Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,410,577 times

Advertisements

I’d look at unincorporated El Cajon (like Granite Hills & Rancho San Diego). Plenty of gorgeous properties within your budget with the land and/or garages already built that you desire. You’ll be a lot closer to San Diego than those rural properties in North County you’re considering. While they were cancelled this year, downtown El Cajon (Wednesday) and downtown La Mesa (Thursday) have classic shows all summer.

Here’s one in Granite Hills for $780K on 1 acre with a (spacious) 4 car garage, and a pool. Only 25 minutes to downtown.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/El-Cajon/5...m_content=link

This one in Rancho San Diego for $900K is only on 3/4 acre, but is much larger than the other house. It also has a pool, but it only has a very large 2 car garage. There is tons of space next to it in the driveway to expand. Same distance to downtown San Diego.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/El-Cajon/1...m_content=link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 10:46 AM

5,556 posts, read 4,510,676 times
As a fellow car guy, I know exactly what OP is looking for.

Budget will be the limiting factor. There are many homes on land with detached 4+ car garages but they are in RSF, so the prices are $4M+.

For a $1.5M budget, you'll need to look in the more rural areas, which just happen to be in the more inland areas which are warmer with no fog. So that works out.

As long as we're dreaming, I've often wished for a "racetrack country club" type development somewhere near SD county. A development like this would be great for some of the indian tribal land as a draw. Near Pala east of the 76 for instance.

The nearest track developments are Thermal( https://www.thermal.cc) near Indio, and Apex (https://apexmotorclub.com) onside Phoenix.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:34 AM

10,134 posts, read 6,558,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Yes. My lift comment was made in jest.
Where is this airport community? Sounds cool.
Blackinton Airport Property is one locale. Just off Old Castle Rd. (There are TONS of twisties in that area!)

There's another runway on Lilac Rd, but I don't think it's "improved."

Now, about "lifts." It's not unusual to see a couple 4 post lifts inside a typical garage. (Gotta check ceiling/door clearances tho.)

A house sold on El Fuerte in La Costa a couple years ago. It advertised: An 11 car garage. (16 with skates.) I think it had a heli-pad too.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,523,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Here’s one in Granite Hills for $780K on 1 acre with a (spacious) 4 car garage, and a pool. Only 25 minutes to downtown.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/El-Cajon/5...m_content=link
That's a nice house for a sub-$1M car guy. It was on the market for 8 days.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,410,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That's a nice house for a sub-$1M car guy. It was on the market for 8 days.
About 1 week (or less) seems to be the what houses stay on the MLS these days. We go driving in the back country and pass by these East County gems all the time on the way. It’s amazing that you can still be less than 30 minutes to the beach/downtown, yet pay significantly less for way more house and land. Yes it will be hotter in the summer, but 8-9 months out of the year it’ll be comparable, if not nicer?

Old 11-26-2020, 06:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,523,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
About 1 week (or less) seems to be the what houses stay on the MLS these days. We go driving in the back country and pass by these East County gems all the time on the way. It’s amazing that you can still be less than 30 minutes to the beach/downtown, yet pay significantly less for way more house and land. Yes it will be hotter in the summer, but 8-9 months out of the year it’ll be comparable, if not nicer?
We almost bought a 'car guy' house in Lakeside last year. The property had some water runoff problems, so we walked.

52 to 67 make it an easy drive to Lakeside. When normal traffic patterns return, you just need to watch the time of day you travel to and from Lakeside. It could be a 20 minute drive or a 2 hour drive on 52.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM

168 posts, read 118,079 times
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far!

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers, Ken

Old 11-27-2020, 12:06 PM

178 posts, read 195,981 times
You can filter on the MLS for homes with 3 covered garage spaces. DM me if you want me to set you up.im not sure if you can filter for that in zillow or not. I don't know any specific car communities, but I think you will find more gearheads a little further inland.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:12 PM

10,134 posts, read 6,558,646 times
SoCal Car Culture - Car Shows - Cruise Nights - Photos

Old 11-30-2020, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,364 times
We will be selling our home in a few months. We live in Ramona, (about 35 miles northeast of downtown San Diego) on 5 acres, house built in 2004, single story, about 3,100 square feet, with a 3 car garage, and a pool. My husband, a serious car guy, had a 1,500 square foot separate garage built about 10 years ago. It has double RV size doors and has 2 four poster car lifts installed. Plus, there is room for a couch, and lots of tools and storage cabinets. We also have a horse barn and corrals. All set for the good life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego