattle, so fewer needles and homeless would be a treat...
- Ideally near-ish to the ocean.
- Easy commute to office (north UTC/Torrey Pines), though WFH a lot. Need airport once a month.
- Don't need to pay for good schools. Would just like a good gym and a lap pool nearby maybe.

Any advice is appreciated. We liked La Jolla Village when we visited, but I worry it's just a retirement location (?).
Hey Mr Gondola, I'm almost in the same situation. DINKs moving from Seattle (cap hill) to SD. Where did you end up and how do you like it?

Old Today, 06:52 PM

15,113 posts, read 32,163,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris1029 View Post
Hey Mr Gondola, I'm almost in the same situation. DINKs moving from Seattle (cap hill) to SD. Where did you end up and how do you like it?
He last posted on here 11-11-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego