Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:52 PM

216 posts, read 258,695 times

Advertisements

Aside from the official dog beaches at Coronado, OB and Del Mar. Recently discovered on another thread that there are areas in IB where you can do this. Are there any other places where this can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 04:56 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Down at the border South of IB.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:17 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Kate Sessions Park in La Jolla. Official: it's a leash park. Unofficial: lots of dogs without leashes.

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction/2763

Old 02-18-2021, 07:16 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
There WAS a place in Carlsbad, but the City put the kibosh on it. Odd too, as they were actively selling permits to dog owners recently...

Old 02-18-2021, 07:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Kate Sessions Park in La Jolla. Official: it's a leash park. Unofficial: lots of dogs without leashes.

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction/2763
As a dog owner that USED to bring my dogs there over the years on a leash please don’t encourage more people to bring their dogs there off leash. That park has been overrun with entitled dog owners that have the audacity to get mad at you when you tell them to leash their unruly dogs.

Besides those already mentioned in the OP, Fiesta Island and IB south of the end of Seacoast Dr.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:22 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
As a dog owner that USED to bring my dogs there over the years on a leash please don’t encourage more people to bring their dogs there off leash. That park has been overrun with entitled dog owners that have the audacity to get mad at you when you tell them to leash their unruly dogs.
My male dog was totally socialized at 1 year old. A few months into his 2nd year, a dog attacked him in the La Jolla Cove area. Both dogs were on leashes. Our dog became fearful of all dogs and never came out of it.

I hired a trainer and worked with him at Kate Sessions Park. He was always on a leash during training. This time he was attacked by a pack of leashless dogs. Since my dog was on his leash, he couldn't run.

I picked him up and found the owner of these leashless dogs. I asked him to put his dogs on leashes as required by park rules. He told me to go f* myself while his leashless dogs surrounded me.

I called the City of San Diego on the phone and of course they told me I was right. However, they just don't have the staff to enforce leash laws.

So these days we just walk him around our neighborhood with assorted tools to discourage any attacking dogs.

It's a real shame that brainless dog owners have destroyed Kate Sessions Park. When I drive by the park these days, there are leashless dogs running everywhere.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
My male dog was totally socialized at 1 year old. A few months into his 2nd year, a dog attacked him in the La Jolla Cove area. Both dogs were on leashes. Our dog became fearful of all dogs and never came out of it.

I hired a trainer and worked with him at Kate Sessions Park. He was always on a leash during training. This time he was attacked by a pack of leashless dogs. Since my dog was on his leash, he couldn't run.

I picked him up and found the owner of these leashless dogs. I asked him to put his dogs on leashes as required by park rules. He told me to go f* myself while his leashless dogs surrounded me.

I called the City of San Diego on the phone and of course they told me I was right. However, they just don't have the staff to enforce leash laws.

So these days we just walk him around our neighborhood with assorted tools to discourage any attacking dogs.

It's a real shame that brainless dog owners have destroyed Kate Sessions Park. When I drive by the park these days, there are leashless dogs running everywhere.
It's like this in Ventura too. Every hipster asshat thinks his/her dog is "friendly" and under control while they crotch check every stranger, run through family picnics, chase/bark at/bite children, and **** on yoga nuts, until they run out in the street and get run over.

Even then, it's never their fault for not controlling their animal from running into traffic, but rather the fault of people "driving too fast."

Then they run to FB for a cathartic outpouring of sympathy from other dog nuts. This is followed by congratulatory messages when they head to the pound to pick up another untrained "rescue" to leave off-leash to be slaughtered on the road.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I was riding my bike and a pit comes charging at me, so I thought. Instead it veered off and attacked a really old lab on leash with an older lady. She was helpless to do anything. This guy comes running up and starts beating the dog with the LEASH. It could have gotten really ugly but it ended. I'm sure that old lab needed stitches. Idiots shouldn't own a dog. Kate Sessions is mostly chill but these idiot types will ruin it every time.

If you are too stupid to train your dog don't get one.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:36 PM

238 posts, read 555,768 times
Agree with those who advocate leashes when required by law. Not all people are dog lovers (ahem, case in point). I was attacked and injured by a stray as a child and it has never left me, and I am unable to overcome my fear of dogs as a result.

It seems we cannot go outdoors without being assaulted by off-leash dogs or dogs on extra-long leashes. People on their phones while the dog does whatever it wants, people who even encourage their dogs to 'socialize' with strangers (why are these people so insecure that they want everyone to love their dog? Isn't their own love enough?).

Go to the cities of Europe to see how it's done, people. Dogs behave. They stay on (short) leashes. They don't crotch-check strangers. I'm willing to bet they don't get run over much either. Love your animals? Then teach them boundaries (same goes for kids but that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

We visited Kate Sessions for the first (and last) time a few weeks ago. Frightening.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Went mountain biking in PQ canyon last weekend. Large signs at every entry point to the trails that says dogs must be on leash at all times.

Guess what. Dogs running free everywhere.

3 times during my ride I came upon free-roaming dogs blocking the trails. One time I was barely able to stop in time.

Of course all the "Dog Moms" scowl at me like I'm the one causing the problem.

No. I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego