Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:41 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Have you met Bruce, “The Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy?”

https://youtu.be/tNJ7oqZTplo
We had some of those in NYC. Ask any old timers about the Purple Man in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 09:31 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This thread is hilarious.

A rant about O'side by a 'Zonie. Hilarious.

Then the majority of posters putting their two cents in don't even live in CA. More hilarious.

Sorry OP, but you lost any credibility on your rant when you said that you'd rather vacation in San Ysidro than O'side. And that Escondido is a great place for vacation. Uh ok.

O'side has some gritty character still, but that's what makes it its own. Does every coastal city have to be upscale suburbia?
Exactly....tuned out. And NO, thank Almighty God they aren't. Blind snotty people are the bain of coastal towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Some of us actually prefer the grittier beach areas like Imperial Beach, OB and Oceanside over uber wealthy ones like La Jolla and Del Mar. Something about it not being an exclusively wealthy area makes it more enjoyable for me and people like me to visit.
Yup, exactly.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:08 PM

268 posts, read 206,047 times
OP, not sure where you're from in AZ, but if it's Phoenix, that's funny you think Oceanside drivers are aggressive given that one risks their life each time they get on the 101 freeway in Phoenix. Also, if you like hiking in the hot hills of Escondido, you don't have to leave Phoenix (which is pretty hot in the Spring & has plenty of mountains & hiking).

Also, given there are less than 500 homeless people in Oceanside documented by the latest count, I'm shocked you managed to encounter hundreds of them on a vacation there. Remember, big cities like LA/NYC/Chicago have like 70-80 THOUSAND homeless people. I believe Carlsbad/Encinitas have less than 200 homeless counted, but they also have populations about half to 2/3 of Oceanside. BTW, Escondido's homeless population is on par with Oceanside. Not surprised you didn't encounter them on hilly trails enjoying Bouganvillea, but they were probably in the downtown Escondido area.

Also, you must not be very familiar with Orange County because there are plenty of areas much "rougher" than Oceanside there. It's not all Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar & Newport Beach or bedroom communities up the 5.

Agree that Harbor Village & Downtown Oceanside are "touristy" but that's true of most coastal towns (touristy areas). Oceanside has some of the best restaurants in north county (& San Diego!) including one just named by Michelin as a Top 5 discovery in SD & probably one of the most creative sushi chefs. (You know them if you appreciate Oceanside's emerging dining scene).

Oceanside is definitely "grittier" than Encinitas/Carlsbad, but that's what makes it interesting & a little funky.

Finally, if you know of many "houses" that only cost $350K, you could do really well here as a realtor as I'm not aware of anywhere in coastal Oceanside you can buy at that price. Even an abandoned shack.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:27 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
The OP is a troll...who posts numerous threads on other parts of C-D that are just nonsense about California and the coming apocalypse.

Oceanside is such a horrible place that the biggest upscale coastal resort built in SD County in decades is set to open later in 2021.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124004

Old 01-23-2021, 06:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Have you met Bruce, “The Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy?”

https://youtu.be/tNJ7oqZTplo

Thanks. I just subscribed to this guy. 73 years old & doing his thing. He has a awesome 1931 Model A. I miss Buccaneer Beach!

Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Thanks. I just subscribed to this guy. 73 years old & doing his thing. He has a awesome 1931 Model A. I miss Buccaneer Beach!
Buccaneer is still there, along with the Buccaneer Cafe. Was just there last Saturday.

Too bad Downtown O'side has lost it's charm, as a small, undeveloped community. Now, it looks like Wall Street. Just a shame.

www.osidealive.com

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-23-2021 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 01-24-2021, 03:51 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Buccaneer is still there, along with the Buccaneer Cafe. Was just there last Saturday.

Too bad Downtown O'side has lost it's charm, as a small, undeveloped community. Now, it looks like Wall Street. Just a shame.

Oceanside, CA @ OsideAlive.com

Yeah, I know it is but I"m not! Wish they hadn't *gentrified* O'side all along the coast.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Oside is like PB in the late 80s or 90s. Love that place. Every beach area has gang bangers, junkies and homeless, it's part of the CA coast.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 PM

70 posts, read 85,795 times
I live in Carlsbad but I love going to the harbor and the Oceanside beaches are more my speed. The Carlsbad beaches are beautiful, but a lot of them have cliffs. The sand if packed nicely on most of the beaches and they are easy to walk on and access is easy. If I'm going to go hang out on sand, I'll be in O'side.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
How does Escondido (or even San Marcos/Vista) fit into this comparison of beach communities? Makes no sense but whatever... Also, as for San Marcos being a "college town" (?), you're the first I've ever heard say that. It may have two campuses but the vibe is far from anything resembling a typically college oriented location. As for Escondido, it's a big place. The areas on the fringe can indeed be nice, but the older/central parts can have a grittiness rivaling what you think is terrible in Oceanside; particularly gang activity and homelessness.
Complete troll statement. San Marcos is generic suburbia that happens to have local-oriented higher ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego