Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,188 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the prospect of commuting from North County (We're planning on buying in San Marcos) to Sorrento Valley. Can I get there via the train? I don't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic, and shell out $300/400 a month for gasoline in the process. I'm starting to look at areas that are closer (Carmel Valley, Scripps) - but the bang for the buck is not there. Plus, didn't those areas really take it during last year's fires? Any insight that you guys could provide would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,359,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbray77 View Post
I'm looking at the prospect of commuting from North County (We're planning on buying in San Marcos) to Sorrento Valley. Can I get there via the train? I don't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic, and shell out $300/400 a month for gasoline in the process. I'm starting to look at areas that are closer (Carmel Valley, Scripps) - but the bang for the buck is not there. Plus, didn't those areas really take it during last year's fires? Any insight that you guys could provide would be much appreciated.
You can do the sprinter -> coaster commute, but you'd need to figure out the last leg as the sorrento coaster station is really kind of off in a corner unless you work right down there. There are some shuttles. Realistically I don't think you will save any time over the normal traffic (which is heavy) but you will save some stress.

There is a reason why Carmel Valley and Scripps have such higher costs - you've just discovered it. The commute from San Marcos to Sorrento Valley may be the worst in San Diego County.

As for fire danger, everything north of 52 is essentially at risk, the 78 corridor moreso than Carmel Valley IMO. It's just a matter of time.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM

18,963 posts, read 32,437,457 times
If you don't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic then you'll pretty much have to take the train. There is a Coaster station in Sorrento Valley but getting to all of the office parks requires a connecting shuttle ride b/c virtually nothing is in walking distance to the Coaster station. The commute on I-5 South between North County and Sorrento Valley is one of the worst in the region and is a parking lot from about Pointsettia Dr all the way down to the Via Del La Valle exit.

There is a new light rail system in North County called The Sprinter which runs between Escondido and Oceanside, so you could take that to the Coaster station in Oceanside then the Coaster down to SV. Or you could just drive directly to the Coaster station, which would probably be quicker. So i would check the Coaster schedules and see if it's something you would want to do b/c it mostly likely will be at least a 45 minute to 60 minute commute door to door using the train when you factor in waiting time for the train, driving time to the station, parking, then the connecting shuttle from the Sorrento Valley station to your job. Plenty of people take the Coaster from NC to SV and take shuttles to their job so it's very doable, but kind of depends on what you are willing to put up with.

Also if you decide to take the public transit route I would look into joining SANDAG's Guaranteed Ride Home program. Since the Coaster is a commuter train it doesn't have much service mid day as do the shuttles. So if you have to leave work early for any reason, the GRH program will subsidize a taxi or shuttle to get you home with a really small co pay of around $3 a trip, I think you get at least 3 subsidized trips a year, maybe more.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 AM

6 posts, read 21,916 times
The commute is BAD from SM to SV. I would highly recommend you try to find a home closer to the city if at all possible. The reason San Marcos is less expensive is just this reason, but not worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 AM

786 posts, read 3,910,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mso1 View Post
The commute is BAD from SM to SV. I would highly recommend you try to find a home closer to the city if at all possible. The reason San Marcos is less expensive is just this reason, but not worth it in my opinion.
How about Rancho Penasquitos? It would be a really easy commute from there, you could probably find something reasonably priced and it is a nice area.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 PM

19 posts, read 71,990 times
Yes,Sprinter/Coaster way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego