Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 25,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
So you don't recommend a huge Eucalyptus grove planted right next to one's house? A lot of properties don't have anywhere near 100' of lot between the house and the property line.

I was originally talking more about the fire risk maps the couple insurance companies I know use and/or disclosures for standard residential real estate transactions. You're probably more up on actual fire history -- have there been any wild fires in CB? (edit: in that northern part in and around Calavera Hills, not further south)

I actually did a drive-by a few weeks ago and when I saw all the hills and eucalyptus groves I was like . I was pleasantly surprised to see that in spite of that, for some reason most of Carlsbad is not in that red "very high risk" zone on the fire map. The surrounding communities seemed much redder on the map. One might say "oh well Carlsbad is a coastal area; those don't catch fire"--but up here the Laguna Hills fire burned all the way to the ocean in 1993.

When I talk to my friends in other fire prone (but less densely populated) parts of the US, they take defensible space very seriously. One of them tells me she'd be really scared to live in SoCal because on average houses are so much closer together and it's difficult to maintain that barrier.

(Sorry, not to distract from someguy10's question about the wildfire history around Calavera Hills, which I am also curious about!)

Last edited by xy313; 11-24-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,808,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
So you don't recommend a huge Eucalyptus grove planted right next to one's house? A lot of properties don't have anywhere near 100' of lot between the house and the property line.

I was originally talking more about the fire risk maps the couple insurance companies I know use and/or disclosures for standard residential real estate transactions. You're probably more up on actual fire history -- have there been any wild fires in CB? (edit: in that northern part in and around Calavera Hills, not further south)
"Hosp Grove" has been relatively fire free.

(Altho, back about 1973-4, I saw a small fire just getting going right in the middle of the grove.)

I was on my dirtbike. I rode home (5 mins), and called Carlsbad Fire. It was a very small fire, but had the potential of becoming a real problem. Anyway, I decided to ride back down into the forest, to check of the fireman's progress. I saw the fire was getting bigger (about the size of a typical living room, now.) But, I saw no fire engine. So, I continued searching for C'bad Fire. I turn a corner and about a half mile away, I see the truck stopped in the middle of the trail. I rode to them, the yelled, "THIS WAY!!" I ended up leading them to the small blaze. Luckily, it was still very low, and hadn't started any of the large eucalyptus overhead. They unfurled their hoses down an embankment, to the small "valley" where the flames were. They had it under control in 5 minutes, if that. Never saw any other fire stuff in Hosp Grove, or the Marron Valley Property.

This includes all the way to "El Salto Falls." Occasional homeless encampment will have a camp fire, but those are quickly addressed by Carlsbad's "HOT." (Homeless Outreach Team.)

Factoid~ Hosp Grove was planted in 1908. 219 acres of eucalyptus trees were planted. The idea was to sell the trees/lumber as railroad ties to the ATSF railroad. The only problem with this, is that eucalyptus trees "TWIST" as they grow. Well, railroad ties that twist are unsuitable. So, they abandoned the trees. Due to development encroachment, there's just a fraction of the original acreage. There are many houses built inside the forest now. (It's really a beautiful place.) The place really smells terrific when it rains. The trees give off their scent during rain.

Unfortunately, yesterday, hikers found a dead women's body at 11:23 am. Very sad, I hope they get the responsible party. (Carlsbad PD ALWAYS gets their evil doer.)

Old 11-25-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Factoid~ Hosp Grove was planted in 1908. 219 acres of eucalyptus trees were planted. The idea was to sell the trees/lumber as railroad ties to the ATSF railroad. The only problem with this, is that eucalyptus trees "TWIST" as they grow. Well, railroad ties that twist are unsuitable. So, they abandoned the trees. Due to development encroachment, there's just a fraction of the original acreage. There are many houses built inside the forest now. (It's really a beautiful place.) The place really smells terrific when it rains. The trees give off their scent during rain.
When I first read "Hosp Grove" on Google Maps I thought "Hosp" was an abbreviation for "Hospital." Upon further reading, I read that it was actually started by an F. P. Hosp.

Hosp Grove - Hiking San Diego County

Speaking of hospitals, in case anyone knows, what are the major local hospitals in the area? I know about Tri-City of course. Is the other one Scripps Encinitas?

Or in other words, if you lived in the area...

1. Where would you take your loved one if, say, they needed a minor procedure?

2. Where would you take them if they had some exotic disease? (Up here, you'd go to Hoag, UCI or UCLA). I am guessing there it's UCSD or Scripps La Jolla?

Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM

Palomar Medical Center is a relatively new hospital, located in Escondido.

If cardiac, then Tri-City.

Scripps has a facility in Encinitas. (Full service.)

Kaiser has a "clinic" in Carlsbad, and San Marcos. (I think.)

Scripps just built a huge new building in Oceanside, don't really know what the building is going to serve. Pretty sure it's not inpatient, maybe everything but?

VA has a clinic in Oceanside. Oceanside has a large retired military population.

And, of course, Camp Pendleton has a relatively new full service facility, on base.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Palomar Medical Center is a relatively new hospital, located in Escondido.

If cardiac, then Tri-City.

Scripps has a facility in Encinitas. (Full service.)

Kaiser has a "clinic" in Carlsbad, and San Marcos. (I think.)

Scripps just built a huge new building in Oceanside, don't really know what the building is going to serve. Pretty sure it's not inpatient, maybe everything but?

VA has a clinic in Oceanside. Oceanside has a large retired military population.

And, of course, Camp Pendleton has a relatively new full service facility, on base.
Great to know! Thanks. Sounds like for a civilian who doesn't have Kaiser, the main facilities are Tri-City or Scripps Encinitas.

I looked up the new Scripps in Oceanside: It's called Scripps Jefferson

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/7...s-in-oceanside

and does in fact appear to do all things outpatient.

Great info! Thanks.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:45 PM

37 posts, read 34,721 times
As long as you get out of Irvine, you will be fine.

Old 11-29-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahopotato View Post
As long as you get out of Irvine, you will be fine.
We just need to move due to work; we have no complaints about Irvine. There's a lot of job opportunity in my industry, the schools are great, there are parks everywhere, the weather is awesome, it's safe, UCI is here, and I've gotten to live around and work with really talented people from all over the world. We've been really happy here, and hopefully the next stop is even better.

Last edited by xy313; 11-29-2020 at 03:36 AM..

Old 11-29-2020, 04:29 PM

xy313~
Since you have young children, it makes sense to expose them to as many different things as possible (within reason.)

So, here are a few special interest things to do. (Might check availability due to COVID though.)

www.museumofmakingmusic.org

www.craftsmenshipmuseum.com (This one requires more than 1 visit.) Free too!

www.carlsbadstrawberrycompany.com

www.theflowerfields.com

www.sdbgarden.com

www.oceansidewhalewatching.com

This is just the "tip of the iceberg, too."

Old 11-29-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
xy313~
Since you have young children, it makes sense to expose them to as many different things as possible (within reason.)

So, here are a few special interest things to do. (Might check availability due to COVID though.)

www.museumofmakingmusic.org

www.craftsmenshipmuseum.com (This one requires more than 1 visit.) Free too!

www.carlsbadstrawberrycompany.com

www.theflowerfields.com

www.sdbgarden.com

www.oceansidewhalewatching.com

This is just the "tip of the iceberg, too."
What a lovely list! Thank you. No wonder people say the area is kid-friendly.

Like many parents I probably first learned of Carlsbad in connection with Legoland, to which a lot of my OC colleagues take their kids regularly on weekends. I knew about the flower fields--well, those are world-famous--but all of the rest of the places you listed are new to me. We did visit Oceanside a month or so ago just to look around and get oriented and after driving around (and realizing there were very few houses for sale) decided to stop at Oceanside Harbor. I saw a lot of boats coming into harbor with lots of people, so I guessed some might be whale watching tours. Other boats seemed like they were sport fishing trips--people were coming back holding some pretty big fish.

I was reading about the Strawberry Company and the family has owned it for four generations (!).

We saw a bunch of sea lions, dolphins, and pelicans too. That was neat. I know SoCal has sea lions and seals everywhere--I mean LA has "Seal Beach"--but it was my first time seeing them outside of Sea World or aquariums. It was nice. (Actually we heard the sea lions before seeing them.)

Old 11-29-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy313 View Post
What a lovely list! Thank you. No wonder people say the area is kid-friendly.

Like many parents I probably first learned of Carlsbad in connection with Legoland, to which a lot of my OC colleagues take their kids regularly on weekends. I knew about the flower fields--well, those are world-famous--but all of the rest of the places you listed are new to me. We did visit Oceanside a month or so ago just to look around and get oriented and after driving around (and realizing there were very few houses for sale) decided to stop at Oceanside Harbor. I saw a lot of boats coming into harbor with lots of people, so I guessed some might be whale watching tours. Other boats seemed like they were sport fishing trips--people were coming back holding some pretty big fish.

I was reading about the Strawberry Company and the family has owned it for four generations (!).

We saw a bunch of sea lions, dolphins, and pelicans too. That was neat. I know SoCal has sea lions and seals everywhere--I mean LA has "Seal Beach"--but it was my first time seeing them outside of Sea World or aquariums. It was nice. (Actually we heard the sea lions before seeing them.)
Yes, Jimmy Ukegawa was a classmate of mine, during the 60's & 70's. His dad "Roach" used to favor horse racing during the Del Mar meetings, every Summer. Roach, and his brother Kenji would "sneak" out of the office to make the 1st post (2 o'clock.)

The family operated many farms in the North County. One time, I was visiting Kenji, at Ranch 5 in Del Mar. (Off Black Mtn. Rd.)
Kenji was frantic, he had lost his wallet. (He was an older guy, that kept a lot of cash on him. Just in case, he wanted/needed to make a bet.) Anyway, he has one of his mechanics tearing the seat out of his pick-up truck, right there at the farm. I asked "What's going on?" Kenji tells me about his wallet missing. I told him I'd keep my eyes peeled for it, and left. I get 200 yards away from Kenji, and the wallet is spread open, right in the middle of the dirt road leaving the farm. The wallet had so much money in it, that it wouldn't fold. I stop, then call Kenji to come over. He says he's busy. I yelled back, "YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO SEE THIS!" He walks over, practically sweating from stress. I step aside of the wallet to reveal it. He lunges for the wallet as I get outta the way. He's so thankful, he tries to give me a few hundred dollars for finding it. I told him, "No, I'll take it in Karma, later." He offered again. I shook my head "no", but thank you. Word gets back to his nephew Jimmy, that I refused a reward. Jimmy, being of Japanese decent, knew the value of "Karma" and did understand my choice. For years, I did a fair amount of business with Leslie Farms/Carlsbad Strawberry Co. Until I retired.

Anyway, there you go. (Anytime I want a flat of berries, I know where to go!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego